Author Topic: This looks like a good idea...not  (Read 1859 times)

Captain Nemo

• Defence de profundis
This looks like a good idea...not
« on: 07 February, 2023, 09:31:10 pm »
“So, something like opening bus lanes to parents on the school run must be done, to stop some children being consistently delayed and therefore disadvantaged.”  ??? :facepalm:

https://inews.co.uk/essentials/lifestyle/cars/car-news/school-run-parents-bus-lanes-243305

Re: This looks like a good idea...not
« Reply #1 on: 07 February, 2023, 09:43:34 pm »
Never mind how this would be policed but obviously he's never heard of induced demand effect.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #2 on: 07 February, 2023, 09:45:15 pm »
I see the campaign was devised and operated solely by the strategy director of a lease car company.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #3 on: 07 February, 2023, 09:48:18 pm »
Hopefully it didn't go anywhere from its first mention in (checks article) 2019.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Captain Nemo

• Defence de profundis
« Reply #4 on: 07 February, 2023, 09:58:57 pm »
Hopefully it didn't go anywhere from its first mention in (checks article) 2019.

My bad. I found the article in a paper local to me but then went looking for a national source:

https://www.northumberlandgazette.co.uk/news/transport/driving-in-bus-lanes-new-campaign-to-allow-parents-cars-into-bus-lanes-during-rush-hour-school-run-4006652

Looks like it is doing the press release rounds again (or just taking a long time to get up to Northunberland).

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5 on: 07 February, 2023, 10:48:47 pm »
In a few places we already have something roughly equivalent to this, in the guise of a car-sharing lane. The only one I'm personally aware of is on one section of the Bristol ring road, but I'm pretty sure there are a few others. From what I've heard, the enforcement is nearly nill.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6 on: 08 February, 2023, 10:31:55 am »
“So, something like opening bus lanes to parents on the school run must be done, to stop some children being consistently delayed and therefore disadvantaged.”  ??? :facepalm:

https://inews.co.uk/essentials/lifestyle/cars/car-news/school-run-parents-bus-lanes-243305

Along with many others who tried to cycle across the Albert Bridge Road/Newtownards Road junction in the rush-hour back in the early 60s, <snort>.  You can forget about "back then there was much less traffic", it was bloody murderous.

Poor darlings.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #7 on: 08 February, 2023, 01:13:00 pm »
Well we mustn’t tire the little darlings legs out. How would they concentrate if they’d walked or cycled to school?