Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1576429 times)

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #625 on: 08 September, 2011, 08:08:07 am »
Just had an email from my manager, inviting me to a team meeting.  He goes on to say that due to changes in what can be claimed on expenses, he is unable to provide refreshments.  He helpfully goes on to say that if we bring our own tea/coffee and suitable drinking vessel, he will bring some milk. I've told him to keep his milk as I'm vegan.

I'm not really bothered, I know we are only there to be told how crap we are, but this isn't quite what you expect from a major international company that is one of the UK's largest employers. Pathetic.
Ermm, that's exactly what I'd expect, but then I have been accused of cynicism before now.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #626 on: 08 September, 2011, 08:37:37 am »
Yup.  Exactly what I have come to expect.
Getting there...

« Reply #627 on: 08 September, 2011, 10:32:11 am »
Not a lot I can do about it, but I'd rather my next door neighbour wasn't the person I just had to speak to at my daughter's new school about free school meals.

I'm not bothered about the stigma, perceived or otherwise, I'd just rather she didn't know our circumstances.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #628 on: 08 September, 2011, 08:41:51 pm »
Just spent a dripping hot hour fitting new Top Touring Plus tyres to Mrs MS's bike. Had to keep looking at the sidewalls to check they were really 700c & not 27" - why are modern tyres so bloody tight?

If the tubes are pinched & go down overnight, escalation to the RANT thread is the only recourse.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #629 on: 09 September, 2011, 09:05:51 am »
Yet another Friday suited & booted.  :(  Today's joy is presenting to $REGULATOR.  (No, not our beloved D.U.G. — I'd look forward to that).
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #630 on: 09 September, 2011, 09:31:26 am »
Nanny agencies - can you try to be a bit less rubbish for a while? I'm fed up with chasing you. And start quoting all wages as gross please - at the moment permanent jobs are quoted net and temp jobs are (the same ::-)) gross - so you can't temp for any length of time because it costs too much. It would also highlight the fact that matenity nurses who work 24 hours a day, 5 or 6 days a week are getting very little more than nannies who work 10 or 12 hours, 5 days a week. You are, in effect, encouraging people to not pay tax >:(, and encouraging employers to hire temps.

And Word, can you stop closing, I need to do that CV and I'm slow enough at computer stuff already, without having to restart the whole thing >:(
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #631 on: 09 September, 2011, 09:35:47 am »
Just had an email from my manager, inviting me to a team meeting.  He goes on to say that due to changes in what can be claimed on expenses, he is unable to provide refreshments.  He helpfully goes on to say that if we bring our own tea/coffee and suitable drinking vessel, he will bring some milk. I've told him to keep his milk as I'm vegan.

I'm not really bothered, I know we are only there to be told how crap we are, but this isn't quite what you expect from a major international company that is one of the UK's largest employers. Pathetic.

The week after all our sales force globally were flown to Dubai for a three day piss up sales conference we had a 'travel restriction' imposed together with posters in each kitchen saying that if we all saved $100 on each trip we made we could recoup the cost of the sales conference in 3 months*.

*Actually it didn't say that, some one did a fag packet calculation and amended the poster to give it some 'context'.

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
    • Now Suffolkating on the internet:
« Reply #632 on: 09 September, 2011, 09:36:59 am »
Bah! Why has the Cycle Show been moved to Birmingham? I'm not going up there (the train from Cambridge is so slow you need to take a week's supply of food, reading materials, and a fishing chair, cos it's also always full to busting).
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
« Reply #633 on: 09 September, 2011, 09:40:36 am »

The week after all our sales force globally were flown to Dubai for a three day piss up sales conference we had a 'travel restriction' imposed together with posters in each kitchen saying that if we all saved $100 on each trip we made we could recoup the cost of the sales conference in 3 months*.

*Actually it didn't say that, some one did a fag packet calculation and amended the poster to give it some 'context'.

We've been told we can't have the heating on until 'management'* decide it's cold enough. This is an office where last year, I wore a down gilet and fingerless gloves every day for two months last year and still got chillblains for the first time in fifteen years.

*Management: One menopausal woman who's always too hot, two awol bosses who might be here three days a month, one bonkers fitness freak who goes running at lunchtime and sits sweating all afternoon in his jogging kit.
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

« Reply #634 on: 09 September, 2011, 09:44:51 am »
I'll swap with you.
If I don't have the window open, the air at my desk gets over 26C. With a fan going.

With a window open, I can just about keep it down to 24C.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #635 on: 09 September, 2011, 09:54:54 am »

We've been told we can't have the heating on until 'management'* decide it's cold enough. This is an office where last year, I wore a down gilet and fingerless gloves every day for two months last year and still got chillblains for the first time in fifteen years.

*Management: One menopausal woman who's always too hot, two awol bosses who might be here three days a month, one bonkers fitness freak who goes running at lunchtime and sits sweating all afternoon in his jogging kit.

The HSE are clear on what is a minimum office working temperature. It should be 16oC. (From memory I was always told this was at 1m above floor level 1 hour after opening)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #636 on: 09 September, 2011, 09:57:34 am »
I'll swap with you.
If I don't have the window open, the air at my desk gets over 26C. With a fan going.

With a window open, I can just about keep it down to 24C.

I'll swap, our office runs at 27-31oC every afternoon in the summer. The only air conditioned room in the whole structure (big portakabin open plan thing full of computers) is the server room.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #637 on: 09 September, 2011, 10:08:12 am »

Remember, look after the pennies and you can waste the pounds at your leisure.
It is simpler than it looks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #638 on: 09 September, 2011, 01:02:08 pm »
Bah! Why has the Cycle Show been moved to Birmingham? I'm not going up there (the train from Cambridge is so slow you need to take a week's supply of food, reading materials, and a fishing chair, cos it's also always full to busting).

Because if they'd moved it to Cambridge I'd have to use the Slowest Train In The World, which would mean about 5 hours of being crammed next to the toilet in between the screaming children and enormous unwieldy suitcases with nothing but the smell of poo for entertainment.

(Not a fan of that train, either.  Last year I had to sit on my bike between Birmingham and Peterborough because there wasn't enough room.)

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
« Reply #639 on: 09 September, 2011, 01:12:34 pm »
LOL I didn't think it should be in Cambridge. It's been in That London for the past few years.
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #640 on: 09 September, 2011, 01:14:06 pm »
For some of us it's just cut hours of the journey time :)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #641 on: 09 September, 2011, 03:12:32 pm »
LOL I didn't think it should be in Cambridge. It's been in That London for the past few years.

*nods*

While not actually being a northerner, I've lived in the People's Republic for long enough that in some respects I've gone native.  A general attitude that there is in fact life outside the M25 is one of them.  Even if it does mean people having to visit Birmingham occasionally.

As such, CrossCountry (who seem to have a monopoly on going to places other than That London) should get their act together and run some decent trains!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #642 on: 09 September, 2011, 03:32:36 pm »
But...but...Birmingham is further from London than London is from Birmingham!  And all those provincial types should be grateful for a day out in This Grate Capital City Of Ours, seeing the best of BRITISH culture.
Getting there...

Chris S

« Reply #643 on: 09 September, 2011, 03:43:06 pm »
Cold. Fuck off. That is all.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #644 on: 09 September, 2011, 04:14:08 pm »
Cleaners.  Please stop filling the paper towel thingy so full that I can’t get any paper towel out, or can only get little ripped off bits out.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #645 on: 10 September, 2011, 09:11:42 am »
Today, chronic fatigue is kicking my 'arris!   :-\

I feel exhausted, achey all over and even slightly hungover, despite having had nothing alcoholic to drink since Wednesday (and no, I didn't have so much to drink then that I'm only just sobering up!).

This is frustrating, especially as my doctor thinks it's all psychosomatic simply because it doesn't happen every day!   ???

I want my normal energy back!   :'(

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #646 on: 10 September, 2011, 09:45:01 am »
same here :(

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #647 on: 10 September, 2011, 09:58:59 am »
Same here, actually.  Since I got struck by that virus, I've got back to work and to cycle commuting, but I don't have the power in my legs I had before.  And now I'm completely knackered again this morning.  :(
Getting there...

« Reply #648 on: 10 September, 2011, 10:04:04 am »
I've reached the point where going outside the hotel gate into the hassle is too draining. Sigh. Time for a sit by the pool, which is something I'd normally class as too tedious to contemplate.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #649 on: 10 September, 2011, 10:18:10 am »
Same here, actually.  Since I got struck by that virus, I've got back to work and to cycle commuting, but I don't have the power in my legs I had before.  And now I'm completely knackered again this morning.  :(

that's 'cause your are not yet recovered from your virus & you are trying to get your body to cash the cheques your mind is writing without there being sufficient zoomzooms in the bank