Author Topic: Brompton Tyres  (Read 6401 times)

Brompton Tyres
« on: 09 April, 2008, 12:40:13 am »
I was still running the Brompton Kevlar tyres (green label) but last week as I wandered through Liverpool Street station I noticed the bike was bumping under me.  The tyre was damaged.

It was a very tentative ride to the office, back to the station, and then home  :-\ :-\

When I took the tyre off I found the threads seemed as though they had delaminated from the rubber (will get a photo next time the camera is in the garage).  Has anybody else seen this?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Brompton Tyres
« Reply #1 on: 09 April, 2008, 03:30:16 am »
The casings offer very low rolling resistance (virtually identical to the Primo casing) and are accordingly not bomb-proof.  I've had a couple of my Yellow label (too much rolling resistance in the Green and not much more puncture protection IMHO) go the same way, same as with some of my lightweight 700C tyres.  I still prefer the Brompton tyres to the alternatives.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2 on: 09 April, 2008, 05:59:16 am »
I'm now using some Schwalbe/Swallow tyres on my Brompton. I feel no difference in handling to the original tyres.

« Reply #3 on: 09 April, 2008, 09:51:22 am »
I tried the Brompton Kevlars, and they are light, but they just didn't survive.  I've gone back to the Schwalbe Marathons, which have continued to be more or less bomb proof.

That's a very unhappy looking tyre, and sounds like an odd failure mode.
Actually, it is rocket science.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #4 on: 09 April, 2008, 09:55:50 am »
I've gone back to the Schwalbe Marathons, which have continued to be more or less bomb proof.

Like riding through treacle to me but tastes differ.  The Stelvios roll well (but no better than a Brompton yellow label) but drop the gearing a little (smaller overall diameter) and are a bit delicate.

border-rider

« Reply #5 on: 09 April, 2008, 09:58:59 am »
I must admit, I've used the Brommie Green tyres and find them robust and fast-rolling.  But then they replaced the original gummy Raleigh tyres that were slow, heavy and delicate

« Reply #6 on: 09 April, 2008, 10:00:45 am »
I'll admit the Schwalbes aren't as easy to cycle as the Bromptons (Kevlar or non-Kevlar), but I also find having to stop in the rain, in the dark, to change a rear puncture (always fun on a Brompton!) to have a definite effect on my cycling speed as well!  I just found them way too prone to punctures, but maybe I cycle on more glass and other debris strewn routes than you.

(I find the Armadillos on my road bike to be even more bomb proof than the Schwalbe Marathons, but as far as I know there aren't any Armadillos that'll fit a Brompton).
Actually, it is rocket science.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: 09 April, 2008, 10:10:51 am »
Hi-jacking your thread for a moment, as a new Brompton owner, can I ask...  How easy is it to get the green tyres off the rim if I have a you-know-what?  I've heard tell that small tyres are the Devil's own job to unmount.

I'm carrying a spare tube, tools and tyre levers, but will they actually do me any good?.  I've not even looked up how to get the back wheel out, either.  What's the drill?
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

border-rider

« Reply #8 on: 09 April, 2008, 10:14:09 am »
Tyres on/off is OK.

You do need to have a go at back wheel removal though.  Not too difficult, but not intuitive the first time  - and you don't want that first time to be at the side of the road, really you don't

The wheel itself comes out the usual way.  The issue is managing the chain tensioner.  And if you're a hub brake virgin, managing the gear cable.  Mine has an SA 3 speed; I suspect the Sachs ones are a bit more sensible.

« Reply #9 on: 09 April, 2008, 10:20:40 am »
What  Mal says, with all the Brommie tyres I've used. I'm not a natural mechanic but managed to re-fit the rear wheel ok, if a little slowly. Mind you, I always made sure I had the manual with me on rides. It isn't intuitive, particularly the chain tensioner bit

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #10 on: 09 April, 2008, 10:22:19 am »
How easy is it to get the green tyres off the rim if I have a you-know-what? <SNIP>

I'm carrying a spare tube, tools and tyre levers, but will they actually do me any good?.  I've not even looked up how to get the back wheel out, either.  What's the drill?

Channel-section rims make it quite easy to remove the tyre, provided you make sure virtually all of it is sitting in the well.

Removing the back wheel requires a 15 mm spanner and some patience but it isn't difficult.  The snug-tight nut holding on the tensioner can split the plastic if over-tightened.  There are several washers that shouldn't be lost or the order changed.

« Reply #11 on: 09 April, 2008, 10:28:09 am »
... How easy is it to get the green tyres off the rim if I have a you-know-what?  I've heard tell that small tyres are the Devil's own job to unmount.

I removed the tyres without needing levers.

...  I've not even looked up how to get the back wheel out, either.  What's the drill?

From memory:

Left hand side is a case of undo axle nut (15mm spanner) take off washer.  Take off retaining tab (washer with a tab that goes into the frame to stop wheel falling out).

Right hand side is undo 3 speed hub cable (mine has a quick release on the adjusting cable).  Take off hollow gear cable nut, washer, let 2 speed dérailleur ping off, then follow left hand side instructions.

It really is easy.

I did mine for the first time ever in the pouring rain in a filthy litter strewn graffitti covered slum on the outskirts of a French town.   I was grateful that I was carrying a spare tube so didn't need to patch.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: 09 June, 2010, 08:04:22 am »
Thread resurrection to ask a BWC related question:

What's the tyre of choice for going like stink on a Brommie?  SJS are selling Schwalbe Kojaks at £13.99 a pop which seems quite reasonable.

Given I'd usually go with Marathons at £13.99, Stelvios are nearly double the price - are they even remotely worth it?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #13 on: 09 June, 2010, 08:06:34 am »
Stelvios lower your gearing noticeably. Kojaks are worthwhile. Marathons are like running in gumboots.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #14 on: 09 June, 2010, 06:11:17 pm »
Kojak folding weigh as much as an astronaut's fart and are £25 each.

Stelvios are no longer made in that size, but I might have some lightly used ones in the garage  ;)
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

border-rider

« Reply #15 on: 10 June, 2010, 12:10:07 am »
Cos of the small wheel size, tyre weight isn't that much of an issue onna Brommie.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: 10 June, 2010, 12:29:25 am »
I ordered non folding Kokaks in the end.  They seem a good compromise, I hope.