Author Topic: Brompton Sachs Torpedo 3-speed hub  (Read 18892 times)

Re: Brompton Sachs Torpedo 3-speed hub
« Reply #25 on: 05 September, 2020, 11:52:12 am »
I know that it's and old thread but as anyone a source for replacement hub bearings?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #27 on: 05 September, 2020, 03:43:20 pm »
https://www.cyclebrother.com/cycling-components/hubs/spareparts-for-gearhubs/sram-ball-bearing-35-and-7-gear might be appropriate.

Thank you, marvellous

saved another hub!!

BUT they only offer one postage option to the UK - £30 .........parts are just a few Euros - I'll look on their site for other stuff that I may need

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #28 on: 05 September, 2020, 04:02:46 pm »
You should be able to pop the individual bearings out of the cages and replace them with new balls. You just need to know the correct ball size. Open up the hub, measure them and order loose balls, job done!

« Reply #29 on: 05 September, 2020, 04:06:17 pm »
You should be able to pop the individual bearings out of the cages and replace them with new balls. You just need to know the correct ball size. Open up the hub, measure them and order loose balls, job done!

the metal case has broken/snapped on the left bearing - you cannot see it in the image for the black "grease"

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #30 on: 06 September, 2020, 08:41:25 am »
Feed the SRAM part number into ebay with the item location set to EU.  Since SRAM pulled the plug totally in 2017 (hubs and spares) this may not be as easy as it was.

I have a feeling the balls were an odd size, possibly metric?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #31 on: 15 September, 2020, 10:04:52 pm »
Thanks everyone - I got the outer bearings from Germany 0576 104 200

They look like "copies" and are not quite as well made as the originals

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #32 on: 15 September, 2020, 10:09:54 pm »
I have not played with a Torpedo hub but replacing caged bearings with loose balls is always an option in future. Loose balls require a little more care with reassembly (which is why manufacturers usually prefer using races) but theoretically increases durability.

rogerzilla

« Reply #33 on: 16 September, 2020, 09:25:40 pm »
The Sachs hubs use very few bearings - the cages intentionally have huge gaps.  To use loose bearings would require oodles of balls, a bit like a freewheel.  It would work but would be OTT for supporting the load and might add a bit of drag.  The races are very large - the diameter of the shell, in fact.

rogerzilla

« Reply #34 on: 21 June, 2021, 11:08:35 am »
I overhauled one recently.  The big races use 3/16" and the small race in the driver uses an annoying 7/32".  You could stick loose balls in with grease but you will need a lot of them without the cages.

Das Zweirad in Germany still has stock but will.no longer ship to Brexit Island, of course.