Author Topic: Titanium tent pegs  (Read 7384 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Titanium tent pegs
« on: 22 August, 2010, 06:29:09 pm »
On the face of it they seem like a good idea; half the weight of steel, more elastic but twice the strength, so they should be less likely to bend plastically when hammered in.

Any disadvantages besides the cost of about £15-20 (I only need ten)?  Which work best, because I assume the cheapest ones are very thin gauge or a poor alloy?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Re: Titanium tent pegs
« Reply #1 on: 22 August, 2010, 06:42:50 pm »
We did talk about this a bit previously, and the Vargo Ti ones I've got weight 82/3g vs 8g for some random no-name aluminium ones.

So, basically from a weight point-of-view, there seems to be little advantage, although I guess the Ti ones are probably also a bit stronger (given they have much the same dimensions).  Cost is also a hell of a differentiator, being more expensive by a factor of five or six.

I've yet to bend a Ti one, but I've only ever very rarely bent Al ones.  My thought is that I doubt I'd buy any more Ti ones, since random Al ones seem pretty much as good, and are a lot cheaper.
Actually, it is rocket science.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 22 August, 2010, 07:04:00 pm »
Lost tent pegs are part of the camping experience. Chances are, if you lost an Al peg, you'd shrug your shoulders, pack up, move on and enjoy your day.
Lose a Ti peg, spend half an hour searching, pack up, move on and fret all day...

« Reply #3 on: 22 August, 2010, 07:05:11 pm »
I bent a ti peg which then snapped in half on the Seething 600 this year.  The ground was pretty hard, but even so I wasn't impressed.  As they break I'll replace with something cheaper.
The sound of one pannier flapping

rogerzilla

« Reply #4 on: 22 August, 2010, 07:15:58 pm »
Mine are steel.  Is alu good enough?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5 on: 22 August, 2010, 07:40:57 pm »
Mine are steel.  Is alu good enough?

Was for me but a solo woman cycle-camping won't put the same demands on tent pegs as a family of four.

rogerzilla

« Reply #6 on: 22 August, 2010, 07:43:51 pm »
This is for my little tent.  I don't care about weight for the big tent, which only moves using internal combustion.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7 on: 22 August, 2010, 07:50:05 pm »
My little tent was supplied with 7 inch alu pegs. They were fine but I supplemented them with 10 inch pegs for sand.
Still lighter than steel.

Zoidburg

« Reply #8 on: 22 August, 2010, 07:53:00 pm »
I made mine from 10" J shaped roofing bolts.

Ground the tip sharp on a wheel.

Cheap, strong.

« Reply #9 on: 22 August, 2010, 08:10:51 pm »
Tentpegs tested & reviewed http://www.petesy.co.uk/pegs-skewers-stakes-and-disappointment/

I'm currently using a combination of Alpkit Y-Beams and Candy Canes A couple of the Y Beams have bent after I stood on them though....

These were better than the Y-Beams , I must get some more.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

rogerzilla

« Reply #10 on: 23 August, 2010, 07:46:15 pm »
My current (bent) steel pegs are 24.6g each, and there are actually 14 of them.

There's a potential half-pound weight saving there for no technical disadvantage.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #11 on: 24 August, 2010, 07:40:28 am »
Tentpegs tested & reviewed http://www.petesy.co.uk/pegs-skewers-stakes-and-disappointment/

I'm currently using a combination of Alpkit Y-Beams and Candy Canes A couple of the Y Beams have bent after I stood on them though....

These were better than the Y-Beams , I must get some more.

I've got the Alpkit Spikes.  I've managed to bend one slightly - but they are damn good for extreme conditions.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #12 on: 24 August, 2010, 08:04:51 am »
I tried Alpkit Tikes
 Outdoor Gear Shop - Alpkit

They are probably very good in soft ground but unfortunately the week I used them everywhere was very dry and I bent some every night.  I managed to nurse them through the week ok, but I accept I was probably trying to use them where they were not intended.

I now use Hilleberg V pegs which are aluminium and stand up to the dry conditions better.
   Hilleberg V Pegs (10 pack) - The Climbers Shop

« Reply #13 on: 24 August, 2010, 08:15:50 am »
My new Nammatj came with Hillebery Y pegs.   To date I have pitched the tent twice and so far an very impressed with the durability of these.   Time will tell of course.

« Reply #14 on: 24 August, 2010, 08:36:27 am »
Those Hilleberg pegs look identical to the ones that came with my Golite.  I've not tried them yet, they had no cord attached and I had nothing thin enough.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #15 on: 25 August, 2010, 06:42:42 pm »
I just got some of the Alpkit Spikes (aluminium pegs).

Click on image for bigness.

That's a 12" rule next to it, so they're a bit bigger than I expected.  I may just pop a couple in the tent bag for the guys, but at 33g each, even fifteen of them would weigh over half a kg.

They are nicely made though, and I suspect will take a fair amount of abuse.
Actually, it is rocket science.

rogerzilla

« Reply #16 on: 25 August, 2010, 07:18:09 pm »
I got the Alpkit Tipins.  The tent now weighs 2375g packed (not bad for a total outlay of about £55) compared to 2650g packed, which saves more than the weight of a stove and fuel canister.  Mild steel tent pegs are very heavy and bend pretty easily too.