Author Topic: Racism in sport  (Read 5290 times)

Racism in sport
« on: 06 May, 2021, 08:37:54 pm »
There's been a racist incident in RL, not sure the details but it was commented about as the perpetrator said something along the lines of "you dumb fuck" but threw in a racist term (e.g. "black").
He's been banned for 8 games and the coach from the other side reckons this is overly lenient.  Worth pointing out that the season is 23 matches, so 8/23 is more than 1/3 of the season.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/57010761
Hull FC head coach Brett Hodgson feels an opportunity was missed to "send a clear message" on racism after Wigan prop Tony Clubb received a "lenient" eight-game ban for a racist remark.
I wouldn't expect the 11-a-side code to do half as much.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Re: Racism in sport
« Reply #1 on: 06 May, 2021, 09:19:34 pm »
The other week a Scottish footballer with well known mental health issues, retired at half time following a player telling him "you should do it properly next time"

Plenty of problems with sledging in sport.
The fact it even has a nickname in Cricket...

« Reply #2 on: 07 May, 2021, 12:32:51 am »
"We have considered the evidence of both players and the circumstances surrounding the allegation and find that we are reasonably satisfied, taking into account the seriousness of the charge, that the words were said, albeit in the heat of the moment, but nevertheless were said."

Clubb, who was suspended by Wigan on Friday after they started their own investigation, was also fined £500.

In handing down the decision on Tuesday, Kearl said Clubb "brought the game into disrepute" but added that the tribunal "do not find that he is a racist" after taking into account character references presented by his club.

The initial charge issued by the Rugby Football League was given the most severe grading, although it is then down to the tribunal panel to process the findings and issue the penalty.

Worth pointing out that these people aren't on footballer salaries, but still £500 is a token gesture.  Will be interesting to see what his club do.

Not sure how "he's not racist, he just says racist things" works as a defence or a mitigating circumstance, or character reference ...

But, RL leading the way.

« Reply #3 on: 29 May, 2021, 11:27:38 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/57286328
Featherstone winger banned for 10 weeks for racist comment
That is half of the remaining games.

« Reply #4 on: 03 June, 2021, 12:40:29 pm »
1st Test at Lords is shaping up nicely.  New Zealand were 250+ for 3 overnight, with the probable racist Ollie Robinson of tweets controversy having toughed it out to take two of the wickets.  He's got another one today and NZ has lost 3 wickets for 5 runs to be about 270 for 6.  Conway has scored the highest test score for a debutant in England.  His first name is Devon and I keep seeing Devon Cornwall in my mind!  Robinson protests his stupidity and that he's a changed man.  I hope it's the case and want to give him the benefit of the doubt but the nature of the tweets I've seen say "racist" like letters through Blackpool rock.  I'm sure he has changed outwardly but inwardly?

« Reply #5 on: 04 June, 2021, 11:57:41 am »
So, racist tweets in Cricket, slap on the wrist, token fine, learning experience or proper sanction?

To contextualise the above examples, 8-10 matches for racism, 2 for headbutting an opponent and 3 for dissent..

« Reply #6 on: 04 June, 2021, 12:18:18 pm »
I'm not sure there have been any sanctions yet, have there?  Your (presumably) RL examples are steps in the right direction but woefully inadequate.  The length of ban looks draconian but I would ban them until they have been on the courses like council employees go on incredibly regularly - and that's all council employees in Rochdale, not ones who have committed an offence.  Maybe they are sent on courses, I don't know.  And a 2 game ban for a head-butt.  That's butch in the extreme: "Eh, well, it's a man's game!". 3 games for dissent just says that violence is more tolerated.

Be interesting to see how this develops.

« Reply #7 on: 04 June, 2021, 12:28:19 pm »
Here's a link to a story about alleged racism in the NFL, where African Americans are being
treated unequally to their white counterparts when in comes to obtaining compensation for
historical concussion in the sport:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-57337296

« Reply #8 on: 06 June, 2021, 06:03:21 pm »
Warming his hands on the dying embers of this first test against New Zealand, Uber-pundit Michael Vaughan suggests that Robinson will be dropped from the next game because of his disgraceful racist tweets and adds that he thinks the decision would be right.  In the next sentence, or maybe part of the same, he further suggests that Overton may be brought in to replace either Anderson or Broad.  This would be replacing a one time world-beater with someone who has never been a stand-out at all - and who has form for, wait for it - racism.  this is the same uber-pundit who chastised the ECB for not doing "due diligence" on Robinson's background.  You couldn't make it up.

« Reply #9 on: 07 June, 2021, 02:50:56 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/57383097
A spokesperson for Mr Johnson said: "The PM is supportive of Oliver Dowden's comments. As Dowden set out, these were comments made more than a decade ago written by someone as a teenager and for which they've rightly apologised."

Short statue of limitations on racism?  I am conflicted on this, people can change their views in 10 years, but saying that it happened a long time ago when he was a teenager is not really genuine, 10 years is not so long and 18/19 is not a teenager, it's an adult.  If he'd done some GBH he wouldn't be able to ask for clean record because "it was 10 years ago and I was a teenager".

I am not certain what Robinson should do to show that he no longer has the views he had 10 years ago, but I do agree that suspending him until this has been resolved is the correct decision (which is even more obvious as Boris disagrees and compasses that point South do have their use).

« Reply #10 on: 07 June, 2021, 03:06:39 pm »
Meanwhile, the culture secretary is happy to support those who boo kneeing to protest against racism. All about the culture war init.

« Reply #11 on: 07 June, 2021, 05:38:59 pm »
This is probably in the same vein as requiring universities to give a platform to the ALT right.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #12 on: 07 June, 2021, 07:35:34 pm »
My concern about racism in sports and that Cricket example is that the news is centering the white racist guy (young or not) over the people of colour who are individually and collectively hurt by racism.

White folk seem to expect our bigotry to be forgiven after an apology rather than more evidence to show growth and learning. I might be inclined to embrace the power of AND. Have Robinson suspended for a period of time, pay a People of Colour led anti-racism organisation provide him with training AND encourage him to participate in anti-racist work sharing his experience and saying "I was a racist numpty, don't be like me, support these guys".

A question of who gets to decide a racist is forgiven when the structures and institutions are racist (not overtly or intentionally, but still racist).

« Reply #13 on: 07 June, 2021, 11:09:53 pm »
Actually Barakta, that's pretty much what Jonathan Agnew, Test Match Commentator, ex-cricketer and white has said, today:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/57387781

« Reply #14 on: 08 June, 2021, 01:26:54 pm »
"If I was Ollie Robinson I'm not sure I'd want Boris Johnson involved and trying to support me."
Ramprakash, who was also England batting coach between 2014 and 2017, added the England dressing room would have been a "pretty toxic place" if Jofra Archer or Moeen Ali had been part of the same team as Robinson at Lord's.
"I've heard people express sort of sympathy with Ollie Robinson, and say 'hasn't he shown a lot of character?', but I haven't heard enough about the victims or the people that these tweets are aimed at," said Ramprakash.
"How do they feel? Where is the sympathy for those people? They are UK citizens, a lot of them.
"We live in a diverse society and we really don't want this behaviour."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/57387781

« Reply #15 on: 08 June, 2021, 01:48:51 pm »
Spot on.

« Reply #16 on: 09 June, 2021, 11:26:18 pm »
This is an absolute cracker!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-57418141

Try and stay with it till you get to the team management's explanation.

Presumably the Serbians don't speak ... Serbian.

Oh Well - at least Ratko Mladic is staying locked up.  Yeah, I know, "Plenty more where he came from."

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #17 on: 09 June, 2021, 11:43:19 pm »
“A simple misunderstanding” on a par with Phil the Greek's casual racism in China that time :facepalm:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #18 on: 09 June, 2021, 11:59:30 pm »
It was the bit about it being sign language for "let's defend like them" that got me!

« Reply #19 on: 11 June, 2021, 11:11:55 am »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-57439088
Euro 2020: Johnson must back Rashford taking the knee - Gordon Brown
Downing Street ... has not condemned the supporters who jeered when England played Austria and Romania in pre-tournament warm-up matches in Middlesbrough.
And education minister Gillian Keegan said taking the knee was "creating division", claiming Black Lives Matter believed in "defunding the police and the overthrow of capitalism".

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #20 on: 11 June, 2021, 01:57:53 pm »
One thing I have never understood with racism in sport. You hate someone because of their colour of their skin, where they are from, what they say, how they look etc. Yet you are happy with spending your hard earned cash, every week, in support of them getting richer and the hope that "your" team wins the next game.

If you clearly don't agree with them, hate them, dislike them for who they are and what they do. Why don't you totally ignore them and their sponsors and make sure that you and your friends makes sure that your riches don't becomes theirs?
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #21 on: 11 June, 2021, 02:11:50 pm »
Woolly, I think it may have something to do with being thick?

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #22 on: 11 June, 2021, 02:23:11 pm »
point well made
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #23 on: 11 June, 2021, 11:20:41 pm »
wooly, isn't it the opposition that will use the racist taunts?

« Reply #24 on: 11 June, 2021, 11:36:57 pm »
It goes back a long way and fans have been known to insult their own black players - I think John Barnes may have been one but I'm not certain.