Author Topic: Which is the best rechargeable front light in the UK for bikes?  (Read 6395 times)

AuraTodd

Which is the best rechargeable front light in the UK for bikes?
« on: 13 February, 2011, 03:04:20 pm »
Can you please recommend a rechargeable front light which is good for lighting up the road ahead? Not sure if I should go for Cat eye or Smart.

Looking to spend between £50-90 and ride round the city and the occasional country road and want to be seen by motorists, and the road ahead.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
Re: Which is the best rechargeable front light in the UK for bikes?
« Reply #1 on: 13 February, 2011, 03:11:17 pm »
Icon iq would be my recommendation. Very bright (not silly off-road bright though) and good battery life. There just happens to be in classified at the moment that might suit.

Handlebar or fork crown (optional bracket) mounting.

Good beam pattern.

People have noted that the hinge bracket and battery contacts need a little care when opening up the light.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #2 on: 13 February, 2011, 03:14:29 pm »
Can you please recommend a rechargeable front light which is good for lighting up the road ahead? Not sure if I should go for Cat eye or Smart.

Looking to spend between £50-90 and ride round the city and the occasional country road and want to be seen by motorists, and the road ahead.

I would strongly recommend getting a light that takes AA rechargeables, and then get a supply of NiMH rechargeables.  Have a charger at work as well as at home.  It gives the advantage that you can take spare batteries or buy them on route if you go for longer rides or tours.

The Hope Vision One gets good reviews, but my personal battery solution is a pair of Fenix torches like these:

Fenix LD20 R5 LED Torch | FenixTorch.co.uk

with twofish lockblock handlebar mounts.

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #3 on: 13 February, 2011, 03:29:53 pm »
In terms of value for money, it is hard to beat the Fenix.

Mine has done LEL, the mille Cymru plus regular commuting for more than three years and is still working. Unless I can find money for a dynamo set up, it will probably do PBP also!
Chief cat entertainer.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #4 on: 13 February, 2011, 03:38:40 pm »
I won't buy another Cateye front light - cheap plastic construction eventually falls apart.

More expensive than your budget, but I'm very pleased with an Exposure Joystick. Really well made, solid bracket, and I get about 3 hours on high. The battery isn't user-replaceable, but the circuitry copes much better than most AA NiCd lights (it switches to low output, rather than dying unexpectedly)

« Reply #5 on: 13 February, 2011, 03:50:43 pm »

I would strongly recommend getting a light that takes AA rechargeables, and then get a supply of NiMH rechargeables.  Have a charger at work as well as at home.  It gives the advantage that you can take spare batteries or buy them on route if you go for longer rides or tours.

The Hope Vision One gets good reviews, but my personal battery solution is a pair of Fenix torches like these:

Fenix LD20 R5 LED Torch | FenixTorch.co.uk

with twofish lockblock handlebar mounts.

I am also pleased with Fenix lights, though mine is a P3D  (probably now the P30) which uses lithium C cells.  These are expensive, though you can shop around and I have invested in a rechargeable pair and charger which came in a kit  from Photon.  I also use a twofish lockblock.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #6 on: 13 February, 2011, 03:57:35 pm »
I have recently upgraded to Ayups, but I still rate my Fenix  P3D  and LD20 very highly. The P3D is very noticeably brighter.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #7 on: 13 February, 2011, 06:32:37 pm »
would recommend ayups even if you don't need the brightness, they are great build quality and the big battery lasts at least its stated 6 hours but more importantly the degradation is minimal, mine still lasts at least 6 hours now, after 2 years. Non bulky. Good customer service.

simonp

« Reply #8 on: 13 February, 2011, 06:41:22 pm »
Philips LED Bike light. Non-dazzling beam, lights up the road very well, USB recharge connector. Best battery road light I've seen.

Wothill

• over the hills and far away
« Reply #9 on: 13 February, 2011, 08:46:25 pm »
There are three types of rechargeable light that I can think of and they each have pros and cons. Which is best for you depends on the type of riding you do.
Type 1 is those taking removable AA batteries. These have the advantage that you can put disposable batteries in from any corner shop if you run out of rechargeables unexpectedly. The disadvantage is that NiMH AA batteries are rather heavy and bulky for their electrical storage capacity. Many lights also use them 4 at a time (ie 4.8 Volts). The potential problem with this is that if one out the four is a bit dodgy (holds its charge less well) you end up with reduced voltage and the dodgy one is quickly knackered.
Type 2 is those that have non-removable rechargeable batteries. These are usually lithium ion but there are some that are NiMH. Advantage is that you get a lot of charge per weight and size if its lithium ion. Disadvantages are that spare battery packs tend to be expensive and without one, you may live in fear of running out of juice depending on what riding you do.
Type 3 takes replaceable lithium ion batteries. These suit me best because you buy enough to see you through your longest foreseeable ride, they cost very little more than NiMH. Disadvantage is that you can't top up at a corner shop if you get it wrong.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #10 on: 13 February, 2011, 08:48:59 pm »
I'd like to stick with Cateye, as all my fleet have Cateye brackets fitted, and I can then switch the light from one bike to another easily.

BUT the co-ax wire between battery unit and light has a bayonet-style connector, allowing the battery to be de-velcro'ed from the bike and taken in for recharge.  This cable (between battery and connector) has already failed, and been replaced.  (The wire had to be held in a particular position to allow electrons through.)  NOW the wire between connector and light is showing the same symptoms - and I can't replace it, as it has an embedded switch.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Steve Kish

• World's No. 1 moaner about the weather.
« Reply #11 on: 13 February, 2011, 10:06:36 pm »
Ay Ups were part of my research but although I ended up getting something else, I must admit that for a reasonable light output, these are very neat and small.
Old enough to know better!

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #12 on: 13 February, 2011, 10:19:03 pm »
I liked my Ixon but the brackets were shit and it fell off and shattered on the cobbles. So I sold the other one to Clarion. Now I have two Fenixes.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #13 on: 13 February, 2011, 10:35:27 pm »
Lights can give either a shaped beam or a simple torch beam. A shaped beam will put at least twice as much light on the road as a torch beam of equivalent power.

Shaped beam lights of moderate price (£20-£100) are the B+M Ixon IQ (20€ less without batteries/charger) or the Philips. The Ixon does 5h high, 20h low; low is good for lit areas but you'll probably want high for country lanes. The Philips does 2h high, 8h low, with low being good enough for most riding, and high being as good as you'll get without spending loadsamoney.

Simple torch beam lights to consider are the Hope Vision 1, the Magicshine (also $80 from dealextreme in Hong Kong, but takes up to a month to arrive), and torches like the Fenix LD20 or PD30. The Magicshine is the brightest simple torch beam light by some margin, but the Li-ion battery means if it runs out there's no option to just get another set from a garage (though spare batteries are available).

I'm a dynamo person mostly, with an LD20 as backup and a Hope for the work bike. Buying battery, I'd go Ixon IQ for town commuting with occasional countryside use, Philips for regular country lane use.

Batteries:
AA: Ixon, Philips, Fenix LD20, Hope
Either NiMh rechargeable, ordinary alkaline (Duracell) disposable, or lithium disposable. Alkaline don't do well in bright lights, lithium perform a bit better than NiMh but are relatively expensive (good as the spares you keep in your bag for emergencies)
Cr123 (3.6V disposable lithium): Fenix PD30 and similar torches. A reasonable price on bulk internet order, but expensive camera batteries on the high street. There is a Li-ion rechargeable version but runtime is only about 60% that of the disposable.
Lithium Ion rechargeable: Magicshine, assorted [urlhttp://www.dealextreme.com/p/ultrafire-wf-502b-ssc-p7-csxo-3-mode-900-lumen-memory-led-flashlight-with-clip-1-18650-1-17670-36357]dealextreme torches[/url], most expensive rechargeable lights. These give most power for the weight/size. Mains charging only: no emergency garage resupply. They can catch fire when charging, so if buying cheap ones put them in an old saucepan whilst charging, just in case.

« Reply #14 on: 13 February, 2011, 10:35:58 pm »
There is no decent front light at that price.
You get what you pay for.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #15 on: 13 February, 2011, 10:37:52 pm »
Does this thread demonstrate the triumph of Hope over Exposure?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

simonp

« Reply #16 on: 13 February, 2011, 11:37:11 pm »
There is no decent front light at that price.
You get what you pay for.

The Philips is advertised for as little as £90 and is a very good, road legal, glare free front light. I paid a little more to have it quicker.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #17 on: 13 February, 2011, 11:57:34 pm »
Postie had a new torch the other night that had two power settings plus a beam focus setting. It looked like a Fenix but I think it was another make.

A pretty good beam.

H

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #18 on: 13 February, 2011, 11:58:31 pm »
If you're looking to ride round the city and be seen, with the occasional country ride thrown in, I wouldn't recommend the Fenix.  I've got one (an LD20) and it's fantastic for riding round the country, but it has no side spill at all, so once you get beyond its beam of light, you may as well not be lit up at all.  My town light is now a Smart BSpoke 1W LED which I picked up from Wiggle for £13.50, though the cheapest you can now get it is £20.  Its beam is actually narrower than the Fenix, but it spills a bit of light out to nearly 180 degrees so I reckon it's safer for town use. 

If you've got £50-90 to spend, I recommend you buy one of each.  That's now my lighting setup and I'm very happy with it: a Smart for town use, as a backup on audaxes and for when I'm riding in a group on nocturnal training rides, plus the Fenix for main audaxing use and for when I hit the front of the group when out training.  That'll cost you a total of about £60, for another £12.50 you can throw in one of these headtorches which will increase visibility and be very useful when you're unfortunate to puncture at night.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #19 on: 14 February, 2011, 01:37:51 am »
I'd suggest the Smart 35 Lux (2W) instead of the BSpoke 1W.  Its beam is slightly wider as well as brighter.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #20 on: 14 February, 2011, 02:03:28 am »
I liked my Ixon but the brackets were shit and it fell off and shattered on the cobbles.

BTDT    >:(

The only Ixon bracket I actually trust is the 475D/492GAPB fork crown bracket.  This is a Cyo-style piece of bent wire bolted (with a nylock nut) to a single moulded lump of plastic, and the only likely failure mode is the latch releasing the light under some sort of impact.

The handlebar brackets and the original plasticy fork crown bracket all have a single point of failure in a self-untapping screw, screwed into softish plastic.  I also never really trusted the clamping action of the handlebar brackets, though they do seem to work okay if you can get them done up tight enough.

The naff brackets, combined with the battery contact problems, let down an otherwise excellent light.

(Don't suppose you've still got the shattered remains, and they include an intact rear battery spring, do you Kirst?)

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #21 on: 14 February, 2011, 07:15:38 am »
Looking to spend between £50-90 and ride round the city and the occasional country road

I've been using an Ixon IQ for exactly that purpose for over a year and have been very pleased with it.  My regular commute includes stretches of cobbles, badly potholed roads and unlit canal towpath.  Touch wood I've not had any of the bracket problems experienced by Kirst.  However I imagine that in terms of technology its probably getting on a bit.
Aero but not dynamic

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #22 on: 14 February, 2011, 07:32:20 pm »

(Don't suppose you've still got the shattered remains, and they include an intact rear battery spring, do you Kirst?)
No  ;D . When I say shattered I mean a thousand pieces all over the road. I wasn't about to stop and try to collect it all in the dark and traffic.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23 on: 14 February, 2011, 09:52:05 pm »
Oh well.  Would be silly not to ask.  I made a replacement out of a bit of cake tin, but it lacks the springiness of the original.  B&M were unhelpful when I emailed them.

« Reply #24 on: 16 February, 2011, 10:34:16 am »
The only Ixon bracket I actually trust is the 475D/492GAPB fork crown bracket.  This is a Cyo-style piece of bent wire bolted (with a nylock nut) to a single moulded lump of plastic, and the only likely failure mode is the latch releasing the light under some sort of impact.

Did you buy that from the link there or is there a UK supplier?