General Category > Freewheeling

Elephant in the room

(1/13) > >>

De Sisti:
As the subject headers says, it had to be raised in the slower section of our cycling club
which I lead every Saturday. For the past nine months three middle-age ladies have been
riding with us. I've known them from a keep-fit class They are all extremely good half-marathon
runners, achieving times of between 1 hr 30 mins - 1 hr 45 mins.

Last year (in one of the classes) they heard me talk about cycling and said that because
they also cycle, they would be interested in joining our club, but were afraid of slowing down
the other riders. I then suggested they come out with me to one of our flatter Saturday cafe
runs and I'd ride at the pace the group normally cycles at, and if they can keep up with me
they would be ok.

The ride ride was about 35 miles. At no time did they attempt to keep up with me, which
meant that I was having to slow down to stay with them and keep the ride amicable.

At the end of the ride, having some banter and in a jovial way, I said that I'd grade them
a C+, but if stretching it, a B-. We all laughed about it, but in reality they were neither.
They way they rode it was like they were three schoolgirls at the back of a classroom
having a natter.

Since they started with our slowest group we have been having to stop time and time again
for them to catch up. I have suggested that they ride towards the front of the group
in order for them not to fall behind. This advice is ignored, so the start-stop-start nature
of the rides have contined, as I did not want to discourage them.

It transpired that other riders in the grpup were unhappy about the way the rides were
progressing, but weren't prepared to be vocal about it. I asked them individually what they
would do in my position. All the replies they gave me were; "It's a difficult decision".

I mentioned our problem to our road captain and club chairman. They both told me they'd
be behind any decision I make. So, before yesterday's ride started I told the women where
we were heading (they knew where the cafe was) and the after nine months of riding they
should be capable of staying with the group, but in order to keep the group together, if they
continually dropped behind, we'd meet them at the cafe. The road captain was with me
when I made my suggestion.

This did not go down well at all. Our group was large enough to split into two. When we arrived
at the cafe the three ladies arrived after us and sat on a table by themselves. I went over
to chat to them but there was a very tense atmosphere.

They told me they were upset that I said we would no longer wait for them if they dropped
behind and that they expected us to stay with them if they turn up for a ride. One suggested
(as they have in some running club) a 'sweeper' to stay behind the slowest rider. They went
on to say that they were only ever 5 seconds behind the group. I assure you, that is not the
case.

Two of them said they wanted a leisurely ride and are not prepared to ride faster and will no
longer turn up. The third lady said she didn't like being told she couldn't ride with us. We
never said that. From the start, we have told them the should expect to be out of their
comfort zone for a few rides in order to improve. They all did that with their running, but
not for cycling.

The end result of this is that they no longer want to speak to me. It has hurt me a bit because
on each ride that I have led with them I have given support and encouragement to them,
but all the good-natured behaviour towards them has back-fired.

I have mentioned it to some of the group members who expressed their frustration about the
start-stop-start nature of our recent rides and they all said the elephant in the room had to
tackled sooner rather than later.

Hot Flatus:
Sounds like the problem is solved. Well done for telling them. Don't feel bad about it.

Blodwyn Pig:
Doubtless, if your club started a VERY slow group, then they would still be at the back. I’ve been back marker many times before, and some people just don’t ‘get it’. It can be so frustrating when you can see the main pack up ahead, and a big gap between them and the person at the back ( who you are staying with) , and a long down hill approaches, and what do they do……….? they coast down the hill rather than speed up to catch up the rest. No amount of ‘telling’ will get the message through, and I’m not talking about beginners either.  Anyway, don’t feel bad about it, maybe a CTC group is more their thing. It could be due to the fact there is more than 1, and they like to natter as they ride, maybe individually they’d be ok. Job done move on. Well done, ‘ you can’t please some of the people all of the time’

rogerzilla:
The only solution to this is to have three rides, which is what Beacon RCC did (and may still do).  A normal club run, a fast run mainly for the licensed racers, and a slow run where no-one is left behind. 

Auntie Helen:
As someone who is a slow rider, I used to get upset when ride leaders just thought I could pedal a bit harder to keep up. No, I couldn’t, I would be drenched in sweat and completely pooped when they were using almost zero energy. It’s what it is and I stopped doing group riding until I got a motor. And they would stop and wait for me and when I caught up they would go straight off again so I had no time to recover and get my breath back whereas they had.

Maybe the ride was too fast for them. Sounds like you needed a slower option too, or say it is not suitable for them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version