Author Topic: Froome out of Tour  (Read 2313 times)

Froome out of Tour
« on: 19 August, 2020, 08:53:13 am »
Just showing breaking news that Chris Froome has been dropped by Ineos and is out of the tour.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Froome out of Tour
« Reply #1 on: 19 August, 2020, 08:56:02 am »
Geraint Thomas is out too - being saved for the Giro, apparently. And Froome is pencilled in for the Vuelta.

I read yesterday evening that with Bernal's fitness in doubt, Carapaz might be made leader, but Bernal has been selected.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #2 on: 19 August, 2020, 11:00:51 am »
It says that Froome & Thomas are each riding one of the Giro & Vuelta - perhaps Ineos is attemptng "the triple crown" and win all 3 in the same season?

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #3 on: 19 August, 2020, 01:03:50 pm »
That's alright for Thomas if he does get a good shot at the Giro, but it's quite the demotion for Froome!

« Reply #4 on: 19 August, 2020, 01:20:07 pm »
That's alright for Thomas if he does get a good shot at the Giro, but it's quite the demotion for Froome!

I read today that his contract wasn't renewed, in part, because his team weren't sufficiently respectful and grateful of the support he'd received during his convalescence. Seems he was well out of favour already.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #5 on: 19 August, 2020, 02:07:35 pm »
Froome is well off the form he needs to be in contention for the Tour. Sending him as a super-domestique would do nothing for his ambitions, and would risk a distraction to the team's focus on Bernal. G is in better shape, but I think it's fair to say he was never the focus for the 2020 Tour so why not give him a realistic shot at the Giro, and let Froome have a few more weeks to see if he can get fit enough for the Vuelts? I think it's probably the most intelligent use of resources by Ineos, and I don't think there are really any surprises here. After Froome's very significant injuries and the loss of much of the season, the TdF was probably an ambition too far.

« Reply #6 on: 19 August, 2020, 03:40:53 pm »
I think G was in for the tour win last year.  It was classic tactics, two high GC riders, lower placed rider attacks and then higher placed rider sits on.  If anything G was going too well and had to live with the lack of attacks from the other teams, who were focusing on him.
also, Pinot would have won it had he not been injured.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #7 on: 19 August, 2020, 06:17:21 pm »
He can't be out if he wasn't ever in.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #8 on: 20 August, 2020, 10:20:59 am »
Is this a step down for Carapaz too?  He was going to be protected rider at the Giro, now he'll be Bernal's domestique at the Tour - unless Bernal falls off and he gets a shot at the prize himself, provided he hasn't dropped back too far by then.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #9 on: 20 August, 2020, 10:26:20 am »
Is this a step down for Carapaz too?  He was going to be protected rider at the Giro, now he'll be Bernal's domestique at the Tour - unless Bernal falls off and he gets a shot at the prize himself, provided he hasn't dropped back too far by then.

I got the impression Carapaz is the insurance policy, suggesting they're not 100% confident in Bernal's fitness/form.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #10 on: 21 August, 2020, 09:52:48 am »
And could Bernal complain if Carapaz took a leaf out of his playbook, and attacked if he felt stronger?  :)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)