Author Topic: Essex Friday Night Ride to the Pub  (Read 134728 times)

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
Re: Essex Friday Night Ride to the Pub
« Reply #300 on: 28 July, 2009, 08:28:45 pm »
Bugger that!  I may be up for the FNRttP bit though, although I suspect accommodation would be required due to it being out in the Badlands a long way from Saarfend. I'm crap at working out train routes (which is why I always leave it to Wowbagger).
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #301 on: 28 July, 2009, 08:44:43 pm »
White Notley - Saarfend

That's an easy journey for a big 2-wheeled barrel of Stella to take! Home by 12.30.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #302 on: 29 July, 2009, 08:56:14 am »
Tokamak, subject to final sanctioning by the wifenfuhrer I'm up for this. She might even come too. Shall we meet twixt the walthams on Blasford Hill?

Hi! Sounds good to me. I was going to take a route through Little Waltham, then jump across Essex Regiment Way onto Wheelers Hill East - so could meet just off the main road at Little Waltham, as you suggest. The route to the pub from there looks like this.

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #303 on: 30 July, 2009, 09:24:38 am »
Change of plan. We'll be there but taking the car because the kids are coming too. See you there. Well done on your TT performances lately btw.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #304 on: 30 July, 2009, 09:41:35 am »
Thanks. Riding to work must be good training! Will be excellent to meet the family. See you next week then...

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #305 on: 30 July, 2009, 03:46:02 pm »
I'm probably doing an EFNRttP tomorrow, here. I'm going to test a tent and my ability to operate it.

Anyone who feels like a beer or two, and possibly bringing some canvas with them would be welcome. I'm going to leave home around 5 p.m., get there about 7 - 7.30, put the tent up, retire to the bar for food and drink and at a suitable juncture climb into my sleeping bag for the night. On Saturday morning I shall cycle home through the pissing rain for a good night's sleep.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #306 on: 30 July, 2009, 03:50:41 pm »
I'm probably doing an EFNRttP tomorrow, here. I'm going to test a tent and my ability to operate it.

Anyone who feels like a beer or two, and possibly bringing some canvas with them would be welcome. I'm going to leave home around 5 p.m., get there about 7 - 7.30, put the tent up, retire to the bar for food and drink and at a suitable juncture climb into my sleeping bag for the night. On Saturday morning I shall cycle home through the pissing rain for a good night's sleep.

We've been there recently.  The site is fine though the showers are rudimentary.  James Snr and James Jnr who run the place are nice chaps.

« Reply #307 on: 30 July, 2009, 03:53:04 pm »
Very nice. I shall be in Bristol, otherwise I might have accompanied you. Hope you have a smashing time.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #308 on: 30 July, 2009, 05:26:42 pm »
White Notley - Saarfend

That's an easy journey for a big 2-wheeled barrel of Stella to take! Home by 12.30.

That was before the buggers went on strike!

We are sorry, we are not able to find any trains that match your journey details. There are some possible reasons below. Please try again.
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #309 on: 30 July, 2009, 06:35:22 pm »

Looks very nice. I've certainly been past there a few times but I don't think I've ever been in.

How can somewhere like that have a CM3 postcode?! There are places almost in Chelmsford with CM3 postcodes!!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #310 on: 31 July, 2009, 11:14:48 am »

Anyone who feels like a beer or two, and possibly bringing some canvas with them would be welcome. ...

There's a possibility I might spin across fom Witham for a couple of pints there.  I have a prior arrangement (which involves cycling in the opposite direction and drinking beer there) which may or may not happen, but if it doesn't then i'll whizz over to the H+H.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #311 on: 31 July, 2009, 01:59:16 pm »

Anyone who feels like a beer or two
As much as I'd like to larf and point assist in helping you with your new tent, and sup a couple of beers, I am getting up at silly o'clock for the start of the Ride to Brighton Pride from HPC.
(i may have to ask bobb for his hat)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #312 on: 31 July, 2009, 03:21:44 pm »

Anyone who feels like a beer or two
As much as I'd like to larf and point assist in helping you with your new tent, and sup a couple of beers, I am getting up at silly o'clock for the start of the Ride to Brighton Pride from HPC.
(i may have to ask bobb for his hat)

Gracious me!  I have been expending a great deal of effort in trying find you a Thai mail order bride.  I haven't said anything as I wanted her to be a surprise.  Are you telling me my efforts might be in vain?  I suppose I could always slightly amend my search criteria.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #313 on: 31 July, 2009, 03:24:31 pm »
I was thinking of going on this at one time. I'm proud to know my gay friends. :thumbsup:

« Reply #314 on: 31 July, 2009, 03:32:01 pm »
Gracious me!  I have been expending a great deal of effort in trying find you a Thai mail order bride.  I haven't said anything as I wanted her to be a surprise.  Are you telling me my efforts might be in vain?  I suppose I could always slightly amend my search criteria.
Please do carry on with the Thai mail order bride search. I am merely going to HPC for a bike ride and am not even close to being in the closet to come out of it!
I thank you for your concern.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #315 on: 31 July, 2009, 03:49:03 pm »
Please do carry on with the Thai mail order bride search. I am merely going to HPC for a bike ride and am not even close to being in the closet to come out of it!
I thank you for your concern.

No problem chap  :thumbsup:  We'd love you which ever bus you travelled on. 

The search for your Thai mail order bride is not going well I'm afraid.  The Current Mrs R is not happy with my plans to hold exhaustive interviews at a hotel close to Heathrow.  I have tried to assure her that I am selflessly putting myself (not to mention my back) out for a cycling chum but she's not happy.  Damned unreasonable I'd say.  However, leave it with me, I'll wear her out down eventually.  :thumbsup: ;D

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #316 on: 01 August, 2009, 11:08:25 am »
Well, the tent worked, keeping out a shower at about 1 a.m.

I left home around 5.30, arrived at the pub about 8, had the tent up and was in the bar by 8.45 and drinking Maldon Gold, which was CAMRA Champion Golden Ale, 2007. It's remarkable that Brewer's Gold won this award (and Supreme Champion) in 2005 & 2006, and the two ales are brewed only a few miles apart. The steak was especially good and I staggered to my tent around 10.30, but was waylaid in conversation by a couple who had taken an enormous caravan. I was surprised how many people were camping there, but I happened to have arrived on the same night as a motor cycle troupe all wearing "Sally's Slaves" T-shirts. There were dozens of them.

I slept well. After a couple of occasions in which I looked at the time, I eventually rose at 6.30. The loo was visited, tea was brewed, cereal eaten, the tent demolished and I was on the road by 7.45. After about a quarter of a mile I stopped to have a look at an item of road kill - a large predatory bird, too big for a kestrel or a sparrow hawk: I thought it was probably a buzzard. I made a mental note of its location in order to inform my brother, who has a collection of skulls, of its location.

At one point I was overtaken by a succession of Harley-Davidsons, making a devil of a row. Two especially caught my eye: R505 HOG, and a very nice pink bike with a very petite young lady in charge of it. Shortly before I arrived home, I heard the roaring of an engine approaching from behind and a bright red sports car, MAD 80Y, went past at a speed far too high for a narrow country lane.

That, I felt, was a successful outing. The tent went up and came down fairly easily and I covered the 24 mile ride home by 10.30. When I do my longer tour later in the month, I reckon to try to do 20 miles before 11ses, 20 miles before lunch, and the rest afterwards. That will be enough riding for a day and will give me plenty of time to put the tent up, have a rest and do any chores before the serious business of eating.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #317 on: 01 August, 2009, 11:40:50 am »
What sort of tent do you have Wow?

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #318 on: 01 August, 2009, 12:05:21 pm »

One of these

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #319 on: 01 August, 2009, 02:05:11 pm »
Something I forgot to mention.

In Cold Norton there is an ex-pub called The Norton, and featuring an ancient motorcycle on its pub sign. I was very sad a year or two ago to see the pub boarded up. However, there is good news! There was activity at the pub this morning, which appears to be the result of a community project to save the pub and work is clearly progressing well.

Save the Norton.org

When it's open again, it's a must-do for an EFNRttP.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #320 on: 02 August, 2009, 01:25:05 pm »

One of these

That looks superb Wow, glad you're pleased with it.

We've got one of these which is just big enough for me or me and Twinkle Toes.  If you shared it with another adult you'd have to know them quite well.  £60 for a sub 2kg tent is brilliant and it's well made too.

If we you touring en France next year, which is looking increasingly likely  :thumbsup: we will probably get one of these as well  £80 for a 2.9kg tent is a bargain.

I am forced to conclude that Decathlon tents are a superb combination of weight, price and quality.  We have a brace of their pop up tents which are brilliant but not suitable for cycling camping.

I was reading the most recent edition of the Cycling Plus were they went on a S24O which apparently stands for a Sub 24 hour Overnight (often wondered what it meant).  Without realising we went on a S24O when we went to the Huntsman & Hounds.  We might have to try and do another before the year is out.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #321 on: 02 August, 2009, 01:41:54 pm »
Something I forgot to mention.

In Cold Norton there is an ex-pub called The Norton, and featuring an ancient motorcycle on its pub sign. I was very sad a year or two ago to see the pub boarded up. However, there is good news! There was activity at the pub this morning, which appears to be the result of a community project to save the pub and work is clearly progressing well.

Save the Norton.org

When it's open again, it's a must-do for an EFNRttP.

Well spotted.  We'll definately have to visit, I guess we could only go when the weather is cold.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #322 on: 02 August, 2009, 02:49:18 pm »
I was reading the most recent edition of the Cycling Plus were they went on a S24O which apparently stands for a Sub 24 hour Overnight (often wondered what it meant).  Without realising we went on a S24O when we went to the Huntsman & Hounds.  We might have to try and do another before the year is out.

There was a famous one of these last year organised by Charlotte, I believe, taking place in Surrey. Sadly, I was hors concours, stricken by Dolgellau Bellau after an injudicious few days at the King's Youth Hostel.

When you are ready for the next one, let me know. The Huntsman and Hounds is there, obviously, but also Ratsborough Farm, in Southminster, is worth a visit. No on-site pub (although there's one within a short walk and several others within a short ride), but it would appear that my overnighter cost me £11, which I reckon is a bit steep.

Streetmap - Maps and directions for the whole of Great Britain

Oscar's dad

« Reply #323 on: 02 August, 2009, 03:42:04 pm »

... but also Ratsborough Farm, in Southminster, is worth a visit. No on-site pub (although there's one within a short walk and several others within a short ride) ...

Streetmap - Maps and directions for the whole of Great Britain

That's interesting and worth keeping in mind.  There seems to be a shortage of decent campsites round here.  The only trouble with Ratsborough for us is the fact that the road to it from Maldon is a bit uninspiring.

« Reply #324 on: 05 August, 2009, 08:18:49 am »
I now have the address so I have a party to attend. Enjoy yourselves and take some pictures.  :thumbsup: