Author Topic: paselas - blackwall vs gumwall  (Read 6450 times)

paselas - blackwall vs gumwall
« on: 24 November, 2016, 01:47:15 pm »
Is there any difference in performance or weight?

SJS have the blackwall ones on special at the moment and I'm considering getting some fat ones as they would be good plush tyres to soak up vibration and save my wrist.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Re: paselas - blackwall vs gumwall
« Reply #1 on: 24 November, 2016, 01:50:27 pm »
Have some folding 35mm Gumwalls for touring which are very comfy but they become filthy very quickly. Not as robust as some others, but comfort offsets this. No experience of the blackwalled variety.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #2 on: 24 November, 2016, 01:57:31 pm »
I've got the black in 28's on my work bike. Don't remember noticing any change in performance when I changed from gumwalls however many years ago.

« Reply #3 on: 24 November, 2016, 02:12:06 pm »
ta muchly.

I have some part-worn Ribmos from some years ago, but I checked for reviews, found my own review (!) and comment about them being a very harsh ride, which I simple can't have, so new tyres it is. It will be extra incentive to get the bike fixed up.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #4 on: 24 November, 2016, 02:31:24 pm »
I'm just guessing, the blackwall version should have more rubber on the sidewalls, therefore in theory should be a tiny bit heavier and less supple.

Chris S

« Reply #5 on: 24 November, 2016, 03:50:06 pm »
We've got 35mm Ribmos on the tandem at the moment. They roll really well, and seem pretty tough so far; they absorb a lot of fuzz from the road compared to their predecessors (GP Four Season) but that could just be a sizing thing.

ETA: They were unbelievably cheap - something like £14.99 each.

« Reply #6 on: 24 November, 2016, 04:33:44 pm »
Maybe I'll give them another go.

I was really unimpressed with them before, and I wasn't alone:
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=68002.msg1409391#msg1409391
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #7 on: 24 November, 2016, 06:17:32 pm »
blackwall tyres should be more resilient to uv derogation  :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #8 on: 24 November, 2016, 08:28:09 pm »
There is a difference between the ones with the puncture protection -- TG, for tour guard -- and the ones without, that are suppler. Webshops do not always seem to know which type they are selling.

« Reply #9 on: 24 November, 2016, 09:09:35 pm »
Or, Planet X/On One currently have the delightful Vittoria Voyager Hypers for £13.00 - £2 less than I paid the other week - in 32, 35 or 38.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVIVOHY/vittoria-voyager-hyper-folding-tyre

120tpi casing, light and a bit of puncture protection. Not the same as the Compass tyres, but a lot less expensive!

« Reply #10 on: 24 November, 2016, 09:26:38 pm »
Desist desist oh bugger.......
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #11 on: 24 November, 2016, 10:20:24 pm »
Or, Planet X/On One currently have the delightful Vittoria Voyager Hypers for £13.00 - £2 less than I paid the other week - in 32, 35 or 38.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVIVOHY/vittoria-voyager-hyper-folding-tyre

120tpi casing, light and a bit of puncture protection. Not the same as the Compass tyres, but a lot less expensive!
I'm after 26" and a lot fatter than that, but thanks.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #12 on: 24 November, 2016, 10:53:06 pm »
Always liked Pasellas and the fatter they are, the better they are - as mentioned above currently on 28c's but have used 26x1.75 too.

« Reply #13 on: 24 November, 2016, 11:07:47 pm »
Mrs B loves the ride of hers, & thinks the amber wall ones suit her vintage bike, but grumbles that she suffers more unscheduled deflations since she switched to them.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #14 on: 25 November, 2016, 10:43:09 am »
Is there any difference between the black walled and amber (gum) walled? I thought it was just colour, and have been using them that way. I prefer all black simply because they don't get to look as dirty. It's not been my impression that the sidewall is any thicker.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #15 on: 25 November, 2016, 02:15:25 pm »
It could just be a difference of casing colour.  If there is a rubber covering on the sidewalls, it's probably an inconsequentially thin layer, is my guess.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #16 on: 25 November, 2016, 03:11:42 pm »
Is there any difference between the black walled and amber (gum) walled?

According to the Panaracer website
https://www.panaracer.com/lineup/urban_touring.html
the black and amber sidewall versions, when all else is equal (size, wire or folding bead, and whether regular or PT version), all appear to have the same weight and the same max inflation pressure, as far as I can tell. Which makes me suspect the difference is only cosmetic.

FWIW, despite their site, I've never been able to find the black wall version of the 700c, PT, folding configuration (my preferred type) in the wild, whereas the amber wall is widely available.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #17 on: 28 November, 2016, 06:46:05 pm »
Is there any difference in performance or weight?

SJS have the blackwall ones on special at the moment and I'm considering getting some fat ones as they would be good plush tyres to soak up vibration and save my wrist.
Black if you have rim brakes, unless they're ceramic rims.

Having said that, my rear tyre still gets filthy and that has a coaster brake.  The chain gives off just enough oil mist to make road dirt stick like shit to a blanket.  Tyres with reflective sidewalls don't stay reflective for long.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #18 on: 28 November, 2016, 07:48:59 pm »
gumwall tyres may look ok(ish) if everything else is coordinated on a bike and it's not being ridden. once the tyres get dirty, it's virtually impossible to clean them and then they look ewww..

"black is the colour.. of my true love's hair tyres" O:-)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #19 on: 28 November, 2016, 08:04:11 pm »
It shows the bike actually gets ridden, unlike the garage queens that only come out on sunny Sunday afternoons. Tread should be black, sidewalls should be natural. Coloured tyres are for the entertainment of five year olds.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #20 on: 29 November, 2016, 08:58:06 am »
It's a personal thing but I've always preferred  all-black tyres. I think they look neater. The gum wall stuff reminds me of elastoplast or support stockings. And the all-black stuff has been around long enough to be thought of as traditional. I'm sure I had all-black tyres on a bike in the early 1970s.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #21 on: 29 November, 2016, 10:17:51 am »
No doubt, as really cheap tyres had black rubber on the sidewalls too.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #22 on: 29 November, 2016, 10:37:02 am »
I had all-white tyres in the early to mid-1970s. It seems that some of the same tyres are still around on the same bikes:

Probably not quite what the OP is looking for!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23 on: 29 November, 2016, 01:22:20 pm »
It's a personal thing but I've always preferred  all-black tyres. I think they look neater. The gum wall stuff reminds me of elastoplast or support stockings.

That's it!  It's NHS Beige.

« Reply #24 on: 10 December, 2016, 03:45:14 pm »
Desist desist oh bugger.......

having also failed to desist from purchase  :facepalm: , fitted pair 32 mm Hypers to replace old Pasela 28, first ride they feel very smooth and supple and comfortable so a  :thumbsup: from me for them. Generally felt a good tyre, time will tell about fairies infestations from the hedge `cutting`
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above