Author Topic: Suffolk-ing pictures  (Read 3475 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Suffolk-ing pictures
« on: 01 August, 2008, 09:23:59 pm »
On Sizewell Beach (a bit of gentle off-roading!) with the two cooling water intake/outlet platforms for the power station.

Sizewell "A" (Magnox station being decommissioned) and Sizewell "B" (active PWR station).

The (apparently controversial) Scallop between Aldeburgh and Thorpeness.  The words say "I hear those voices that will not be drowned" and are from Britten's Peter Grimes.

Orford Castle at dusk.

Orford quay at dusk.

The Brompton makes it to Dunwich, about a week late.  The cafe was closed but Jezza was waiting.  A bit warmer than 5am in the morning, and rather fewer bikes about.

This was a lovely sunset between Saxmundham and Leiston, but digital cameras don't have the latitude to capture such things.  Still, the corn is ripe.

The Meare (a manmade, very shallow lake) at Thorpeness.  If you continue up Lakeside Avenue in the direction the bike is pointing, you find possibly the most expensive houses in the county.

Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Julian

• samoture
Re: Suffolk-ing pictures
« Reply #1 on: 01 August, 2008, 10:53:27 pm »
The correct response to this thread title would of course be "Suffolking what?" but those are such fabulous pictures, I can't bring myself to say it.

Looks lovely, Roger.  I do like that chunk of the countryside.  :)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2 on: 01 August, 2008, 11:06:12 pm »
The more I see of Suffolk, the more I want to live there.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #3 on: 01 August, 2008, 11:14:43 pm »
Hmm, very nice.

The bloke wot designed the foundations for Maggie Hamblin's sculpture rides with Plomesgate CC.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #4 on: 02 August, 2008, 12:03:38 am »
On Sizewell Beach (a bit of gentle off-roading!) with the two cooling water intake/outlet platforms for the power station.

Here or here?

I averaged over 12mph on both of those last Friday on 700x25C ;D ;D   Front wheel washed out a few times in that deep sand.

rogerzilla

« Reply #5 on: 02 August, 2008, 02:27:54 pm »
Only two?  ;D

At least I'm reasonably objective about the thing, unlike some people who would happily marry their Brompton.

« Reply #6 on: 02 August, 2008, 04:28:17 pm »
Orfordness in the early 90's was definitely one of the eeriest places in the Uk. The bizarre atomic pagodas coupled with the general strangeness of the landscape and haunting birdcalls was very atmospheric.

But back on topic... the only way you'd ever get me on a Brompton was to chloroform me and tie my limbs to the bars and pedals.  It's just that bit too nerdy.  Hat's off to those that can.

« Reply #7 on: 03 August, 2008, 09:15:36 am »

The Meare (a manmade, very shallow lake) at Thorpeness. 

I went rowing there with my dad when I was about 10, one of our rare days out without my twin sister, we had a lovely day exploring the islands.  :D

rogerzilla

« Reply #8 on: 03 August, 2008, 09:58:53 am »
We did too.  There's a "Peter Pan" theme, with Wendy's House, Peggotty's House, a fort etc.  The problem with rowing is that it's so shallow that you're often dragging the oars in mud, and weed gets stuck to them.  If you're up to it then I believe you can hire a sailing boat instead.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9 on: 03 August, 2008, 10:04:55 pm »
Just where we were last week. :)
Getting there...

« Reply #10 on: 04 August, 2008, 12:15:55 pm »
Enjoying your folder Roger?!  ;)
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

rogerzilla

« Reply #11 on: 04 August, 2008, 09:50:38 pm »
I went out on it again tonight in preference to a shedload of proper bikes.  The hub gear is running in quite nicely now, although (like a fixie) my road speed is determined by the gear, not vice-versa, because the gaps between them are humungous.

« Reply #12 on: 05 August, 2008, 09:08:50 am »
I went out on it again tonight in preference to a shedload of proper bikes.  The hub gear is running in quite nicely now, although (like a fixie) my road speed is determined by the gear, not vice-versa, because the gaps between them are humungous.

3-spd?

« Reply #13 on: 05 August, 2008, 10:51:39 am »
...because the gaps between them are humungous.

That's why I went 6 speed.  It has the same 3 speeds of a standard hub, but another gear halfway between 2&3 and 1&2 plus a lower gear for steep hill climbing.

alan

« Reply #14 on: 05 August, 2008, 11:27:49 am »
, because the gaps between them are humungous.

I took my Trek folder(8 speed) to Northumbria last week & had this exact thought but I did enjoy the change from upright diamond frame & 27 gears.

« Reply #15 on: 05 August, 2008, 04:00:14 pm »
On my Helios P-8 there are two groups of gears I'd say. 6-8 is quite fast and reaches up to 90'' while 2-4 is for climbs and 5 offers a reasonable transition. 1 (28'') is a bit low as I found out in the LD going up Wrynose Pass. But I really enjoyed my rides with this; plenty enough.