Author Topic: Mirror recommendations  (Read 1105 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Mirror recommendations
« on: 26 June, 2020, 01:31:08 pm »
Looking for bar mountable mirror recommendations. I recently replaced the very scratched mirror on my bent with something from the LBS.  I can't remember what the old one was. The new one, while shiny, is convex, such that it has a wilde field of view but the images are tiny.

"objects in the mirror are closer than they appear" especially when they are approaching at R17.

What do people use for a commuting type recumbent?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Re: Mirror recommendations
« Reply #2 on: 26 June, 2020, 01:40:56 pm »
Hi Tim,
I use these for drops:
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessories/sprintech-racing-road-mirrors-black/
but probably not what you want, and they are convex - so ignore me!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 26 June, 2020, 06:27:17 pm »
They're all a bit convex.  A flat mirror wouldn't work very well.  (DAHIKT)

First and foremost, do you have the end of a handlebar to mount it to?  If not, it will severely limit your options.

I've got the larger ?80mm B&M Cyclestar on my Streetmachine (USS with bar-end shifters), on account of the band-on mounting option.

A pair of smaller Cyclestars on the bars of the Red Barron (tiller steering), again using the band-on mounting, inboard of the brake levers.  This puts the mirror above the hand grip, peering over my shoulder, and doesn't add any width to the bike.  More aero for racing, innit.

Barakta's trike was supplied with a Myrricle, which is an excellent mirror in the style of the larger Cyclestar, but bar-end mounting only.

Decathlon do cheap teardrop-shaped mirrors with bar-end mounting which are optically excellent.  Not sure about the longevity of the mounting (I've bodged a couple onto the mudguard supports of the above trike using a ball stud of appropriately unobtainium diameter from a supplier of car boot gas-lift thingers).

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #4 on: 30 June, 2020, 11:41:29 am »
Thanks for the replies. No bar end - here's a rather dark photo showing the current set up. The previous larger mirror mounted in the same place, using a similar Velcro secured bracket.

I can probably bodge a new mirror onto the existing mount if the one it comes with isn't suitable.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 30 June, 2020, 12:51:13 pm »
On that basis, I'd try an 80mm CycleStar.

« Reply #6 on: 08 July, 2020, 11:20:04 pm »
You could try a Myrricle mirror and a short bar end mounted where your mirror is now.
ICE do a nice mirror mount and you won't have to strip the handlebar to fit it BUT
it is rather ££ expensive!
Then again as soon as you mention "recumbent" everything goes up in price for some reason.