Author Topic: URGENT! Flying with Brompton in the hold - deflate tyres?  (Read 6396 times)

URGENT! Flying with Brompton in the hold - deflate tyres?
« on: 08 March, 2015, 09:38:11 pm »
Hi
I might fly with my Brompton tomorrow and I suddenly wondered if I need to deflate the tyres (they're a fag to pump with the little pump) .... I think not, but better check!
Cheers
FF

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: URGENT! Flying with Brompton in the hold - deflate tyres?
« Reply #1 on: 08 March, 2015, 09:40:28 pm »
I never do with my Brompton or any of my other bikes. Many airlines no longer require deflated tyres.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 08 March, 2015, 09:43:20 pm »
The physics answer is 'no': Atmospheric pressure is all of about 14-15PSI, so unless they're already seriously overinflated, you could reasonably expect to expose the tyres to hard vacuum without anything untoward happening.

The practical answer is that it's extremely unlikely that everyone who will handle the bike from check-in to collection will have a working knowledge of the relevant physics.  So prepare for them to either ask you to deflate the tyres, or for them to be deflated on arrival.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3 on: 08 March, 2015, 09:48:45 pm »
Deflation in transit is very rare (once in over 20 years of flying with bikes). As I noted, many airlines no longer require tyre deflation, British Airways for one.

« Reply #4 on: 08 March, 2015, 09:49:57 pm »
Aircraft holds are pressurised same as cabin pressure.  No need to deflate.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #5 on: 08 March, 2015, 09:50:38 pm »
I had it happen a while back. Kim, as ever, has the physics spot on. Unfortunately too many are scientifically illiterate.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 08 March, 2015, 09:55:25 pm »
Presumably CO2 cartridges are verboten on planes for much the same reason...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7 on: 08 March, 2015, 10:01:00 pm »

Yup!

« Reply #8 on: 08 March, 2015, 10:02:05 pm »
I've flown with a bike multiple times & have always been asked at check in if my tyres were deflated, even on BA.   I usually let enough out so they are soft to the touch but don't need to be pumped up from flat.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 08 March, 2015, 10:05:48 pm »
Probably worth bringing a decent pump, then.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #10 on: 08 March, 2015, 10:07:20 pm »
My reply is always "Yes, my tyres are fine."

« Reply #11 on: 08 March, 2015, 10:14:55 pm »
Thanks, It's in a Bike Pod 'Suitcase' so I was going to check it as normal hold luggage, am assuming that's OK (am on BA).
Do I need to put it via the 'special handling' bit like Skis and surfboards?

« Reply #12 on: 08 March, 2015, 10:49:58 pm »
Do I need to put it via the 'special handling' bit like Skis and surfboards?

Depends on policy of carrier.

I know someone who took an Airnimal to Mallorca in a normal suitcase as hold luggage, but because it was a bike they said it must go as a bicycle, even though it was not oversize!

Suggest you phone and check as website may not consider a bicycle in luggage suitable as hold luggage.

« Reply #13 on: 09 March, 2015, 12:42:54 am »

Actually I was allowed to bring a fistful of CO2 cartridges the last time I took a bicycle on a British Airways flight (and yes, they knew I had them). On that journey BA staff in Denver required me to deflate the tires, while BA staff in Gatwick, Pisa and Heathrow took a few minutes to check the rules and let me leave the tires inflated.

Regardless of what position they've taken on inflated/deflated tires, BA staff have always taken good care of my bicycle.

The BA website spells out their bicycle policies much more clearly than many airlines, and their bicycle policies are more reasonable than most airlines, IME.

« Reply #14 on: 09 March, 2015, 10:50:58 am »
Whilst agreeing with comments about there being no need to deflate tyres in theory, my advise is to do so, following my experience when flying from Bournemouth to Pisa. The check-in staff accepted my bike in a CTC plastic bag with tyres fully inflated.  Upon collection at Pisa I found  very neat puncture slits (screwdriver or pen knife sized) in each tyre side wall. I assume that some kind baggage handler at Bournemouth Airport isn't a keen cyclist !!!!
I hold baggage handlers in as much esteem as politicians, bankers, estate agents and Mr. Clarkson.

« Reply #15 on: 09 March, 2015, 03:59:16 pm »
Well it's in the hold and we're about to go for lift off ....

« Reply #16 on: 09 March, 2015, 04:04:57 pm »

Errr..... Shouldn't that be take off?
Or have you opted for a different sort of craft?  ;)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17 on: 09 March, 2015, 05:53:12 pm »
Is this my fault for mentioning hard vacuum?

Thinking about it, a Brompton ought to be a fair bit quicker on the moon, as the abysmal aerodynamics won't be an issue.  Not sure how well the 16" wheels cope with impact craters and lunar regolith, but it can't be worse than the average Sustrans path...

« Reply #18 on: 09 March, 2015, 07:49:37 pm »

Errr..... Shouldn't that be take off?
Or have you opted for a different sort of craft?  ;)
Ha!  Well we definitely lifted off the ground  :thumbsup:  Later I deplaned ....

The case at least has arrived in one piece .... I've not opened it up yet on account of arriving fairly late at the hotel where the food is quite exceptional ... so I've hit the Stube and the restaurant pronto.  One of the best restaurants I've ever eaten in in fact .... 

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #19 on: 11 March, 2015, 06:56:58 pm »
Is this my fault for mentioning hard vacuum?

Thinking about it, a Brompton ought to be a fair bit quicker on the moon, as the abysmal aerodynamics won't be an issue.  Not sure how well the 16" wheels cope with impact craters and lunar regolith, but it can't be worse than the average Sustrans path...
I suspect the reduced weight of the rider will give rather soft rear suspension.  The impact will be the same when you hit one of those big lumps of green cheese and the bike bucks under you (your mass doesn't change), but there won't be enough pre-load.  The bike might even chatter a bit as the rear triangle loses contact with the main frame.

On the bright side, carrying it up escalators should be a breeze and the step-through frame avoids the embarrassment of trying to get your leg over in a spacesuit.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #20 on: 11 March, 2015, 08:03:23 pm »
30 miles loop along the Rhine this evening ... and a 16 miler yesterday.  What a fab thing a Brompton is.  Don't know where I'm taking her next week yet though ....

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #21 on: 11 March, 2015, 08:13:16 pm »
The physics answer is 'no': Atmospheric pressure is all of about 14-15PSI, so unless they're already seriously overinflated, you could reasonably expect to expose the tyres to hard vacuum without anything untoward happening.

Does the airline insist on deflating the aircraft's tyres, too?  ::-)

I think that's something for the Mythbusters to demonstrate.
Quote from: Morningsider
I like that you think any of your conveyances might qualify as "a disguise".

« Reply #22 on: 11 March, 2015, 09:13:04 pm »
Does the airline insist on deflating the aircraft's tyres, too?  ::-)

No, because they're 'soft' anyway.  They do calculate the maximum pressure at sea level to prevent explosions when cruising at 30000ft.  And if you really want some technical investigation of what challenges can arise, then how about the tyres on an aircraft that cruises at 70000ft such as the U-2.

I think the original question asked about 'hard' tyres and whether they required deflating to become 'soft' tyres.

I recall a fun day in Mallorca listening to quite a few inner tubes exploding in Muro while having coffee as the riders had left their 140psi inflated tyres in the sun.  Same principle, air can expand at an alarming rate, be it in heat or relative vacuum.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #23 on: 19 March, 2015, 12:21:02 pm »

Yup!
Except there is one under every seat.
Probably special aircraft quality ones
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #24 on: 19 March, 2015, 02:07:17 pm »
Which bit of the Rhine are you on FF? Anywhere near me?
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk