Author Topic: Does having a rack affect the handling of your bike?  (Read 6347 times)

Re: Does having a rack affect the handling of your bike?
« Reply #50 on: 12 March, 2010, 10:22:11 pm »
It really is down to what you want to carry and how often

For the Bob Jackson - tricky. Usually I carry little on the commute: lunch, an extra layer, Velo rain jacket rolled up, keys, phone... so I wouldn't need much for that (I could revert to the rucksac when needed for books etc). But it would be good to be able to take enough for a day ride + camera etc.

I don't want anything on the seatpost. I'll do a bit of searching on this Bagman thing.

« Reply #51 on: 12 March, 2010, 11:03:21 pm »
Mine is going to be left on all year round(but then i plan to attach and antenna to it for a radio, i do amateur radio) and will be used all year round.

I did some experiments with this last year, trying out APRS. The bike and rack don't make a particularly good ground plane, and unless you have a very long antenna (making you look a bit silly) then your antenna doesn't have clearance above you which affects efficiency. The next thing to try here is something like an FBK attached to a fibreglass whip, but the main reason for me stopping the experiment is that I found that even with a good antenna system on my car 5W wasn't really enough to give consistent tracking in this area. 25W seems about optimal, but then I'm into the extra size and weight of a mobile radio and battery rather than a hand held and tracker stuffed into a side pocket of the saddle bag.

« Reply #52 on: 12 March, 2010, 11:28:22 pm »
Mine is going to be left on all year round(but then i plan to attach and antenna to it for a radio, i do amateur radio) and will be used all year round.

I did some experiments with this last year, trying out APRS. The bike and rack don't make a particularly good ground plane, and unless you have a very long antenna (making you look a bit silly) then your antenna doesn't have clearance above you which affects efficiency. The next thing to try here is something like an FBK attached to a fibreglass whip, but the main reason for me stopping the experiment is that I found that even with a good antenna system on my car 5W wasn't really enough to give consistent tracking in this area. 25W seems about optimal, but then I'm into the extra size and weight of a mobile radio and battery rather than a hand held and tracker stuffed into a side pocket of the saddle bag.

My idea was to either have a L shaped mount on the back, or have a metal plate ontop of the rack with a body mount on that and a 1/4 wave of 2m ontop of that.
I dont want a 1/2wave on, i really would look like a right twat with that on.
But, the places where i ride i should be able to hit the local repeater with the handheld(ill be using the Jingtong) and be ok. I did have it mounted on a plate which was then attached to the seat rails but i just couldnt get the SWR down enough. Hoping the rack will make abit of difference.
Got an idea of going into Derbyshire up a hill and seeing what contacts i can get.

Don't question. It makes people angry.

« Reply #53 on: 13 March, 2010, 08:17:00 am »

For the Bob Jackson - tricky. Usually I carry little on the commute: lunch, an extra layer, Velo rain jacket rolled up, keys, phone... so I wouldn't need much for that (I could revert to the rucksac when needed for books etc). But it would be good to be able to take enough for a day ride + camera etc.

I don't want anything on the seatpost. I'll do a bit of searching on this Bagman thing.

IMO of all carrying devices, saddle bag on loops or a bagman looks the best. Shame that Brooks are the only saddles with loops as they IMO look aweful, similarly shame that no one makes nicer looking bags than those Caradice ones.

« Reply #54 on: 13 March, 2010, 08:45:59 am »
I'm thinking of getting a Gilles Berthoud saddlebag for my Bob J.  Not much bag for the money, but not too much more than a Barley plus bagman.

« Reply #55 on: 13 March, 2010, 09:49:15 am »
My idea was to either have a L shaped mount on the back, or have a metal plate ontop of the rack with a body mount on that and a 1/4 wave of 2m ontop of that.

I've started a separate thread for this, here.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #56 on: 13 March, 2010, 10:04:24 am »
I'm going off the idea of putting a rack on the Bob Jackson.

Because of the appearance or the handling?  Plenty of posters here are saying that handling won't be a problem.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #57 on: 13 March, 2010, 11:09:47 am »

IMO of all carrying devices, saddle bag on loops or a bagman looks the best. Shame that Brooks are the only saddles with loops as they IMO look aweful, similarly shame that no one makes nicer looking bags than those Caradice ones.
I think some of the Selle Royal range come with bag loops.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #58 on: 13 March, 2010, 11:17:16 am »

« Reply #59 on: 14 March, 2010, 09:10:39 am »

Beauty is in the eye of the bagholder.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #60 on: 14 March, 2010, 01:45:39 pm »

Aye, the sight fills me with awe as well :)

« Reply #61 on: 14 March, 2010, 02:13:28 pm »
yeah, I meant shite of course

« Reply #62 on: 16 March, 2010, 03:29:45 pm »
That Bob Jackson is too nice to be spoiled with a rack.

Get yerself an SQR block anna nice big Carradice.  You know it makes sense  :thumbsup:

Carradice Super C Barley and a Bagman in the post <sigh>

Beard next I suppose  ::-)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #63 on: 16 March, 2010, 03:33:36 pm »
That's it, man.  Now, do you know where your nearest cafe serving pint mugs of tea for ten bob is?
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #64 on: 16 March, 2010, 03:42:43 pm »
Hmm, ten bob = 50p. Even in India a pint mug will cost you 20 rupees = 25p. And that might be a little far for even the CTC hardriders section to cover in a Sunday run!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.