Author Topic: Big Sur  (Read 4993 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Big Sur
« Reply #50 on: 05 March, 2021, 08:55:34 pm »
D is Not Happy about smaller SSD though we agreed we'd need external storage soon anyway. I don't know if Big Sur is STILL downloading. SSD only might be quicker but D's Virtual Organs are hungry beasties.
Anyway D did a face plant running back from B&Q and is more taken up with his injuries.
My bold.
That's never good.
Hope that any injuries aren't significant and heal swiftly.

Thanks! He has: [OT]
(click to show/hide)

« Reply #51 on: 05 March, 2021, 09:06:33 pm »
D is Not Happy about smaller SSD though we agreed we'd need external storage soon anyway. I don't know if Big Sur is STILL downloading. SSD only might be quicker but D's Virtual Organs are hungry beasties.
Anyway D did a face plant running back from B&Q and is more taken up with his injuries.
My bold.
That's never good.
Hope that any injuries aren't significant and heal swiftly.

Thanks! He has: [OT]
(click to show/hide)
Sounds like a killer Friday night out  :P

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #52 on: 05 March, 2021, 09:46:34 pm »
(click to show/hide)
He's live on Facebook right now but the camera is to his left and all the damage is on the right.
I'll be ordering a Chinese meal soon.

ian

« Reply #53 on: 05 March, 2021, 09:56:55 pm »
I have a four terabyte drive dangled off the back, a-ok for storage and leaves the SSD mostly free. You'll never exhaust a 250 GB SSD unless you go crazy. I have Office 365, Adobe Creative Cloud etc.

I have enough scars that falling over won't noticeably add any more. Chicks come from afar to dig them.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #54 on: 05 March, 2021, 11:41:26 pm »
He's not had anything scar his face since he had chickenpox at 16. This damage will heal in a week and all but disappear in a year but he's VERY upset, poor drama queen.

He says the Activity Monitor shows little going on in big iMac upstairs, which makes its tardiness all the more frustrating. Despite the 256GB SSD seeming small to him. I suspect new machine will work better. We'll need to get some BIG external storage.

Big Sur has now downloaded on NEW! SHINY! machine but D is loath to transfer too much onto it...

Chinese meal was nice.

« Reply #55 on: 06 March, 2021, 02:57:58 pm »
I am not a fan of the fusion drives.  I have not found them to live upto expectation and would now go either full on 1Tb SSD or 256 Gb ssd and external ssd.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #56 on: 06 March, 2021, 03:57:55 pm »
I am not a fan of the fusion drives.  I have not found them to live upto expectation and would now go either full on 1Tb SSD or 256 Gb ssd and external ssd.

The 256GB SSD is not big enough for All His Stuffs and he'd had to do Much Fiddling to get things to work. Certainly the the 2TB Fusion drive and only 8GB RAM have not performed well on the 27" iMac upstairs. New RAM arrived today and this should improve performance.

D's at a webinar on the new iMac in the shed right now.

We'll see how things do with external HDD.

He has a piano Zoom next...

I'd be interested to read of your Fusion issues, if nothing but to placate a FURIOUS partner.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #57 on: 06 March, 2021, 04:07:43 pm »

The 256GB SSD is not big enough for All His Stuffs and he'd had to do Much Fiddling to get things to work. Certainly the the 2TB Fusion drive and only 8GB RAM have not performed well on the 27" iMac upstairs. New RAM arrived today and this should improve performance.

D's at a webinar on the new iMac in the shed right now.

We'll see how things do with external HDD.

He has a piano Zoom next...

I'd be interested to read of your Fusion issues, if nothing but to placate a FURIOUS partner.
My bold. Under similar circumstances I would be told that if it was that important I a)do it myself, and b) not expect others to do it for them.  :)
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #58 on: 06 March, 2021, 04:39:18 pm »
Personal whinge

(click to show/hide)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #59 on: 06 March, 2021, 04:49:32 pm »
They could go on an external drive. What external ports have you got on the iMac?

Generally Apple's excuse for selling machines with low RAM is that everything is in the Cloud. I don't like In The Clod, hence I have a 2TB SSD in my machine. However, with modern port speeds, an external drive shouldn't be a problem. USB 3, USB C and Thunderbolt are all fine. 1TB of fast external USB SSD, c£140
It is simpler than it looks.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #60 on: 06 March, 2021, 04:57:33 pm »
There are loads of ports but these are round the back, which is a bit awkward.

These emails have various passwords and access to apps and programs, which, he says, need to be on the main system drive.

He WILL manage...

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #61 on: 06 March, 2021, 05:05:19 pm »
<wispers>Sounds like a job for a password manager. And an Email archiver</wispers>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #62 on: 06 March, 2021, 05:13:43 pm »
I'm sure he knows of more efficient ways to manage his affairs but is too lazy/apathetic important to invest the time and effort.

If necessity forces him to trim his operations, I won't be sorry.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #63 on: 06 March, 2021, 05:29:28 pm »
Generally Apple's excuse for selling machines with low RAM is that everything is in the Cloud. I don't like In The Clod, hence I have a 2TB SSD in my machine. However, with modern port speeds, an external drive shouldn't be a problem. USB 3, USB C and Thunderbolt are all fine. 1TB of fast external USB SSD, c£140

You're confusing memory with storage.  If anything, having all your stuff in the cloud means you need more RAM for caching things.

Apple provide computers with disappointingly small disks to make them slightly cheaper.

« Reply #64 on: 06 March, 2021, 05:47:51 pm »
Apple provide computers with disappointingly small disks to make them slightly cheaper.

... to encourage you to pay lots more squids for the higher end models / larger drive options.

The normal solution with iMacs is to buy a USB SSD and velcro it to the back.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #65 on: 06 March, 2021, 06:04:13 pm »

You're confusing memory with storage.  If anything, having all your stuff in the cloud means you need more RAM for caching things.

Yeah, it's a confused use of the term, consider it a typo, should have been Storage, or however SSD and HD should be referred to.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #66 on: 06 March, 2021, 06:09:15 pm »
AppleComputer manufacturers provide computers with disappointingly small disks to make them slightly cheaper.

Checking out the Dell site, most machines start off with 256GB of storage.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #67 on: 06 March, 2021, 07:11:14 pm »
D is putting MOAR RAM into 27" iMac upstairs. It is expandable.
NEW SHINY 21.5" iMac's RAM is not expandable but I did get model with the most.
D watched webinar from NEW SHINY iMac in the shed and said it was fast, which is an expected relief.
Will Observe Events.

« Reply #68 on: 08 March, 2021, 09:41:30 pm »
Another update. That’s quite frequent by Apple standards.

Big Sur has always seemed to work well on this (2020 13” Retina Air 1.1GHz 16GB RAM). It’s actually the Air as a whole that I’m not quite 100% pleased with - suspect the M1 Airs are better. Just the odd glitch that I don’t recall having with my 2011 i7 Air - occasional short freezes mainly, and a lot of fan activity at times.