Author Topic: iOS 6  (Read 9898 times)

AndyK

iOS 6
« on: 19 September, 2012, 07:55:26 pm »
Did the upgrade on my iPhone 4.

None of the shouted features work on an iPhone 4. Facetime over 3G? Forget it if you have iPhone 4 or older. Panorama mode in camera? Forget it if you have an iPhone 4 or older. Apple reckons this is because of hardware constraints. I call bullshit on that. I have panorama apps that work perfectly well on the 4, and Skype over 3G also works perfectly well.

Seems to me Apple are trying to force 4 and older owners to upgrade.

Well fuck you Apple. No-one 'forces' me to do anything. I might upgrade, but it'll be to a Samsung.

iOS 6
« Reply #1 on: 19 September, 2012, 08:43:03 pm »
I've had mail issues on iPad 2 and iPhone 3GS, same with the maps running slowly. The ipad3 has been great.

Don't know what else will go tits up yet but there's time yet, I can't be bothered to test anything else, I'm sick of updating!  5 iPads and 3 phones to do!!!!
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
Re: iOS 6
« Reply #2 on: 19 September, 2012, 08:43:16 pm »
All this was well publicised in advance, there's no reason why you should be surprised, certainly nobody is forcing you to upgrade.

I also have a panorama app on my iPhone 4, but from what I've seen so far, the iOS 6 one is quite a bit better. Facetime over 3G is a good idea in principle but I'd eat into my data allowance if I used it outside of a wi-fi network - nice to have the option though (in which case, Skype will do). Cached maps sounds like a very useful upgrade but flyover can only be a gimmick for quite some time. Turn-by-turn navigation would be great but I think there are free apps for that (and anyway, I have a Garmin for the once or twice a year I find it useful in the car).

I started my download about an hour ago, must go and see how it's getting on...

AndyK

« Reply #3 on: 19 September, 2012, 08:48:29 pm »
All this was well publicised in advance, there's no reason why you should be surprised, certainly nobody is forcing you to upgrade.

Not to me. I don't go reading geek mags etc. I can still buy a new iPhone 4, therefore I expect it to be included in features that are being loudly touted by Apple, but they're not so loud in saying the majority of iPhone owners won't get any usable features in iOS 6.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4 on: 19 September, 2012, 08:50:19 pm »
There's no $ in giving existing owners more for their money.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

iOS 6
« Reply #5 on: 19 September, 2012, 08:53:14 pm »
The keypad is not right on the iPad 2 either. When you press and hold the keys to get the hidden key behind it,s not working. See<

Quotation marks are now a full stop... On the hidden key
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

simonp

« Reply #6 on: 19 September, 2012, 08:57:36 pm »
There's no $ in giving existing owners more for their money.

There is - loyalty. There are limits to how much you can do on older hardware, though, particularly since optimisation for slower hardware is time consuming and expensive.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #7 on: 19 September, 2012, 09:14:06 pm »

Not to me. I don't go reading geek mags etc.

I think that a few minutes of basic research is a good idea before upgrading any operating system on any kind of device. There's definitely an element of restricting the best features to newer hardware, but that's how they get people to buy new phones. Overall, I think a few useful new features for free isn't bad.

simonp

« Reply #8 on: 19 September, 2012, 09:34:09 pm »
Siri seems to work better than I remember.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #9 on: 20 September, 2012, 12:30:02 am »
Never update to an x.0 release, wait for x.1!

I'm getting these kind of wi-fi problems - anybody else?

« Reply #10 on: 20 September, 2012, 12:33:44 am »

It understands your accent better than my dogs  ;D

« Reply #11 on: 20 September, 2012, 12:42:13 am »
Hmmmm. I think I'll hold off for a bit..

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #12 on: 20 September, 2012, 09:23:57 am »
Panic over. I was following it on a couple of forums for a few minutes and towards the end of the threads people were starting to say "I did x, then y and then z and now it works" - with x, y and z being different things. With the "Oops, we can't seem to find the page you requested" at apple.com that came up when it failed to connect, it started to look like it was somehow fixed at Apple's end.

Sound a bit sinister, that your phone reports back to Apple every time it tries to connect to your home wi-fi? Not really - apparently it tests that it can connect to the network by getting a webpage on Apple's domain that consists of a single word ("success"). If it doesn't find it assumes it can't connect to wi-fi and needs to ask for the network password. In the meantime it shows the "Oops..." page it now got via 3G (using iOS 6's new "wi-fi plus cellular' function where 3G takes over if a wi-fi network is flaky) because the "success" page was down. Fascinating!

simonp

« Reply #13 on: 20 September, 2012, 09:32:15 am »

It understands your accent better than my dogs  ;D

Nope. I told it to sit and it said "I don't know what you mean by 'Set'. How about a web search for it?".  The irony being that Squidge will sit for me but Google will not.

No matter how I pronounce it, it's "Set".

Edit: it did, however, happily find me both cinemas in Cambridge (which is new in the UK for Siri). Then when I said "Take me to Cineworld" it opened up the map and plotted a route.

The maps app looks promising, but it needs work. The vector mapping seems very much faster to load than the raster maps Google serve, and scaling works a lot better obviously. There's lots of stuff seemingly missing though.

ian

« Reply #14 on: 20 September, 2012, 02:52:29 pm »

Not to me. I don't go reading geek mags etc. I can still buy a new iPhone 4, therefore I expect it to be included in features that are being loudly touted by Apple, but they're not so loud in saying the majority of iPhone owners won't get any usable features in iOS 6.

The iPhone 4 is now an old phone. In other news, Apple sell phones. More and more emphasis is placed on what a phone can do - in other words, buy decisions are driven by software and hardware.

There's limited value in making efforts to add new features to older hardware. To be honest, there's nothing in iOS 6 that compels me to buy a new iPhone. Of course, if you are wedded to a new feature, then buy a phone that supports it. I've no idea why people publicly insist that Apple must serve their particular needs and if they don't they're going to stomp out of room. Go buy another phone if that suits your needs, that's the market.

ed_o_brain

« Reply #15 on: 20 September, 2012, 03:10:02 pm »
ipad2 upgraded.
It has a nice world clock now. Everything else just works normally.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #16 on: 20 September, 2012, 04:55:20 pm »
Sounds like dropping google maps was a bad idea...

Chris S

« Reply #17 on: 20 September, 2012, 04:57:37 pm »
Apparently, according to Apple maps, Luton is somewhere near Exeter  :thumbsup:.

simonp

« Reply #18 on: 20 September, 2012, 05:08:15 pm »
Apparently, according to Apple maps, Luton is somewhere near Exeter  :thumbsup:.

http://goo.gl/maps/v7eIv

While we're at it:

http://goo.gl/maps/iiITM

The problem isn't the map data, in either case, it's the search result not being correctly prioritised.

AndyK

« Reply #19 on: 20 September, 2012, 05:13:06 pm »
Sounds like dropping google maps was a bad idea...

1. Switch on Location Services for Safari in Settings

2. Open Safari on your iOS 6 device.

3. Go to maps.google.com

4. Allow Google Maps to use your location.

5. Tap the action button in the middle of the Safari toolbar and select the ‘Add to Home Screen‘.

6. Name the new icon 'Google Maps'.

7. You now have Google Maps on your iOS 6 device.

Chris S

« Reply #20 on: 20 September, 2012, 05:14:11 pm »
So, was that a Tom Tom failure then do you think?

Of course, it's also worth noting that Google gets things spectacularly wrong sometimes - and the poor voice app trying to navigate us to Macclesfield via Knutsford last year was just hilarious.

simonp

« Reply #21 on: 20 September, 2012, 05:36:25 pm »
So, was that a Tom Tom failure then do you think?

Of course, it's also worth noting that Google gets things spectacularly wrong sometimes - and the poor voice app trying to navigate us to Macclesfield via Knutsford last year was just hilarious.

Well, the wrong Cambridge used to come up on yell all the time.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #22 on: 20 September, 2012, 05:46:21 pm »
The mapfail is drawing mockery: http://theamazingios6maps.tumblr.com/

Badly prioritised things with the same names - Luton and Luton Cafe - or areas with the wrong type (there's a park that thinks it's an airfield) are hilarious launch-day blunders.  This is the whole idea of OSM, of course, we can correct that right now.  Ah well...
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

simonp

« Reply #23 on: 20 September, 2012, 05:53:04 pm »
The mapfail is drawing mockery: http://theamazingios6maps.tumblr.com/

Badly prioritised things with the same names - Luton and Luton Cafe - or areas with the wrong type (there's a park that thinks it's an airfield) are hilarious launch-day blunders.  This is the whole idea of OSM, of course, we can correct that right now.  Ah well...

I found a cafe in the wrong place (out by 100 yards  ::-) ) so I tapped on the "report a problem".

I think they may be in for a busy few weeks.  :demon:

iOS 6
« Reply #24 on: 20 September, 2012, 05:59:08 pm »
Does anyone else think the battery usage is worse since the update?

It could just be me seeing something that's not there though!

Edit: my keyboard issue resolved itself after a reset and the mail issue either sorted itself or I removed/added the accounts.