Author Topic: Training plans for 'ultra endurance'  (Read 24226 times)

Re: Training plans for 'ultra endurance'
« Reply #75 on: 17 March, 2020, 09:52:57 am »
all these comments about 'feels like bludger is training for rowing'; do people realise that the power in rowing comes from the legs?

Most of what bludger is doing is going to train core strength. Upper body work would include a lot of standing rows, cable machine work, curls; I don't see any of that. He's training trunk muscles.

Not convinced that low numbers of reps are good for endurance strength training though. I do pyramids; 10 or 15 reps x 3, increase the weight between each set. Very limited time so I only do single-arm rows, crossovers, lat pull-downs and sometimes fit in curls. Really should be doing deadlifts, but gym is always super crowded.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Davef

« Reply #76 on: 17 March, 2020, 10:04:21 am »
Super crowded == forbidden for the foreseeable future

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #77 on: 17 March, 2020, 12:04:26 pm »
Super crowded == forbidden for the foreseeable future

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is the work gym and yes, it is now closed. :(
<i>Marmite slave</i>

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #78 on: 17 March, 2020, 12:08:58 pm »
Yes sadly training is suspended owing to social distancing protocols. I am riding the bike instead. The plus side is that all the events are now canceled anyway.

Shame as I was seeing good results with average speeds over longer distances etc. My hill climbing was also improving, I was going up hills quicker and in a bigger gear than before too. What can ya do.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #79 on: 17 March, 2020, 01:40:04 pm »
I've been doing Pilates most days over the winter and one longish (100 mile) ride a month

I'm going to switch to interval training when the weather improves a bit

Probably any proper long-distance riding will have to wait for weeks/months/years now.  Can't see that doing a 200km would be particularly sensible at the moment