Author Topic: Will £150 get a better bike than £100?  (Read 6342 times)

Comstock

Re: Will £150 get a better bike than £100?
« Reply #25 on: 30 December, 2009, 08:57:42 pm »
In answer to the original Q.

Yes. Don't be fooled by price snobbery. Especially if like me you just use a bike to keep the flab away and get some exercise.

I have two bikes - one is a five year old "Hybrid" apollo Halford's hack (£150 new) that I have completed over 6000 miles on including a camping trip from Bristol to Devon.

Thanks for the alternative view. Are Apollo's the 'least worst' of the cheapies?

border-rider

« Reply #26 on: 30 December, 2009, 09:00:30 pm »
I'd spend money on the Raleigh Raven.

agreed

£50 quid on that would likely get you a better bike than you could buy for £100

« Reply #27 on: 30 December, 2009, 09:22:07 pm »
Just an ebay e.g. - doubt it'll do more than a ton and a half (rigid forks and not discs)

Trek 3500 mountain bike on eBay (end time  03-Jan-10 20:00:32 GMT)

Usual disclaimers - not mine, no interest!
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

« Reply #28 on: 30 December, 2009, 09:32:14 pm »
Welcome to the forum, Comstock  :)
IIRC, £150 in 1994 got you a reasonable bike. In 1989 I bought a Raleigh Mustang new for £170. Heavy, certainly but BSO it was not  - gave it away in 2000 but AFAIK, it's still going.

However, the best advice I can give is to keep the tyres pumped up hard - harder than you think. On your visit to my favourite store (yeah I know, change the record) buy a track pump.

If I'd done this with above bike and its successor I'f have had much smoother riding.

So, yes, spend money on the Raven as Lee and MV say but heed the general advice about buying 2nd-hand or Decathlon if you need a cheap replacement.

« Reply #29 on: 30 December, 2009, 09:35:13 pm »

Yes. Don't be fooled by price snobbery. Especially if like me you just use a bike to keep the flab away and get some exercise.

I have two bikes - one is a five year old "Hybrid" apollo Halford's hack (£150 new) that I have completed over 6000 miles on including a camping trip from Bristol to Devon.

Thanks for the alternative view. Are Apollo's the 'least worst' of the cheapies?

Older Apollos weren't too bad, but avoid the current "full suspensions all bells and whistles only £140 reduced from £400" ones - they are junk and would never have sold for that price other than for the minimum period needed to satisfy the law with respect to claiming a reduced price. Actually, that's good advice generally - if you are looking for a £150 bike, avoid anything with suspension (especially rear) and disk brakes. You simply cannot put those parts on for that price, you'll have nothing but grief from them and a heavier bike to push around.
The Carrera range are reasonable for the money; my brother just bought the Carrera Vengeance Race Ltd for his son for Christmas. It's not a bling bike, but sensibly specced for the money. It's a bit over your price (£200), but I'd happily use it.

But, to be honest, as others have said - if the frame and wheels are sound on your Raven then you could make that into a much nicer and more reliable bike than you'd get otherwise.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #30 on: 30 December, 2009, 11:45:09 pm »

Decathlon get my vote every time. Their prices are very good. Their customer service is goodish, but crucially - their mechanics actually know what they are doing. Add to that the 2yrs warranty on parts and 5yrs on the frame and you are looking at a seriously good deal.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #31 on: 31 December, 2009, 08:24:23 am »
How about this suggestion - take the Raleigh along to the suggested shop in Derby, and ask them to replace tyres, true up the wheels and give it a full service, including replace all cables. You might get what feels like a new bike back!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #32 on: 31 December, 2009, 09:18:22 am »
^^^^^^
an excellent idea

Jacomus

« Reply #33 on: 31 December, 2009, 09:59:29 am »
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Comstock

« Reply #34 on: 31 December, 2009, 10:13:15 am »
Morning. The Raven really is knackered. It's 15 years old, and I've run it into the ground.

The chain sags, and the cogs are worn. The tyres are cracked (still the originals I think) The back brakes don't work because the back wheel seems loose and wobbles from side to side. I'm not someone who throws things away lightly, but this really is ready to go.

My Raven cost me £120 new. There must be a real market for a 'BSO plus' around this price point. From the replies above, Decathlon seems to be the closest we've got.

Jacomus

« Reply #35 on: 31 December, 2009, 10:27:52 am »
Morning. The Raven really is knackered. It's 15 years old, and I've run it into the ground.

The chain sags, and the cogs are worn. The tyres are cracked (still the originals I think) The back brakes don't work because the back wheel seems loose and wobbles from side to side. I'm not someone who throws things away lightly, but this really is ready to go.

My Raven cost me £120 new. There must be a real market for a 'BSO plus' around this price point. From the replies above, Decathlon seems to be the closest we've got.

With respect, everything that you have listed as knackered is eminently fixable. Chains and tyres are consumables and need replacing regularly and a wonky rear wheel just needs a bit of TLC from someone who knows what they are doing.

That said, you could end up spending close to your budget getting the bike fixed and serviced.

You might just want to get your hands on a nice new bike, it is a lovely feeling and if that is the case I would heartily recommend the Triban 3 from Decathlon. Be sure to do something good with your Raven though - take it to your local Freecycle for example.

You might like to take a look around the following website. Sheldon Brown made an incredible contribution to the cycling community and his website is jam packed with useful and interesting articles and how-to's of cycling.

Sheldon Brown-Bicycle Technical Information

« Reply #36 on: 31 December, 2009, 10:36:11 am »
Comstock

From your description the wearing parts of the Raven are worn out.

These are all replaceable within your £150 with decent components.

From the sounds of it you need:

Tyres
brake blocks and cables
Wheel bearings and true the wheels
chain
freewheel
rear gear mech (possibly - may just need cleaning and oiling)

The point being if you spend your budget on just the bits you need without replacing the frame the bits you buy are better quality than you get if some of your budget is spent on the frame you don't need.

or if I hadn't already typed this:

^^^^^^^^^ +1

« Reply #37 on: 31 December, 2009, 12:01:15 pm »
What this says to me is -
Chain worn out - replaceable.
Cogs worn out - replaceable - and would need to be, as a new chain would probably jump on badly worn ones.
Tyres worn out - consumables. You've had more than your moneys worth from them.
Back wheel - bearings worn out. Replaceable. May also need trueing. Routine fix.

i.e. What Matthew & Jacomus said.

I know that urge to get something new, & recently replaced a slightly older bike than yours which needed the same sort of work. It had had it all before, but then worn out again, & I decided I wanted a new bike, rather than re-refurbishing it. But someone on this forum bought the old one from me to rebuild, proving it is still a viable option.

Up to you which you prefer, & I think you've had some very good advice here on which to base your decision. Whichever, I hope you end up with a bike you like. Good luck!

"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #38 on: 31 December, 2009, 12:19:12 pm »
All this is good advice. Replacing the worn out stuff will give you a good return for your money.
But if you do decide to replace the knackered parts, first make damned sure that your frame isn't knackered as well!  :o
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #39 on: 31 December, 2009, 12:53:08 pm »
Back wheel - bearings worn out. Replaceable. May also need trueing. Routine fix.

That's good, but only if the hard plating isn't worn out. I bet the cones are shagged and wouldn't be surprised if the cups were too. I doubt it uses "sealed" bearings, which would be fantastice because you could replace them.

The trouble with us lot saying to replace the worn out parts is that for us who do it ourselves, it's a doddle. But if you are new to it all and have to learn every step of the way, it's a very big jump. Even worse if you can't do simple stuff like mend a puncture. Just going into a shop and buying a new bike that will work is very attractive.
It's a matter of what you want.
£150 for a new bike is a very low price. I reckon that to get the equivelent quality of car brand new, you'd have to spend 20 times that amount. A £150 bike would be like a £3000 brand new car.
I don't know if you could buy one for that price*, but it would be at the absolute bottom end of the market. Would you trust it?
But buy a £3000 second hand car, you'd get something pretty good.

*and that's the point  really. You might get a serviceable bike that will last a few years, but probably not as long as your old bike. But most likely, you'll end up with something more akin to a child's toy that will be worse than the bike you have within a couple of years at the very best. Probably a few months, even weeks.

Every part of a bicycle will wear out in time and it's always cheaper to replace bits as they go. I know people who have had the same bike for 50 years. It's just made up of totally different parts to what it originally was.

Zoidburg

« Reply #40 on: 31 December, 2009, 02:38:51 pm »
I would not throw the money at it either.

It does not merit it, I also think some of you are leading this chap astray as to how simple it is to replace parts on an old bike.

Teethgrinder is spot on.

« Reply #41 on: 31 December, 2009, 03:30:42 pm »
The way I'm looking at it now is that throwing money in parts at that bike will probably get a decent servicable bike that is reliable.  New rear wheel, a chain, tyres and cables looks like the bulk of the work; and will come in under budget.  Let's say £150 in a shop that does the work.

At the same time a new bike, if you can be sure of the quality, is a good feeling.

Throwing £150 at a decent second hand bike is ok, but you'll only have the equivalent of the current bike repaired.  Therefore for the new bike feeling it needs to be brand new, and I'm not certain that you'll get a decent long lasting bike for £150 brand new.

Comstock seems set on a new bike, which is understandable.

I think that this would be my approach.

1) Take bike to reputable shop and get quotes for getting it on the road.
2) If quote ok, pay shop to replace rear wheel, chain, tyres, cables etc.
3) Ride, enjoy, put money aside each month so that in the future there is sufficient budget for n+1

Comstock, "n+1" is the standard joke on here that the correct number of bicycles to own is n+1, where n = the number of bikes currently owned.

« Reply #42 on: 31 December, 2009, 03:43:43 pm »
Hi Comstock

seven years ago, when I joined one of this forum's predecessors, I was in a similar (although not identical) situation to you.  I'd not bought a bike for twenty-odd years and my previous one needed an awful lot of work done on it to return it to 'rideable but not very good'.  I treated myself to a £200 pound bike, which was the previous year's £300 bike, reduced because they had a new colour in stock  :facepalm:

I still use that bike, although it's had two new wheels, new bottom bracket, several new chains and rear sets and so on.

Shortly afterwards, a colleague started to commute to work.  He bought a £100 bike from Halfords.  It weighed twice what mine does, and lasted him just about a year before one of the pedal cranks broke and the repair bill would have been more than another bike.

So, I would say that a £200 bike is much better value than a £100 one, and I wouldn't recommend anyone get a £100 to be anything more serious than a toy.

As others have said, second hand or doing up your current steed might be the best option.  Then start saving for a really nice new one. 
I would be doing the same but I don't seem to have any savings left!

Steve
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."