Author Topic: Chain life  (Read 6337 times)

Re: Chain life
« Reply #25 on: 19 November, 2008, 11:19:57 pm »
Shimano Dura Ace. XTR.

« Reply #26 on: 19 November, 2008, 11:30:09 pm »
I thought you'd maybe have tried non-Shimano, hence the query.

« Reply #27 on: 20 November, 2008, 12:13:00 am »
I didn't know you could do it, but if you can do it, I don't see anything wrong with doing it (apart from perhaps making the shifting slightly sub optimal).

Well done and thank you, Mr Grinder.

Can you give us an example of a chainset and rings that you have done this with?
Flipping chainrings is OK on fixed where sub-optimal shifting is probably a good idea ;). Chainline is unaffected, but chainring bolt length needs watching. However I'm not sure of the benefit.

On old-fashioned (non-indexed) derailleur systems it can be useful. Similarly on the smallest ring of a modern chainset.

Ramped & pinned chanrings on indexed derailleur systems are, of course, a different issue.

« Reply #28 on: 20 November, 2008, 09:00:31 pm »
I didn't know you could do it, but if you can do it, I don't see anything wrong with doing it (apart from perhaps making the shifting slightly sub optimal).

Well done and thank you, Mr Grinder.

Can you give us an example of a chainset and rings that you have done this with?

Shifting?
Oh yes, that's something you gear users do, isn't it?

I use Campag Veloce/Mirage chainsets for my fixer. Two chainrings, plus cranks and bolts (use spacers so that you can use the double chainring bolts) for about the same price as a Campag Record chainring. Not as good quality, but good enough and lasts about as long.

If you have a lathe, you could most likely make up some spacers to fit inside the recess and do the job properly, but I've never had any trouble myself. (touches head/wood)

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #29 on: 21 November, 2008, 06:26:43 pm »
[I use Campag Veloce/Mirage chainsets for my fixer. Two chainrings, plus cranks and bolts (use spacers so that you can use the double chainring bolts) for about the same price as a Campag Record chainring. Not as good quality, but good enough and lasts about as long.

Got to ask - how long does it take to wear out the cranks? Do you have a big pile of Mirage Cranks without rings?
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #30 on: 21 November, 2008, 08:39:47 pm »
Wearing out cranks and chainrings?  It must be something you fixed-gear riders do  ;)
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #31 on: 23 November, 2008, 04:41:13 pm »
The Rohloff chain measurer is a little easier to use than the Park tool, IMHO.

Park actually do a chain checker that looks very much like that - it's good - less than half the price of that Park blue thing  (which I also have) - blue thing useless - you get a different reading depending on how much pressure you put on the thing. A workshop chap from a leading London bicycle chain (yawn) agreed with me.

Paul

« Reply #32 on: 24 November, 2008, 02:04:32 pm »
Yesterday I cleaned my bike, had it sparkling.  Took a picture for Eck even  ;D
New chain.
New tyres.
New cassette.
Go go go.
No.
This morning in the cold start that was Monday I got no more than several hundred metres from home before it jumped and skipped again.
Back to the drawing board.
New chain rings ordered.
I remember a review that the new Tiagra was great value for money but made of cheese compared to the 105 / Ultegra upwards products.
New Ultegra ordered.

To make matters worse, I rode the TCR.  I had cleaned her beautifully too.  I'd taken the SKS race blades off too.

It rained on the way to work.

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #33 on: 24 November, 2008, 02:21:15 pm »

New Ultegra ordered.

Sadly Ultegra chainrings are also made of cheese - they last me no more 5000 miles maximum.   >:( (Page 2 for pictures)
 I am currently trying out some TA chain rings. Will report back next year sometime...

« Reply #34 on: 24 November, 2008, 04:42:23 pm »
Yesterday I cleaned my bike, had it sparkling.  Took a picture for Eck even  ;D
New chain.
New tyres.
New cassette.
Go go go.
No.
This morning in the cold start that was Monday I got no more than several hundred metres from home before it jumped and skipped again.
New chain rings ordered.
I remember a review that the new Tiagra was great value for money but made of cheese compared to the 105 / Ultegra upwards products.
New Ultegra ordered.

To make matters worse, I rode the TCR.  I had cleaned her beautifully too.  I'd taken the SKS race blades off too.

It rained on the way to work.

As per my comment on another thread, have you considered the jockey wheels?
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

« Reply #35 on: 24 November, 2008, 08:06:42 pm »
I hadn't but I had also inspected them and they appeared sound.  I'm about to take the cranks off to inspect the chain rings.  I seem to recall some shark's teeth.  I'll post a pic in a moment or 5.

My jockey wheels are ceramic bearings anyway so hopefully they are sound still.

« Reply #36 on: 24 November, 2008, 09:41:41 pm »
All chainrings are made of cheese if you run a very worn out chain on them.
Running a chain into the ground is a false economy.
Replace your chain regularly before it is badly worn and everything else will last longer.

« Reply #37 on: 24 November, 2008, 09:43:20 pm »
Yep, my fault, totally.  I reckon I've learned my lesson.  I have posted a pic of just how worn in Pieter's thread.

« Reply #38 on: 24 November, 2008, 09:51:00 pm »
Yep, my fault, totally.  I reckon I've learned my lesson.  I have posted a pic of just how worn in Pieter's thread.
It's easy done. To lose track of your miles when you cycle as far as you do every day.
Running a bike isn't free.
Things wear out very quickly when you do the miles.