Author Topic: Where to get test rides for carbon bikes  (Read 6399 times)

Re: Where to get test rides for carbon bikes
« Reply #25 on: 23 September, 2010, 07:49:33 pm »
No the fixed is Ti.  The Rourke is 853 steel.  Weighs a ton, handling is pants. It isnt a comfy ride either.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #26 on: 24 September, 2010, 08:28:26 am »
Obviously you need to get a good steel bike rather than that one.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #27 on: 24 September, 2010, 09:41:42 am »
There's certainly a bit of a myth in Audax circles that carbon bikes are wholly inappropriate for long distances. I was quite happy dragging my Wilier Izoard round a hilly 400 earlier this year.

It probably came about because carbon frames generally:
- have more aggressive geometry,
- don't have fitting/clearance for rack & mudguards.

Therefore most carbon frames are less suited. Not the same as carbon being unsuitable.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #28 on: 24 September, 2010, 09:44:21 am »
The carbon frame I use for audax is a race frame. Aggressive geometry, no mudguard or rack mounts. Raceguards and a seatpost rack solve this.

I find it eminently suitable for audax

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #29 on: 24 September, 2010, 10:03:18 am »
.. and PBP has been done on a kick scooter ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #30 on: 24 September, 2010, 10:08:20 am »
Have you done an audax on a carbon frame, mattc?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #31 on: 24 September, 2010, 10:31:54 am »
It probably came about because carbon frames generally:
- have more aggressive geometry,

True, but I would guess the perception that this makes them unsuitable for audaxing is just a hangover from pre-carbon days, when most racing bikes were aluminium, ie nothing to do with the qualities of carbon per se. Carbon is so much better at absorbing road noise than aluminium, even a full-on racing-geometry frame is going to be relatively comfortable in carbon.

It's also less true now than it used to be - there are loads of full carbon "sportive" bikes on the market these days, with more relaxed geometry, the Specialized Roubaix being a prime example. This is one area where us audaxers have a big reason to be grateful for the growth in popularity of sportives.

I reckon something like the Hewitt Alpine or Colnago Ace is going to be much more suitable for the serious audaxer than a comparably specced steel bike.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #32 on: 24 September, 2010, 11:31:51 am »
Nope.*

Have you ridden a 1200+ on ... er ... any kind of frame?

[ And anyway, I really don't see why you persist in assuming your one experience transcends all possible riders, bikes and events. ]

*I'm certainly not ruling it out in the future though.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #33 on: 24 September, 2010, 11:44:35 am »
Nope.*

[ And anyway, I really don't see why you persist in assuming your one experience transcends all possible riders, bikes

I'm not doing that, am I.

I, on the other hand have ridden many audaxes on a carbon frame, whereas you haven't and yet you still have an opinion.

Maybe you feel that your uninformed opinion is worth more that that of someone who actually knows what they are talking about..

Own goal, Matt.

« Reply #34 on: 24 September, 2010, 11:52:08 am »
Nope.*

Have you ridden a 1200+ on ... er ... any kind of frame?

Ooh, this'll be a fun game.

Have you ridden a 1400+ on any kind of frame Matt?

*awaits trumping by Mille Miglia, Scottish Star, Calais-Brindisi, Trafalgar-Trafalgar or Grand Triangle riders*
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #35 on: 24 September, 2010, 12:00:20 pm »
I, on the other hand have ridden many audaxes on a carbon frame, whereas you haven't and yet you still have an opinion.
Your logic gets worse every day ...

I did not claim experience of riding such a bike. I merely pointed out some deficiencies in their design, which some audaxers will find a problem.

How does your experience show you that I am wrong about clearances and rack fittings?

I know you are usually 2 hours ahead of the field, but surely you have noticed that many riders like to use full guards, chunky tyres and racks. Why would I need to ride a carbon bike to realise this?

I'm actually quite interested in the option of using a carbon frame, and I value your experience of riding the things. Have you ever considered the opinions of other riders as anything other than worthless?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #36 on: 24 September, 2010, 12:02:16 pm »
Ooh, this'll be a fun game.

Have you ridden a 1400+ on any kind of frame Matt?
Well yes, actually.

But that's not the point ...  ::-)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #37 on: 24 September, 2010, 01:08:23 pm »
*awaits trumping by Mille Miglia, Scottish Star, Calais-Brindisi, Trafalgar-Trafalgar or Grand Triangle riders*

On the MM there were at least 4 Brits on carbon bikes inc 2 x Roubaixs + a Cervelo. Many of the Italian & French riders were using them too of course. I'd previously used my Roubaix for few 300s + 400s but this was the first truly long ride and I'm pleased I chose it instead of my usual 725 Roberts. No mudguards were fitted or required and a seatpost mounted bag meant it was lighter and faster than my steel bike but still absorbed the road noise, and it was great to ride (even on day 3 & 4!). I intend to use it for PBP next year too. 

« Reply #38 on: 24 September, 2010, 01:16:05 pm »
Sorry mattc, you'll have to point out the bit in my posts where I say that only my experience counts.

... but at least I have some experience of what riding audax on a carbon bike entails. All you have to offer is your usual guff. Can't understand why you have to try and elevate everything to a row.

I couldn't care less whether you rode (and failed) 1200k PBP.

I'll be interested in your opinion on carbon bikes when you have actually ridden one

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #39 on: 24 September, 2010, 02:57:57 pm »
Can I answer, even though I'm not mattc? I've ridden brevets on steel bikes (solo and tandem), welded aluminium bikes (solo and tandem), bonded aluminium bikes and carbon fibre bikes. The steel bikes included spaceframes, monotube frames, diamond frames, dual suspension, small wheels, separable and folding frames. Distances up to 1600 km. Is that enough Audax experience to form an opinion about suitable bikes?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #40 on: 24 September, 2010, 03:09:47 pm »
No.  Do further more. ;)
Getting there...

citoyen

« Reply #41 on: 24 September, 2010, 03:18:58 pm »
Can I answer, even though I'm not mattc? I've ridden brevets on steel bikes (solo and tandem), welded aluminium bikes (solo and tandem), bonded aluminium bikes and carbon fibre bikes. The steel bikes included spaceframes, monotube frames, dual suspension, small wheels, separable and folding frames. Distances up to 1600 km. Is that enough Audax experience to form an opinion about suitable bikes?

n00b!

;)

d.

« Reply #42 on: 24 September, 2010, 03:21:44 pm »
Can I answer, even though I'm not mattc? I've ridden brevets on steel bikes (solo and tandem), welded aluminium bikes (solo and tandem), bonded aluminium bikes and carbon fibre bikes. The steel bikes included spaceframes, monotube frames, dual suspension, small wheels, separable and folding frames. Distances up to 1600 km. Is that enough Audax experience to form an opinion about suitable bikes?

Yes, as long you don't mind Mattc telling you that your opinion on whichever material is worthless, even though he has never ridden it  ;)

« Reply #43 on: 24 September, 2010, 03:27:40 pm »

No bamboo bike?

Pah.

You know knothing
<i>Marmite slave</i>

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #44 on: 24 September, 2010, 03:30:15 pm »
I've ridden wooden bikes, just not on brevets.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #45 on: 24 September, 2010, 03:31:23 pm »

Yes, as long you don't mind Mattc telling you that your opinion on whichever material is worthless, even though he has never ridden it  ;)

Or Flatus telling you that, unless you do things precisely the way he does, you're wrong! ;)
Getting there...

« Reply #46 on: 24 September, 2010, 03:38:01 pm »
You'll have to find some evidence for that, Clarion.

All I'm doing is providing some opinion based on experience to counter the myth that carbon bikes are no good for audax. Windbags like mattc put this stuff about and then get all huffy when you ask for evidence. I'll accept anyone's experience as valid, provided they have some.

I don't think you'll ever find me telling people what they should or shouldn't ride. But if you tell me that my steel bike is more suitable than my carbon, I'll tell you that you are wrong  ;)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #47 on: 24 September, 2010, 03:41:42 pm »
My steel bike is much more suitable than my er...er...er... other steel bikes ;)
Getting there...

citoyen

« Reply #48 on: 24 September, 2010, 03:42:27 pm »
Has anyone done an audax on a magnesium bike?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #49 on: 24 September, 2010, 03:44:30 pm »
I think they have.
Getting there...