Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3813957 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #24550 on: 09 May, 2021, 08:37:28 pm »
Out with two other crews on a tandem club jaunt starting at Eastbourne. First business was to climb up Beachy Head. Vmax on the way down approached R17, at 70km/h.  No one died and no mechanicals. 74 km for the day.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #24551 on: 09 May, 2021, 08:46:03 pm »
A local circuit of 42 hilly miles on my favourite recumbent.  Mixture of quiet roads and bridlepaths.  Quite breezy but sunshine and warm compared to the last few days. Lots of cyclists out and about, and mostly sensible drivers.  When I were a lad being out on the bike seemed like a niche activity so I suppose there's been a bit of progress over the last thirty years.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

« Reply #24552 on: 09 May, 2021, 09:45:44 pm »
A Henley circuit with bjorn notp. 48 miles. Heavy rain between Marlow and maidenhead Riverside made the winter hill decent interesting  🙂
the slower you go the more you see

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24553 on: 09 May, 2021, 09:51:19 pm »
A Henley circuit on my own.  70km.  One drop of rain (at least I think it was rain) and pleasantly warm, but quite a lot of standing water in places.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #24554 on: 09 May, 2021, 10:14:46 pm »
Shame the two of you can't coordinate better.^^ I bet you can't even agree where Henley is.  ;)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #24555 on: 10 May, 2021, 07:35:53 am »
England  O:-)
the slower you go the more you see

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24556 on: 10 May, 2021, 11:49:53 am »
Agreed.

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #24557 on: 12 May, 2021, 04:56:22 pm »
A 70km loop yesterday out north from Ely following my old commuting route on the way out and the long way home on the way back down the river. Nice temperature with sunny periods, but a shower when stopped for some snacks at Wissington, and heavy hard rain from Ten Mile Bank to Littleport; warm & wet though, so fine.

« Reply #24558 on: 12 May, 2021, 09:25:11 pm »
Took the hired camper-van out to near Ilam and then did 40km and 970m of climbing. Just managed to avoid the rain all the way round.
 Beautiful views with lovely clear air. Got back to the van and showered with the most amazing view. Cup of coffee and then drive home.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #24559 on: 14 May, 2021, 08:02:48 pm »
Probably the only dry period for days to come, so I did the 30 mile "Keith Floyd"* route on the tourer in just under 2 hours.  The latex CX tubes make quite a difference.  Claimed 5W per wheel, and it feels it.

*takes in the bridge at Coleshill where he had his drink-driving incident
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #24560 on: 16 May, 2021, 04:45:44 pm »
A thoroughly pleasant 21km on the MTB today, exploring some local trails.

Not very far, or fast, but very enjoyable, considering just a few months ago I was needing to use crutches to walk due to as yet undiagnosed neurological issues

MTB ride by Brian Innes, on Flickr

MTB ride by Brian Innes, on Flickr

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

« Reply #24561 on: 16 May, 2021, 06:30:52 pm »
Second biggest ever ride today. Local charity ride called ride for Helen (Rollinson) and as started in next village made sense to cycle there

Weather forecast was absolutely awful but for most the ride was actually thinking I may need suncream although this may have been skewed by the yellow light enhancing glasses i wore.

Lovely route out from Hatfield Peverel to Takeley then a loopnround into Finchingfield and back via weathersfielsd. Almost all on quite roads with just one busy one. Few idiot drivers but not helped by an idiot cyclist who held us all up on the climbs and then raced past us on the downs before stalling going up again.

Few unusual sights including several penny farthings, a recumbent trike and someone on a shorter ride on a uni cycle.

One of the highlights was after stopping to answer the call of nature towards the end came back on the road having let my friends carry on as one was struggling a bit. Then had a couple of Ks chasing down riders on the shorter route as I chased my friends. Then got in behind a car which I used to pace myself back to my buddies

105km for the organised ride and the ride there and back gave me 123KM which is the furthest I have done for a long while. Was also really nice to ride some new roads 

We got fairly lucky with the weather but did get drenched near the end in a torrential shower. Were also a huge amount of visitations in the first 15 or so miles. The roads were wet but still an awful lot. Was glad to be on 35mm tyres

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #24562 on: 16 May, 2021, 07:03:49 pm »
... not helped by an idiot cyclist who held us all up on the climbs and then raced past us on the downs before stalling going up again.
I'm embarrassed to admit that this is often my role on a group ride. I'm overweight and out of shape which makes me slow uphill and fast down.

I've been on the receiving end too. I think it's just one of the hazards of group riding and the larger and more disparate the group, and the fewer the opportunities for passing, the more acutely it is felt.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #24563 on: 16 May, 2021, 08:59:31 pm »
Yes, to call someone an idiot, on what was presumably a casual ride anyway, because they had the common sense to use their weight disadvantage to advantage to enable them to get up the hills seems a bit harsh.  How long might the "sensible" group have had to wait if the rider hadn't done that?  But, that aside, it sounds like a very satisfying ride out and I would have liked to do it!

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #24564 on: 16 May, 2021, 10:33:26 pm »
200km yesterday but not an aduax

Short ride to Haymarket to catch the 0535 train to Stonehaven. 

Nice ride to Dunblane and train home.   Legs still a bit rusty. 

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/67337071

[/url]

[/url]

« Reply #24565 on: 17 May, 2021, 07:49:49 am »
Johnny, good to see you enjoying some of our fine local roads in Angus. I hope you managed to avoid the sand trap at about 88k, where you turn off the A94 just after Forfar.
I managed an undignified tumble there recently trying to ride through unexpectedly deep fine sand that had blown over the road from the adjacent field. Luckily nobody saw me.  :facepalm:

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #24566 on: 17 May, 2021, 10:14:26 am »
Probably the only dry period for days to come, so I did the 30 mile "Keith Floyd"* route on the tourer in just under 2 hours.  The latex CX tubes make quite a difference.  Claimed 5W per wheel, and it feels it.

*takes in the bridge at Coleshill where he had his drink-driving incident
This one?
https://goo.gl/maps/CsqdCniAH2kWDDxT6
I've always wanted to stop in the pub at the top and drink a pint of otter, but it's never been open when I've passed.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #24567 on: 17 May, 2021, 10:21:09 am »
Finally got out yesterday after a week or more of good intentions. And it rained, but only sporadically. Had no plans other than a general direction, a packed lunch and a thermos of tea! Ended up doing 105km, which is (ahem) easily the longest ride this year. Had taken the heavy black bike for obscure reasons, and was glad of the wider tyres as I took several byways, and the disc brakes helped me descend Hinton Hill (about 15% but twisty and the surface always has running water) faster than usual. Equally, I'd been glad of the low gears climbing it in the morning.

Perhaps it's just a Sunday phenomenon but there seems to be a new trend on single-track lanes, with drivers pulling in to passing places and waiting. And then waving (yeah, must be a Sunday thing!). Even where the road is narrowed by parked cars.

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #24568 on: 17 May, 2021, 04:30:19 pm »
Johnny, good to see you enjoying some of our fine local roads in Angus. I hope you managed to avoid the sand trap at about 88k, where you turn off the A94 just after Forfar.
I managed an undignified tumble there recently trying to ride through unexpectedly deep fine sand that had blown over the road from the adjacent field. Luckily nobody saw me.  :facepalm:

yes I noticed that at the turn off to Drumgley but managed to remain upright.  Ive noticed that the road between Fettercairn and Auchenblae seems similarly afflicted (towards the Auchenblae end where it has a tendency to flood).  Perhaps the official "Sanny Road" title should be reviewed and moved north from its current location between Wester Balgedie and Strathmiglo.   

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24569 on: 17 May, 2021, 06:15:47 pm »
... not helped by an idiot cyclist who held us all up on the climbs and then raced past us on the downs before stalling going up again.
I'm embarrassed to admit that this is often my role on a group ride. I'm overweight and out of shape which makes me slow uphill and fast down.

I've been on the receiving end too. I think it's just one of the hazards of group riding and the larger and more disparate the group, and the fewer the opportunities for passing, the more acutely it is felt.

Nahh, the idiots are the ones who overtake on climbs and then get in the way on the way down so you lose all your precious momentum.   :P

The real problem isn't playing leapfrog: It's always going to happen when you have a mix of feather/brick cyclists, tandems, recumbents, e-bikes and similar.  Good riders are aware of it and make room for those with different dynamics to pass, whatever their power/weight/drag coefficient.

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #24570 on: 18 May, 2021, 08:53:57 pm »
Did anybody else get caught out by the Old Testament style hail/thunderstorm this afternoon? Having had my planned ride today impacted by the non-arrival of the window cleaner, I got out for the second instalment just before the rains (etc) came. In the two and a half miles home I got literally soaked to the skin.
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #24571 on: 18 May, 2021, 10:41:11 pm »
Did anybody else get caught out by the Old Testament style hail/thunderstorm this afternoon? Having had my planned ride today impacted by the non-arrival of the window cleaner, I got out for the second instalment just before the rains (etc) came. In the two and a half miles home I got literally soaked to the skin.

Yes. Went out for a quick one at lunchtime. Just turned up a local hill when my Di2 lost the plot and left me in 34/11. I'd started the disconsolate plod up the hill when the heavens decided to disgorge themselves on my head. Very pissed off. And pissed on.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #24572 on: 20 May, 2021, 12:04:02 am »

Nahh, the idiots are the ones who overtake on climbs and then get in the way on the way down so you lose all your precious momentum.   :P
Am I guilty of that too? Was that on a pie run?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #24573 on: 20 May, 2021, 09:56:28 am »
I went out yesterday evening and the weather was lovely, covered a lot of hills in the Marple area. It's been a month since I've been out because I had  lot of pain in my knee so I was a relief to get out once more, now I can look forward to some adventures this summer once again.

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #24574 on: 21 May, 2021, 05:17:20 pm »
No, was planning to cycle Ely - Norwich and camp for a gathering on Saturday, but very gusty weather not appealing. Train beckons instead (there will be beer...).