Author Topic: Washing machine recommendations...  (Read 13443 times)

Re: Washing machine recommendations...
« Reply #25 on: 21 January, 2011, 12:01:28 pm »
Bosch - 10 years, 2 babies run 5 or 6 times a week, moved house 3 times - the only attention it has needed was new brushes last year.
We had a Bosch for 7 years before it died. If it hadn't been badly mistreated (Mrs B has never really got the hang of not overloading, & she wouldn't accept that a single heavy bath mat was not a suitable load until the machine refused to wash it) I suspect it'd still have many years life left.

Ours has an "out of balance" sensor that won't allow it to spin at high speed with a single sodden item in  - like bath mats, towels etc.

And spinning at 1400 allows us to dry indoors with minimal chilling/condensation/open window. Actually no condensation/open widows generally.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #26 on: 21 January, 2011, 12:55:12 pm »
Zanussi.  22 years old, two minor repairs.  :thumbsup: 

Energy rating,  ZZ minus.  :-[

It wasn't that cheap when we bought it (about £299 IIRC), but back then it was actually made on the planet Zanussi, according to the adverts.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #27 on: 21 January, 2011, 01:20:43 pm »
Not sure about washing machines but I did the maths on fridges/freezers and worked out that it's cost effective to ditch a functional inefficient one and replace it with a modern A* (or whatever it is) one. Not sure how the environmental calculation works out really but, if the old one's recycled properly it's probably the right thing to do.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #28 on: 21 January, 2011, 02:04:26 pm »
Bosch - 10 years, 2 babies run 5 or 6 times a week, moved house 3 times - the only attention it has needed was new brushes last year.
We had a Bosch for 7 years before it died. If it hadn't been badly mistreated (Mrs B has never really got the hang of not overloading, & she wouldn't accept that a single heavy bath mat was not a suitable load until the machine refused to wash it) I suspect it'd still have many years life left.

Emily is a chronic overloader too ::-)
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #29 on: 21 January, 2011, 02:17:37 pm »
Most machines that beep can have the beep turned off (I know this cos the nanny often gets to share a room with the laundry ::-)). Sometimes you have to hold a button or 2 down for 2 seconds. It's worth going through the manual.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #30 on: 21 January, 2011, 02:32:05 pm »
Most machines that beep can have the beep turned off (I know this cos the nanny often gets to share a room with the laundry ::-)). Sometimes you have to hold a button or 2 down for 2 seconds. It's worth going through the manual.

eh? People employ a nanny and make them live in the laundry room?

« Reply #31 on: 21 January, 2011, 02:41:20 pm »
It's handy having the drier - eg with cycling stuff that's been sitting in the machine overnight then you realise you need ! - but we rarely use it.
Even when we lived in a flat we generally dried clothes inside - lobbed them on an airer or two in the spare bedroom/otherwise - helped by spinning things mostly at the highest setting. I've previously  - both current and last house - put spikes in the lawn for a rotaray airer and they still get lost due to disuse.
Towels might get 10 mins just to help fluff 'em up a bit...tho' I've only just discovered the OH lobs in conditioner with the towels - blowed if I do !

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #32 on: 21 January, 2011, 02:48:11 pm »
Most machines that beep can have the beep turned off

Given a set of appropriate screwdrivers and a solder sucker, *anything* can have the beep turned off.   :demon:

« Reply #33 on: 21 January, 2011, 02:50:31 pm »

Ours has an "out of balance" sensor that won't allow it to spin at high speed with a single sodden item in  - like bath mats, towels etc.
So did ours (& the new one). That was why it balked at the bath mat. I don't think there was a  problem with the loads it wouldn't wash, but all those that pushed it to the limit.

I still sometimes find her trying to stuff more into an already full machine.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #34 on: 21 January, 2011, 06:13:19 pm »

Given a set of appropriate screwdrivers and a solder sucker, *anything* can have the beep turned off.   :demon:

I find desoldering wick much better than a solder sucker...  ;D
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

« Reply #35 on: 21 January, 2011, 06:28:12 pm »

I find sidecutters much better than desoldering wick or a solder sucker...  ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #36 on: 21 January, 2011, 07:03:40 pm »

The both have their uses.  Wick is far more reliable where fiddly stuff is involved, but a solder sucker tends to result in fewer burnt fingers and associated swearing.

Sidecutters assume you don't want to restore the beep functionality (or at least remove evidence of customisation) at some point in the future.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #37 on: 21 January, 2011, 11:10:24 pm »
Tactically applied blu-tak can also be used for silencing purposes.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #38 on: 21 January, 2011, 11:20:41 pm »
My Meile washing machine is probably one of my bestest posessions. It washes things awesomely well even on its express 40C 32 minute cycle. It can spin upto 1400 rpm meaning cotton stuff comes out pretty dry. It has loads of different cycles for different fabrics. Assos cycling shorts count as 30C delicates  ;D

I chose it because it was a best buy in my Which? magazine (the consumers association). It scored very high on cleaning, rinsing, spinning, noise, speed, durability and customer satisfaction. I've now had it for 4 years and it still looks and works like brand new. It cost about £650 but I think it is likely to last longer than 2 or 3 cheaper brands would whilst out-performing them.

Whenever anything breaks down in my house now if I can afford to I replace it with Meile. I'm actually looking forward to my Hotpoint dishwasher packing in because it is so carp!

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #39 on: 21 January, 2011, 11:58:39 pm »
I shouldn't be suprised any more, but it's always disappointing when something is whisper-quiet to begin with, but noiser once worn in: like the fans in my new computer, as well as the bearings of the Logixx 8 Bosch washing machine :(
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #40 on: 22 January, 2011, 12:04:21 am »

Given a set of appropriate screwdrivers and a solder sucker, *anything* can have the beep turned off.   :demon:

I'd love the "I've finished!" beeps turned off on mine.
I now know one more thing to look for in my next machine. And would come back to this thread for the rest. Ta!

« Reply #41 on: 22 January, 2011, 08:20:01 pm »
Our Bosch decided to die a week or so before xmas. (not much over two years old btw) Lower end Bosch products are no longer made in Germany.  Normally a bosch everything household have changed mind. If I could afford it would be miele. However have gone for a direct drive LG we will see. Its quiet but dances around.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #42 on: 25 January, 2011, 08:25:36 pm »
It has been delivered.
It is white.
It is good.
 :)

« Reply #43 on: 25 January, 2011, 08:34:57 pm »
We bought a Bosch Exxcell (something like that) about five years or more back.   It is a relatively basic machine with a max 1200 rpm spin speed.   We avoided the models with electronic displays and buttons instead of a rotary programme control.   It is yet to miss a beat.   

And if it's anything like ours, washes things really well - noticeably better than the Hoover machine it replaced.

It is really good.   Washes are fantastic and, even though the max spin speed is only 1200, stuff comes out drier than on the old  Heapofeastereuropeancrap machine with a 1500 spin speed.   

The only 'extra' feature it has is a countdown timer so that I can set it to 7 hours before I go to bed and can hang the washing out when I make the tea in the morning having done the washing on Economy 7.   8) 

« Reply #44 on: 26 January, 2011, 06:30:10 pm »
Our Bosch decided to die a week or so before xmas. (not much over two years old btw) Lower end Bosch products are no longer made in Germany.  Normally a bosch everything household have changed mind. If I could afford it would be miele. However have gone for a direct drive LG we will see. Its quiet but dances around.

That's sad to hear. We have had a Bosch for over ten years and it gets used at least three or four times every week. No problem bar I had to replace a knob that got knocked off last year (it lives in the garage). When it finally dies looks like I might be looking at a Miele instead then.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #45 on: 02 February, 2011, 11:35:19 am »
There is a washer repair man who has a website on which he talks about all this stuff. His recommendation for top brand? - Miele but he also says thet John Lewis' own brand (Zanussi) come with a 3 yr. warranty and a cheap 2 year add on so for £350 you get a good deal.

Re dryer - ours sits in the garage and the amount of water it shifts is astonishing. 3 full washes and the 2ltr tank is full. I wouldn't want that amount of water in the house atmosphere.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #46 on: 04 February, 2011, 06:09:15 pm »
Manufacture moved to a different country doesn't bother me if the company maintains the same design and quality control.

Why should I automatically assume Bosch Polish-made washing machines aren't as good as the german ones?  Pentax cameras and lenses are now made in Vietnam, for example, but are just as good as the previous Japanese-made ones.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Washing machine recomendations
« Reply #47 on: 11 September, 2017, 02:14:28 pm »
We are in need of a new washing machine as the old one has just released magic smoke from an expensive 'universal power module' that needs reprogramming for each model. The man who can said it would cost as much as the machine to replace, so may as well get a new one.

So, recommendations.
Criteria - freestanding, 9kg+ 1600rpm +

What to avoid (apart from Indesit, who are on the naughty step already).
Is spending more (Bosch, AEG etc. ) worth it?
Can I run a samsung one from my TV?
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
Re: Washing machine recomendations
« Reply #48 on: 11 September, 2017, 02:21:12 pm »
We got a new one recently. A Miele- it was bloody expensive and yet at their "budget" end. It also has built in detergent and softener that they have given us lots of. It will go even further as we didn't manage to actually turn on its dispensing for about a month. Strangely, despite only being washed with water the clothes have not smelt. It also plays a nice tune when its done.

Personally I would go for one from a reputable make with a decent length guarantee. Even better if the retailer offers more (John Lewis always worth a look).

Re: Washing machine recomendations
« Reply #49 on: 11 September, 2017, 02:43:00 pm »
I'm not really the right person to ask about washing machines - I put dirty clothes in the washing basket and they reappear on the bed a few days later washed and neatly folded.  However we do have a Meile washing machine which is about 17 years old and has only seen the service engineer once while it was still under warranty after a/the circuit board died.  The cat had brought a mouse in which had set up home in the washer and chewed cables and (presumably) knackered the board.  That was not covered by the warranty, but the engineer did do his best to repair the cables at the same time and they have lasted so far.  So it has been very reliable and at least the door hinge doesn't need replacing every year like the plastic one on our old Hotpoint machine.  Ours does not do a really fast spin and Mrs LJ is hoping that it will die soon so she can have one with super-fast spin

The problem with recommendations like this is that it is based on 17 year old information and they might not build them like that any more.