Author Topic: Singular Peregrine owners  (Read 6327 times)

Singular Peregrine owners
« on: 10 September, 2009, 12:07:59 pm »
I'm interested in buying one of these from a well known shop but there is some confusion over what the frame set comes with and how much it costs.

Can anyone enlighten me to which bits were included and the cost.

Ta
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: Singular Peregrine owners
« Reply #1 on: 10 September, 2009, 12:15:40 pm »
Mine cost (from memory) £425 and came with frame, forks and the eccentric bottom bracket mount already fitted.

HTH

Great bike, unfortunately I've had to put mine in storage :(

« Reply #2 on: 10 September, 2009, 12:20:31 pm »
Thanks Paul  :thumbsup:

Sam @ Singular has just phoned me to confirm what you've said but the cost may increase on the next batch.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #3 on: 10 September, 2009, 01:43:32 pm »
I'm also contemplating.
Given it's disc only, do the forks have lawyer lips on the dropouts?

PaulF

« Reply #4 on: 10 September, 2009, 03:00:26 pm »
I'm also contemplating.

I haven't seen my bike for a while, but I'm pretty sure that they do - drop Sam at Singular an e-mail, he's very responsine.

« Reply #5 on: 10 September, 2009, 07:47:21 pm »
I'm also contemplating.

Yes, they do.

« Reply #6 on: 10 September, 2009, 08:02:45 pm »
I was looking at a Singular Peregrine to build up a disc braked hub geared bike, but of course they're totally out of stock.

I wonder how much they're likely to be, when they do get some stock in?  At the moment the website lists them as £450 +£10 P&P in the UK mainland.

I suspect that it'll take me a while to build it up, as I can progressively afford to buy bits!
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #7 on: 10 September, 2009, 08:06:29 pm »
Almost completely built  up :thumbsup:

Just need  to get a front disc mount and  fit the cables .

« Reply #8 on: 10 September, 2009, 08:11:59 pm »
mine might as well be in storage, I've used it 3 or 4 times this year.  No time to go touring :(

I got frame, forks, headset, excentric bottom bracket insert (not the BB, just the insert) for 350 but it was ex demo and has a couple of scratches in the paint.

Good excuse to post a pic though, it's my prettiest bike :D:

« Reply #9 on: 10 September, 2009, 08:12:32 pm »
Hang on, you've gone from "interested in buying" one, to having it assembled in less than eight hours. :o

« Reply #10 on: 10 September, 2009, 08:27:41 pm »
Very nice Mike  ;)

TimO, I've been pondering it for a while and already had all of the kit ready to bolt on fitted to another bike. This afternoon I've stripped the parts off the mtb and fitted them to this. Look at Mikes, they're lovely !!

I'll be running it as a 'do it all' type bike. It'll be a winter road/off road bike. I've built it using 26" dt swiss rims on xt hubs, they'll take all of my mtb tyres and run comfy road tyres, all with guards.

I'm trying to decide whether to use a single front ring with the rear cassette. I don't want it ss or fixed and pondering handlebars. I like the nitto promenade or some type of moustache bar but they must be compatible with xt disc levers, currently on risers. So I'm not quite done yet  :P

« Reply #11 on: 11 September, 2009, 01:17:05 pm »
I use a single chainring on mine. When it's with gears, a 11-32 cassette gives ample range for Welsh hills to club run/race home. It's also easy to swap for a single cog (and spacer kit) for singlespeed and a (soon to be built up) Alfine hub wheel.

You might need to be careful with 26" wheels - pedal strike will be a real possibility.

« Reply #12 on: 11 September, 2009, 01:35:48 pm »
You might need to be careful with 26" wheels - pedal strike will be a real possibility.

I was wondering about that, the bottom bracket is likely to be a little low.

Isn't that why they made the Hummingbird, so you can use 26" wheels?

« Reply #13 on: 11 September, 2009, 02:05:43 pm »
26" wheels with big tyres aren't much if at all smaller than 700c with narrow tyres. 590/2+40=335mm axle to ground, 622/2+23=334mm

« Reply #14 on: 11 September, 2009, 02:09:48 pm »
Yebbut, the Peregrine is designed to use 700c with big tyres, not 23s

« Reply #15 on: 11 September, 2009, 04:54:07 pm »
The pedal clearance is almost identical to 700's with the tyres I'm running. The eccentric bottom bracket will also allow a little vertical adjustment.

I've gone down the single front chain ring route Simon but I still can't ride it because I'm waiting for a front post/is disc mount to fit a 180 rotor  :(

donpedro

• ain`t haulin` any lambs to the marketplace anymore
    • But, I'm Swedish!
« Reply #16 on: 12 September, 2009, 10:43:55 am »
They seem a bit on the heavy side but if your looking for a tourer/commuter that's a good thing. My neighbour got one for commuting/grocery getter and is very pleased. But I do wonder why the man behind the company have put up his own for sale?!
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."

« Reply #17 on: 12 September, 2009, 11:15:23 am »
I suspect Sam doesn't use it much - he's more into MTB racing.

« Reply #18 on: 26 April, 2013, 06:36:07 pm »
Any updated info from people? Like TimO, I'm considering a hub geared build - specifically an 11 Speed Alfine Di2. Cost is now £565 (http://www.singularcycles.com/shop/index.php/frames/singular-peregrine.html), rear brake is still outboard of the rear triangle, which seems a shame especially on an eccentric BB (meaning you won't have to fiddle with the caliper mounting all the time)

PaulF

« Reply #19 on: 26 April, 2013, 07:31:05 pm »
Where do I start?

A great do anything bike! I've used mine for commuting, audax, light off road and general riding around.

Currently running Alfine 8 on it but had it with 3 x 10 previously and about to convert to singlespeed. Really comfy ride and will take 2" tyres with mudguards.

Wouldn't be without it!

PaulF

« Reply #20 on: 26 April, 2013, 07:32:44 pm »
PS Sam posted on Facwbook a couple of days ago that he'd just had a new shipment so get 'em while they're hot!