Author Topic: Shimano STI lever query: double to triple  (Read 6393 times)

Shimano STI lever query: double to triple
« on: 21 February, 2010, 07:50:39 pm »
I currently have these shifters:

Ultegra 6600 at Ribble

I note they sell double and triple versions.

On mine (compact double) there are clearly 3 derailleur positions available: is this simply to avoid chain rub in all gears, or could I in fact use this shifter for a triple chainset?

(Or perhaps I have the shifter for a triple? Where is the model number located on these?)

Martin

Re: Shimano STI lever query: double to triple
« Reply #1 on: 21 February, 2010, 08:11:24 pm »
you may well have the triple; they often sell them with double chainsets and adjust them (by means of the limit screws on the front mech) so you cannot get the third position; although I find it's best to use all 3 with the highest position to accomodate the chainline for the very highest gears (ie 7 8 9 which you only use going downhill), seems to make transition between the small and large ring easier with the other 2 positions.

AIUI the shifters are identical except for the tumbler inside the STI (do NOT take it apart to find out!) so may have the same model number.

I have had two bikes sold as double which turned out to have triple STI's

if you can definitely get 3 positions you can adjust it to work with 3 by letting out the limit screws on the front mech.

NB you might have to change the front mech as they make different ones for double and triple; although having a compact of presumably 34 means it may well work with the 30 on a triple. You may also need a long cage rear mech to accommodate the extra slack...

in short; don't go out and buy a triple chainset without checking the above; I can lend you one if you want to have a play about.

« Reply #2 on: 21 February, 2010, 08:13:56 pm »
My Ultegra 6500 9 speed worked with both double & triple.

« Reply #3 on: 21 February, 2010, 08:19:31 pm »
A front shifter for a triple has four positions.   You can determine this by detaching the cable from the mech and, whilst gently pulling the cable to provide some tension, operate the levers.   Any less than four and I would be certain that it is for a double.

« Reply #4 on: 21 February, 2010, 08:27:44 pm »
Thanks all. Yes, I know that I'll at the very least need a new front derailleur - that's ok as they are not too expensive. I have been toying with the idea of doing this conversion for some time - my plan is to do it, at the latest, when my compact wears out again. I don't need to do that yet but I've spotted a triple chainset at a very appealing price so I might get it for when that day rolls around.

A front shifter for a triple has four positions.   You can determine this by detaching the cable from the mech and, whilst gently pulling the cable to provide some tension, operate the levers.   Any less than four and I would be certain that it is for a double.

I'll try that. It certainly has at least 3 positions - in fact it is essential that it does for the current set-up to work nicely. 4? I'll have to use your method to find out, unless I can see a model number in there (under the rubber?) to confirm.

« Reply #5 on: 21 February, 2010, 08:28:53 pm »
My Ultegra 6500 9 speed worked with both double & triple.

9 speed Ultegras STI shifters were identical for double and triple, according to the intertubes, not so for 10 speed apparently.

« Reply #6 on: 21 February, 2010, 08:45:27 pm »
Here you go

6600 for doubles, 6603 for triples.

« Reply #7 on: 22 February, 2010, 02:43:22 pm »
Is the model number visible on the shifters somewhere? I don't really want to disconnect my beautifully set up  :smug: front mech unless I really have to...

« Reply #8 on: 22 February, 2010, 02:53:20 pm »
Just try it. Remember to adjust the inner stop screw. The absolute worst that can happen is that it works but not all that well.

« Reply #9 on: 22 February, 2010, 08:48:42 pm »
I don't know.   I would imagine so somewhere.

The Mechanic

« Reply #10 on: 24 February, 2010, 11:16:33 am »
It will not work if you only have a double lever.  There will not be enough pull on the cable to move the front mech across three chainrings.  Worst that can happen is that you buy a triple chainset  and it doesn't work and you have either wasted your money or you will have to buy triple STIs.  Not a cheap experiment. 

« Reply #11 on: 24 February, 2010, 11:23:54 am »
It will not work if you only have a double lever

I know, but I'm wondering if I in fact already have a triple lever. Will investigate when I have time.

« Reply #12 on: 24 February, 2010, 10:50:59 pm »
http://road.cc/content/news/5790-first-ride-video-ultegra-6700-groupset

The above review notes that:

There's a standard double, a compact and a triple; for the first time this year you'll need to buy a shifter that's dedicated to either two or three rings

Not sure if that is correct but it's implying that earlier shifters were the same for double and triple.

« Reply #13 on: 25 February, 2010, 08:13:27 pm »
my sora (double) stis clearly have the ability to trim, wheras my tiagra (triple) levers do not. i've often wondered if i could stick a triple on the sora, but as pointed out, it's an expensive thing to try as i'd still have to replace the front mech as well.
she was quite innocent, 'till she got that bicycle - sykurmolanir

« Reply #14 on: 25 February, 2010, 08:18:52 pm »
All my previous STI's have been triples.  Bloody good job because I lost the ability to put excessive force through my left leg after I snapped it.    :sick:

« Reply #15 on: 25 February, 2010, 08:21:18 pm »
All my previous STI's have been triples.  Bloody good job because I lost the ability to put excessive force through my left leg after I snapped it.    :sick:

an older (and probably wiser) member of my club has a triple with a 32-22 granny gear (32 at the back 22 at the front)!
she was quite innocent, 'till she got that bicycle - sykurmolanir

Martin

« Reply #16 on: 27 February, 2010, 06:09:26 pm »
A front shifter for a triple has four positions.   

you are quite correct; the blurb says it has two positions for the middle ring

« Reply #17 on: 27 February, 2010, 06:14:44 pm »
I got a LH triple Ultegra lever, on its own, for £50 from Chain Reaction which I think is not too bad. This will match my existing RH lever when I get round to doing it. I'll be leaving it until the road skog improves...