Author Topic: Replacement headset for Trek WSD 1500  (Read 6454 times)

megajoules expenditure

Replacement headset for Trek WSD 1500
« on: 19 January, 2010, 03:24:22 pm »
I'm trying to find out a part no or similar for the headset on my Trek 1500WSD which is now about 5 years old so I can get a replacement. The Trek website just lists it as an Aheadset Slimstak w/semi cartridge sealed bearings but doesn't give any part number. So far the Trek dealers I've asked haven't been able to help as they only have knowledge of current models.
Any ideas anyone ???

Re: Replacement headset for Trek WSD 1500
« Reply #1 on: 19 January, 2010, 03:38:30 pm »
Is there any particular reason why you want to replace it with an identical one?

You should be able to use almost* any threadless headset to replace it.

* The name 'Slimstack' might imply that it has a low stack height, so some headsets could leave you with insufficient fork steerer**.

**This shouldn't be a problem if there are any spacers in the stack - you'd just need to remove one or more.
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

megajoules expenditure

« Reply #2 on: 19 January, 2010, 04:19:05 pm »
It's been quite a saga as we did previously go down the route of just tracking down some replacement bearings but this headset has been periodically troublesome all the time I've had it with a tendency to self tighten over a period.We have come to the conclusion that the only solution is a complete replacement. The trouble is it seems to be a slightly non standard size.It is neither inch or inch and an eighth.Hence the reason why we thought it may work best to get an identical one. ::-)

Is there any particular reason why you want to replace it with an identical one?

You should be able to use almost* any threadless headset to replace it.

* The name 'Slimstack' might imply that it has a low stack height, so some headsets could leave you with insufficient fork steerer**.

**This shouldn't be a problem if there are any spacers in the stack - you'd just need to remove one or more.

« Reply #3 on: 20 January, 2010, 09:39:10 am »
...it seems to be a slightly non standard size.It is neither inch or inch and an eighth.

Ouch! I see your problem.  :facepalm:

In that case, I'd go straight to the manufacturers, not the dealers. I've not dealt with Trek, but other manufacturers have been helpful (if slow) in responding to queries WRT defunct models.

Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #4 on: 20 January, 2010, 11:18:37 am »
The trouble is it seems to be a slightly non standard size.It is neither inch or inch and an eighth.

What makes you think that?  A measurement?  Difficulty in fitting a head cup?  Difficulty in fitting a crown race?

If non-integrated type, it seems unlikely to me that you won't be able to fit a standard headset, even if you have to try two or three dfferent ones.  Sometimes the components can vary slightly in size from what they're supposed to be, and there is more than two standards for crown races.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #5 on: 20 January, 2010, 11:29:21 am »
I'd be surprised if it isn't a standard 11/8 headset. 

I believe the WSD1500 uses the same forks as several other models in the Trek range, so it would be odd if it had a non-standard headset. 

A plus point about Trek road bikes up to about 2007 was that they use a standard non-integrated headset, which avoids the whole can of worms about which of several integrated headset sizes is the right one.  My 2006 Trek Pilot and 2007 Trek Madone both have Cane Creek non-integrated headsets, and as far as I know, they are the standard 11/8 size.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #6 on: 20 January, 2010, 03:22:13 pm »
The trouble is it seems to be a slightly non standard size.It is neither inch or inch and an eighth.

clicky
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #7 on: 20 January, 2010, 04:51:46 pm »
It doesn't sodding help that the word has become a generic term, as well as a marketing brand

Still, you could manufacture your own, free of constraint, in a few months - 'bout halfway down

megajoules expenditure

« Reply #8 on: 22 January, 2010, 03:09:09 pm »
Thanks for the help Iddu and others :thumbsup:

I've finally solved the problem(hopefully ::-)) after JE James cycles phoned me back today and told me that Trek have their own specific sizing  for the external diameter of the bearings in their integrated headsets,hence you can only buy spares from Trek ::-)

I've ordered 2 while I can in case they stop making the one I need at any time 8)

Many thanks to JE James cycles.Good service.

It doesn't sodding help that the word has become a generic term, as well as a marketing brand

Still, you could manufacture your own, free of constraint, in a few months - 'bout halfway down

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #9 on: 22 January, 2010, 03:49:59 pm »
...Trek have their own...

Oh FFS >:( Really gets my goat when this is done.

Marks Trek off any future purchase list.