Author Topic: Carradice saddlebags  (Read 2827 times)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
Carradice saddlebags
« on: 01 February, 2023, 10:40:47 pm »
It occurred to me today, whilst gazing at Olive, that saddlebags are just the same now, as they were 60 years ago, yet mostly we fit them differently. They used to hang from the saddle loops and attach to the seat post, at a sort of 30 degree angle, yet now they mostly tend to sit on racks and supports , and be level. But in their intended position, I can’t help wondering why the flap was never put on the other way round. Basically they are ‘hinged ‘ at the top so most stuff falls out when you open it, but if they were hinged at the bottom, they would open like an old Mini boot lid, and you could retrieve stuff, and rummage, without loosing most of it.

Likewise , Brooks saddles, after being in production for well over 100 years,you think some bright spark would have re designed the frame a tad, to make the rails longer to suit modern bike designs and geometry. Typical British do nothing attitude , me thinks.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Carradice saddlebags
« Reply #1 on: 02 February, 2023, 09:19:14 am »
Modern touring bikes have seat angles that are too steep (because they're a niche product and the designers know racing bikes better).  So the saddle has to be shoved right back, snd this leads to the silly angle of the bag.  Try one on a more traditional touring frame with a 71 (or even 70) degree seat instead of the usual 73 degrees, and it works better.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 02 February, 2023, 09:59:56 am »
Back in the early days of saddlebags, seat tube angles were slack enough to need 7-shaped seatposts to put the seat in the right place and the saddlebag hung almost vertical.

Hinging the flap at the bottom would direct rainwater into the bag.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #3 on: 02 February, 2023, 11:27:34 am »
Also think water shedding, if they open at the top with the flap hinged at the front then the flap would have to extend over the top to create a seal or let the water in. by hinging at the top there is continuous fabric here and the opening at the bottom allows the water to run down the flap and drip off the bottom without entering into the saddle bag.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4 on: 02 February, 2023, 11:56:12 am »
I've never had anything fall out of a saddlebag, even on occasions when I've forgotten to fasten the lid.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #5 on: 02 February, 2023, 02:34:34 pm »
We used to have a sort of loop of sprung metal that jammed between the seat stays to form a horizontal hoop under the saddlebag and supported it, keeping it level. Simple but effective.
Someone on here will have a photo....

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6 on: 02 February, 2023, 02:36:30 pm »
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #7 on: 02 February, 2023, 04:24:56 pm »
Yes, that looks like a more sophisticated version.
I'm sure that somewhere in the big shed......

« Reply #8 on: 02 February, 2023, 05:35:23 pm »
We used to have a sort of loop of sprung metal that jammed between the seat stays to form a horizontal hoop under the saddlebag and supported it, keeping it level. Simple but effective.
I used on of those. It was more than a bit carp, and broke when I was 70miles from home, up past Middleham.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #9 on: 02 February, 2023, 10:50:49 pm »
I used on of those. It was more than a bit carp, and broke when I was 70miles from home, up past Middleham.
I had one break on me too. Possibly a mismatch vis-a-vis material (aluminium) and purpose?

« Reply #10 on: 03 February, 2023, 07:02:12 am »
Carradice shows them hanging down without any bag support on their website. Anyhow I think it's great that the bags haven't changed and something would lost if they tried to go modern.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: 03 February, 2023, 08:50:32 am »

BFC has modified a QR Bagman support to simply push on the rear and hold the saddlebag out level.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #12 on: 03 February, 2023, 12:10:29 pm »

I had one of those, but the metal was so springy/flexible that it did nothing to support the modest weight of my saddlebag, which rested on the mudguart as if the 'support' wasn't there. I didn't use it long enough for it to break.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #13 on: 03 February, 2023, 04:58:39 pm »

I had a version of this about half a century ago when I was in school. It was a U shape with the two open ends threaded to go through a pair of clamps that then clamped together around the two seat stays (and held in place by a pair of nuts on each threaded section). It was some sort of chromed steel and pretty soft. It bent under the weight of school books! (and I never liked the two clamping pieces clamping onto the seat stays without any protection; they had to be clamped up pretty tight to hold the device in place)

« Reply #14 on: 03 February, 2023, 05:25:46 pm »
I'm not a Carradice user because I think there are now (thanks to bike packing) much lighter, sleeker, waterproof, functional, cheaper and less clumsy alternatives. Carradice are probably better wearing, but for me that is offset by disadvantages.

That isn't to say there isn't a delight to be gained  from using equipment with a heritage because there is, but I'd put Carradice bags in the same category as cutthroat razors for shaving and quills for writing.

Nobody actually asked for an opinion. Just thought I'd start a flame war  ;D

« Reply #15 on: 03 February, 2023, 05:39:00 pm »

I had a version of this about half a century ago when I was in school. It was a U shape with the two open ends threaded to go through a pair of clamps that then clamped together around the two seat stays (and held in place by a pair of nuts on each threaded section). It was some sort of chromed steel and pretty soft. It bent under the weight of school books! (and I never liked the two clamping pieces clamping onto the seat stays without any protection; they had to be clamped up pretty tight to hold the device in place)

I had this support, absolute crap. I think it was aluminium, I couldn't tighten the clamp enough, and the sidepull brakes got in the way of the support. I think I even tried to mount the brake in front of the stays.

(pic from http page not showing)
Carradice Seat-Stay Rack
from, about halfway down the page:
http://pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-035/000.html
Lots of stuff on saddlebag supports.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16 on: 03 February, 2023, 09:54:21 pm »
I'm not a Carradice user because I think there are now (thanks to bike packing) much lighter, sleeker, waterproof, functional, cheaper and less clumsy alternatives. Carradice are probably better wearing, but for me that is offset by disadvantages.

That isn't to say there isn't a delight to be gained  from using equipment with a heritage because there is, but I'd put Carradice bags in the same category as cutthroat razors for shaving and quills for writing

I'll add to the unpopular opinion by saying that the only thing naffer than dangling a bag off the bottom of a saddle is cantilevering some scaffolding off the seatpost to support a bag that would otherwise dangle off the saddle  ;D

Luggage racks and the corresponding bags are a solved problem, and again thanks to bikepacking, one that's receiving some welcome innovation.  No need for bodge-bags testiculating into your wheel.

(I own a couple of Carradice rack bags.  One is simple, ugly and - I hope - reasonably indestructible.  The other is pretty much ideal luggage for day rides, and is therefore discontinued.)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #17 on: 03 February, 2023, 10:00:08 pm »
No, the best reason to use a Carradice saddlebag is so that you can tell people your bike is made of "iron, rubber, canvas and balsa". Or if it's a carbon frame, replace "iron" with "fossils". This probably works best delivered in a cod Yorkshire accent and a flat cap.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #18 on: 05 February, 2023, 07:37:48 am »
The Zipped Roll is a very useful bag with no dangling issues.  It's the bigger ones that need support, or hit the backs of your thighs.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #19 on: 05 February, 2023, 04:47:11 pm »
It might be because I am used to it, but my Nelson Longflap works fine on my long commutes.  Now that I have a pair of shoes and a fleece stashed in the office, I can get the rest of my clothes and my laptop/other office equipment without needing the long flap. On 600km Audaxes it works fine, it's easy to get to things in the side pockets, and it keeps everything dry even in conditions where ducks need snorkels.  There might be better systems out there but it is a working system that suits me. 
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)