Author Topic: Ban Death by Dangerous Driving people from ever driving again  (Read 2084 times)

Ban Death by Dangerous Driving people from ever driving again
« on: 31 January, 2023, 01:38:10 pm »
A petition

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/623592

Found in this Road.cc story https://road.cc/content/news/man-pleads-guilty-dangerous-driving-after-kids-killed-298971

Anyone reading that might arrive at the paragraph explaining who he was represented by and think WHO ?  ? ? before having to read it a second time. You might read it first time more carefully than I did, though  ;D

Re: Ban Death by Dangerous Driving people from ever driving again
« Reply #1 on: 31 January, 2023, 03:43:15 pm »
Signed, but as we all know you can't stop a banned driver driving again

« Reply #2 on: 31 January, 2023, 05:09:02 pm »
Agreed, you can't stop them, but you can stop condoning it. "Poor thing, you may have killed someone to deth but taking away your god given right to drive would be just SO extreme".  Changing that world view is a worthwhile first step.

« Reply #3 on: 31 January, 2023, 05:51:06 pm »
Signed.

« Reply #4 on: 31 January, 2023, 06:07:23 pm »
Signed, It is a great concept that I expect the motoring lobby to prevent from being implemented. But I agree driving is a privilege and some people have demonstrated that they can't be trusted with it. At the very least you make the driving an consecutive to the prison sentence rather than concurrent.

I do have to wonder why we need a 'causing death by dangerous driving' charge, if that was rephrased as 'causing death by grossly negligent driving' which I believe* is the threshold for Dangerous Driving then surely it would be manslaughter through gross negligence.

* Please correct me if I am wrong on either the threshold for dangerous driving or the

« Reply #5 on: 31 January, 2023, 06:24:07 pm »
signed and shared
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #6 on: 31 January, 2023, 07:07:17 pm »
Only 10,000-odd signatures after nearly 10 months isn't likely to result in any changes in the law.

« Reply #7 on: 31 January, 2023, 08:25:38 pm »
Signed and shared.
Won't change whilst most jurors, legal professionals and politicians are drivers not cyclists.

« Reply #8 on: 31 January, 2023, 09:08:08 pm »
Only 10,000-odd signatures after nearly 10 months isn't likely to result in any changes in the law.

Slightly over 3 months, if it gets media exposure it could hit 100,000 sufficient to ensure it gets debated before being kicked into touch

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #9 on: 01 February, 2023, 10:44:48 am »
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #10 on: 01 February, 2023, 11:03:18 am »
Signed and 11297

« Reply #11 on: 01 February, 2023, 11:52:19 am »
Greater awareness starts the ball rolling.  I am hoping to see a bit of an uplift over the coming days and weeks as momentum gathers.

« Reply #12 on: 01 February, 2023, 11:55:15 am »
Yes, the map is interesting, it shows very broad uptake but with very little traction in the urban centres as yet (outside of a small pocket in the NW) opening the possibility of significant increase.