Author Topic: What is the best cycling water proof  (Read 6472 times)

What is the best cycling water proof
« on: 03 October, 2013, 02:56:24 pm »
This subject is a mine field.

I dont know whether to spend £200 or £50. At the moment I make do with a Aldi £20 special.

I could stretch to the £200 as xmas is coming up. I have seen the Gore stuff which gets good reviews or the rohan. But is it necessary to spend this much?

I dont like sweating in one, so it must be breathable and actually waterproof. Any recomendations as I dont want to spend aload of cash for something that is crap!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: What is the best cycling water proof
« Reply #1 on: 03 October, 2013, 03:04:27 pm »
What kind of cycling?

What works for a 20 minute commute isn't necessarily the best for a 200k audax, which might not be the same as what's best for a multi-week tour.

My take is that if you're cycling in it for more than an hour or two (regardless of whether it's actually raining), you're going to end up wet.  Keeping you warm is more important than keeping you dry.  Therefore in summer waterproofs are largely redundant.  In winter, it's about preventing the water evaporating.  Breathability, while not a myth exactly, is rarely adequate.

Given £200 to spend on wet-weather cycling gear, I'd spend £50 on an Altura-level jacket (not breathable, but reasonable ventilation) and the rest on merino and quick-drying lycra.  YMMV.

Speshact

• Charlie
« Reply #2 on: 03 October, 2013, 03:07:18 pm »
£30 does it for breathable and waterproof. http://www.carradice.co.uk/index.php?page_id=product&product_id=66

LEE

« Reply #3 on: 03 October, 2013, 03:21:20 pm »
This subject is a mine field.
I dont like sweating in one, so it must be breathable and actually waterproof.

Breathable jackets don't stop you sweating.

Try to remember how sweaty you can get in a regular poly/cotton jersey when it's warm.  Now imagine replacing that most breathable of jerseys with a plastic tent.

My Montane eVent jacket (Storm-Rider I think) is as good as I've found...but I sweat...ergo I get wet.

Regular DWR treatment (Nikwax Tech wash for example) is essential.  If your jacket stops beading water and gets wet...then it just stopped breathing altogether. 

So well "proofed" eVent gets my vote (it works differently to Gore text I believe).

Edit.  With ventilation zips in as many places as possible.  The Storm-Rider is great for that.

For summer rain consider a goretex/eVent gilet and lycra arm-warmers.

Furious

• Pedal Head
    • Rijidij.net
« Reply #4 on: 03 October, 2013, 03:51:45 pm »
The best (and most expensive) waterproof garments will have the breathable membrane bonded to the outer layer. Inner layers are there for wearer warmth/comfort.
If the *-Tex layer is next to the skin, quite often you will "feel" wet due to the cooling effect of evaporation on the outside of the layer. And of course, you will be cold.

Your waterproof garments should also be washed regularly. Dirt and road grime will block the pores and reduce the breathability. The dirt can also actually draw water in by capillary action - like millions of tiny wicks.
Products like Nikwax are great, but you can use normal washing powder (I prefer to use Soap Flakes).
Do not use fabric conditioner, as it can destroy the waterproofing of your garment.

Wer sein Fahrrad liebt, der schiebt.
He who loves his bike, will push it.

« Reply #5 on: 03 October, 2013, 03:54:01 pm »
Skin = Waterproof ,breathable and need no special cleaning agents

OK I'll get me coat....but which one ??

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #6 on: 03 October, 2013, 03:56:06 pm »
Skin = Waterproof ,breathable and need no special cleaning agents

OK I'll get me coat....but which one ??

The one made of skin! ;)

« Reply #7 on: 03 October, 2013, 03:57:32 pm »
I cycle generally for an hour and half, mostly in the evening. Work gets in the way. But I have just started audaxing so need some tips for a decent jacket.

Are capes any cop? As my Dad used them when I was a kid, but he says a good jacket is much better?

See what I mean a minefield. I will bear in mind the montaine, as not as dear as 200squid and gets good reviews. So thanks.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #8 on: 03 October, 2013, 03:59:52 pm »
http://audaxing.wordpress.com/2013/05/30/all-the-coats-ive-ever-used/

executive summary: Paramo make really good coats

anyone know product development people at Berghaus?  I want to try out a Hypersmock

LEE

« Reply #9 on: 03 October, 2013, 04:03:19 pm »
http://audaxing.wordpress.com/2013/05/30/all-the-coats-ive-ever-used/

executive summary: Paramo make really good coats

anyone know product development people at Berghaus?  I want to try out a Hypersmock

We agree about the Montaine jackets I see:

Featherlite - Shite. Actually I think it's a dangerous jacket because you could take it out in cold/wet conditions thinking it may stop the rain pissing through better than a strong vest.  It's a windproof at best.

Some people say it's waterproof.  I don't see how it's possible unless something fundamental changed.

Stormrider - Good.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 03 October, 2013, 04:06:26 pm »
Are capes any cop? As my Dad used them when I was a kid, but he says a good jacket is much better?

Depends on how much of a problem wearing a sail is going to be, I suppose.

« Reply #11 on: 03 October, 2013, 04:10:32 pm »

Featherlite - Shite. Actually I think it's a dangerous jacket because you could take it out in cold/wet conditions thinking it may stop the rain pissing through better than a strong vest.  It's a windproof at best.

Some people say it's waterproof.  I don't see how it's possible unless something fundamental changed.

You see, I disagree. I think the featherlite is great.

Why?
Because it packs up so small I always carry one in a jersey pocket. So it is always with me for those times when I'm caught out in freezing rain and wind. On it goes, over my wet clothes. Water still seeps through, but no longer at a chilling rate and the wind is blocked. I'm warm again.

That's much better than a jacket that takes up so much of my saddlebag that I never carry it, or a jacket that costs so much my wallet starts hyperventilating at the thought of damage and replacement cost.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #12 on: 03 October, 2013, 04:16:51 pm »
I have 2 excellent waterproof jackets, a lightweight Rapha one for summer or warmer wet weather and a Paramo Adventure Light that I use in winter.

They are both very good waterproofs and less sweaty than most. The Paramo has zips up the sides you can open from the top or bottom of the side seam for ventilation. It has a wire peaked hood that can be great in really heavy rain. It will actually go over or under a helmet if you wear one. The Paramo is the driest of the 2, but it's a little too warm to use in the Spring Summer and Autumn unless it is cold at night. I've ridden a 200k where it rained biblically all day one February and the Paramo kept me bone dry, non sweaty and warm.

The Rapha summer weight waterproof is lovely with an excellent membrane lining it. It packs down nice and small too, and will fit in a jersey pocket. It seems expensive for the weight of it, but you do get what you pay for with these things I have found. I was less impressed with my Gore Oxygen jacket that is less breathable and less waterproof!

Montane featherlights are good wind proofs for descents, but for a really wet day forget it. The only advantage is the tiny pack size.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #13 on: 03 October, 2013, 05:17:50 pm »
I have a Lidl or Aldi copy of a Montane Featherlite. Little single-skinned flo yo thing that packs up into its own pocket. TBF I think it was only ever described as shower resistant but I have worn it in heavy, cold rain and it's a lot better than nothing, especially after I treated it with some wash-in Nikwax type stuff. It also is wonderfully breathable, as you would expect from something so flimsy! The zip is a bit dodgy now but I got 2 years' use out of it for only £8. One thing I've never liked about it is the elasticated cuffs, it's not so much that they're uncomfy but the rain rolls down the sleeves soaks your gloves, also they make it a bit more fiddly than need be to get on and off. NeilV's wife has one and seems to do ok with it.

But in the end I decided I needed something more waterproof and a bit more solid for winter, so I got the Rohan waterproof (Stormrider or something) on the recommendation of someone I know. The list price is about £195 which is probably ott but they have sales quite often. It's great! So far seems totally waterproof and more breathable than any other waterproof I've tried. I especially like the orange colour being bright but not garish, in contrast to say the Altura Night Vision garments. My only criticisms are that the zip puller can make a tapping noise against the jacket, especially when honking, which at first you can think is something about to break on the bike! and that the reflective strips on the back being red rather than white may be logical but is also pointless and reduces the nocturnal visibility.

But IMO even the Alidli cheapie montane-alike is more comfortable to wear than a standard 'outdoors' coat, which will tend to be waterproof but too heavy and the wrong shape, with pockets in places that dig into to your ribs.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

LEE

« Reply #14 on: 03 October, 2013, 06:26:13 pm »
I'm very tempted to get the Rapha Windproof jacket as a rear-pocket emergency jacket.  It sounds as water-resistant as I'd need for such a garment.

I've seen reviews that say they go for a ride just as an excuse to wear such a superb bit of kit.

Yes...it's more expensive than the Montaine Featherlite....by an order of magnitude.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #15 on: 03 October, 2013, 08:42:35 pm »
As others have said, it depends on what kind of riding you do.

I have a Gore Oxygen, and I rate it highly.   It's one of the bits of kit I would want to replace like-for-like.   It's not cheap, but it's waterproof, windproof, breathable enough for me, and small enough to pack into a jersey pocket.

« Reply #16 on: 03 October, 2013, 09:04:34 pm »
I must say I do support the cape proposal set out above. They just work when it is hissing down, keep you warm, vented and dry.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #17 on: 07 October, 2013, 09:26:55 am »
After some deliberation and some scanning on the interweb, i will be going for the paramo & will wait until the sales in early Jan.

The reasons, you can order from Go Outdoors & they are reasonabably priced, and also there wasnt one bad review. Plus I reckon I wont have to shell out 200squid & am hoping for about £130'ish?

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #18 on: 07 October, 2013, 01:43:18 pm »
After some deliberation and some scanning on the interweb, i will be going for the paramo & will wait until the sales in early Jan.

The reasons, you can order from Go Outdoors & they are reasonabably priced, and also there wasnt one bad review. Plus I reckon I wont have to shell out 200squid & am hoping for about £130'ish?

The only place I have ever seen paramo velez light for that sort of price is on the paramo "seconds" shop on ebay

The "seconds" are usually "used once in a photoshoot" rather than missing a button or something

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/paramoseconds

« Reply #19 on: 13 October, 2013, 02:31:38 pm »
As previous replies have mentioned it rather depends on the type of riding you do, I personally swear by my Endura gridlock, wear it most early mornings/late nights for the commute and has withstood torrential downpours over Dartmoor on 100k rides with no problems. bit warm for the summer tho.
are we nearly there yet?

« Reply #20 on: 13 October, 2013, 02:40:09 pm »
Lightweight paclite style jackets are great for longer rides. They can keep you warm at night in summer, and add a waterproofish layer to winter jerseys and jackets.

For commuting, I don't care so much. I'm going to have a hot shower at the end, so I don't care if I get a bit sweaty. For deluges I have this Karri or Fire jacket that looks like its made of rubber. Waterproof but you can end up just as wet on the inside if you aren't careful

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #21 on: 13 October, 2013, 06:15:03 pm »
I assume Paul/Lee is talking about Montane Pertex jackets here (and the Featherlite is not the only such item):

You see, I disagree. I think the featherlite is great.

Why?
Because it packs up so small I always carry one in a jersey pocket. So it is always with me for those times when I'm caught out in freezing rain and wind. On it goes, over my wet clothes. Water still seeps through, but no longer at a chilling rate and the wind is blocked. I'm warm again.

That's much better than a jacket that takes up so much of my saddlebag that I never carry it, or a jacket that costs so much my wallet starts hyperventilating at the thought of damage and replacement cost.
I'm more with MrCharly - I can carry a pertex jacket AND a spare L/S jersey in the same space as a bulky Gore-tex jacket. => more layer options.

I also think the Montane range vary hugely. They've used several flavours of Pertex over the years (current site mentions "microlight" and "quantum GL". And "microlight cross rip-stop". Perhaps more .... ) I've had no problems with mine (until they get to about 5 years old, and covered with bike oil) - but The InterWeb suggests they may have had QC problems with seams; i reckon this could be what's led to such widely varying reviews.

n.b. you have to wear a layer between your skin and Pertex - if not it will wet straight thru. You can probably ruin everything if wearing a nasty non-wicking layer. (Arguably if it's warm enough to wear just a layer of Pertex, getting wet won't be a major disaster) I suspect that layering 'windproof' garments also screws the wicking/breathing process.

So while they're available for around £40, I'm sticking with Pertex. For now ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #22 on: 13 October, 2013, 07:14:34 pm »
Partner bought an Altura Mayhem jacket for £80 from a shop in Bristol a few weeks ago.

One stud securing the hood was not properly fixed but we're not returning it as we're not in Bristol and he needs a 'waterproof' jacket NOW.
Posting the jacket back would be very awkward.

David was out in Wet Rain yesterday and got wet.
Items in the pockets were soaked.
His shirt got wet too.

We are very disappointed.

« Reply #23 on: 13 October, 2013, 10:34:21 pm »
+1 for the Montaine Stormrider. Apparently they were just too expensive to make and keep the price below £200.
I bought a blue one at York rally  in 2011 for £50 and then another fluo yellow one for £85 as I thought it would be better for dark stormy days and nights.
Went through the wet night on PBP without any probs.
MrsM likes E-vent as well.
Active Gore-Tex is apparently the one to go for if you think Gore is better.

Only current jacket I like is the Endura Helium which can be found at around £85.

« Reply #24 on: 14 October, 2013, 12:14:15 pm »
I assume Paul/Lee is talking about Montane Pertex jackets here (and the Featherlite is not the only such item):
n.b. you have to wear a layer between your skin and Pertex - if not it will wet straight thru. You can probably ruin everything if wearing a nasty non-wicking layer. (Arguably if it's warm enough to wear just a layer of Pertex, getting wet won't be a major disaster) ...
Absolutely.

I've stayed dry & warm in a thermal long-sleeved base layer, a light fleece, & a Pertex jacket (sold as windproof, not waterproof) in steady, persistent rain a few degrees above zero. The rain beads & runs off the Pertex to start with, but eventually wets it. But with the proper stuff underneath it never soaks through. The surface of the fleece can feel damp when I take off the jacket, but it's dry inside. The greater the temperature differential between inside & outside, the better it works.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897