Author Topic: Winter cycling hardshell recommendations  (Read 6343 times)

Winter cycling hardshell recommendations
« on: 01 September, 2015, 11:07:41 pm »
I'm looking for a hard shell jacket that is very waterproof and windproof that I can layer up with in winter over a base layer and jersey.

Currently considering the endura equipe exo shell (which seems to have been discontinued, doesn't seem to have been replaced) and the Altura Vapour, which seems very well reviewed and very reasonably priced.

I do particularly like endurance clothing, I find their medium fits me really well - fitted, but not too tight and always with a decent bit of length at the rear.

Does anyone have experience of these jackets (or other similar jackets) and could comment on their suitability for winter 200s when wearing in both dry and wet conditions?
Up the hills and round the bends

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
Re: Winter cycling hardshell recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 02 September, 2015, 12:20:39 am »
You should consider the Castelli Gabba. I wore mine from October until April with either a thin Helly Hansen, a merino base layer, or either plus a thin long-sleeved jersey underneath. It's not waterproof but the coating resists showers and the material doesn't soak up water. they're very popular now (for good reason) and some people swear by them with only a baselayer all winter, but I preferred my old Assos Airblock on very cold days with no chance of rain

They're great value if you can get them at a discount or sale for around £140, go up one size from Endura.

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #2 on: 02 September, 2015, 08:53:39 am »
I recently bought the Altura Vapour at a good price from Merlin.  Hasn't had many outings in the rain but has proved waterproof and comfortable so far, it's very lightweight, close fitting and has some stretchiness which is nice and it also packs down nicely.  I've also got an Endura Flyte which is very comfortable and I've ridden in some pretty grim weather in this for long periods (including bank holiday monday AM :'( and this years Brevet Cymru :'(), it's very comfortable but it doesn't pack down very small and that's the reason I got the vapour.

I'm more than happy with the Flyte but if I was carrying lots of stuff and space was a premium I'd go Vapour.

« Reply #3 on: 03 September, 2015, 07:45:52 am »
I recently bought the Altura Vapour at a good price from Merlin.  Hasn't had many outings in the rain but has proved waterproof and comfortable so far, it's very lightweight, close fitting and has some stretchiness which is nice and it also packs down nicely.  I've also got an Endura Flyte which is very comfortable and I've ridden in some pretty grim weather in this for long periods (including bank holiday monday AM :'( and this years Brevet Cymru :'(), it's very comfortable but it doesn't pack down very small and that's the reason I got the vapour.

I'm more than happy with the Flyte but if I was carrying lots of stuff and space was a premium I'd go Vapour.

As with Jon B I`ve got both a Vapour jacket and a Flyte jacket (and others  ::-) ). Vapour jacket is very good, has a long scooped back, good rear pocket, decent length arms with good cuffs to go over gloves. It seems to be quite waterproof too (I can never really judge waterproofness as after a couple hours get wet anyway with sweat !!) and a good overall, slightly stretch fit---more of a racefit I`d say. Although reviews rave about it being so breathable I do find that it will get damp inside with sweat after a couple hours in the dry as a windjacket. But that`s case I find with any waterproof

The Flyte jacket is a much heavier and more robust jacket, more aimed at touring or MTB use and a more generous cut, very large rear cargo pocket, useful chest pocket (eg brevet card , route sheet). But it isn`t as good a fit as Vapour with fabric being stiffer. Breathability and waterproofness as Vapour I`d say but pack size large. But it feels bombproof  :thumbsup: which gives a level of secure feeling in bad weather.

On the `legendary` Brevet Cymru 2015 I started off on return trip wearing my Vapour jacket which was OK kept me warm and mostly dry; at deluge time after last control stop I put on Flyte jacket instead (note to oneself kitchen sink mentality must learn carry less  ::-))and continued into deluge for three hours. I was quite wet inside at finish, but also fabric of Flyte jacket was soaked through which made it quite cold. Whether Vapour jacket would have been better ??? BUT as it`s lighter fabric with a PU coating it wouldn`t have had the soaked fabric that Flyte with a laminate type fabric had.

Having invested in a few waterproof jackets though I have two conclusions 1. when new all seem great, the DWR works well and sheds water , but 2. after a while every jacket I`ve tried DWR wears out, performance decreases and no matter what I use to reproof it`s never as good as new.

Overall though I`d surmise that Vapour is probably about as good as they`ll get given all above caveats. BTW, I`ve not  found  Rapha to be any better.....
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #4 on: 04 September, 2015, 08:23:48 am »
Thanks for all the replies.  The vapour certainly sounds like it will fit the bill for what I'm looking for.

Currently I'm deciding on whether to go for something like the gabba too.  Also looking at the lusso aqua repel as a mostly waterproof softshell.

Trying to decide which will be most useful to me over the winter to buy first as I couldn't afford both right now!

« Reply #5 on: 04 September, 2015, 08:58:18 am »
I go multi layer and in the rain, I have a race cape from Gear Club which cost a tenner.
Not into the ‘one jacket does all’ thing. Unless someone fits a small air-con unit up its back.

« Reply #6 on: 08 September, 2015, 04:44:03 pm »
I've gone for the altura vapour, should arrive tomorrow and get a good testing on Sunday as the perm I have planned is looking like it's going to be a wet one.

Thanks for all the responses. :)

« Reply #7 on: 09 September, 2015, 03:32:50 pm »
I've gone for the altura vapour, should arrive tomorrow and get a good testing on Sunday as the perm I have planned is looking like it's going to be a wet one.

A good choice  :thumbsup: hope you don`t get TOO much of a testing in it though  ;D
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #8 on: 09 September, 2015, 04:22:53 pm »

A good choice  :thumbsup: hope you don`t get TOO much of a testing in it though  ;D

It arrived today, looks to be really good quality.  I really like the nice long tail and the fit is spot on.  Looking forward to seeing how it performs on the road.

Weather has cleared up a lot for Sunday so it may well be that the jacket stays in my back pocket!

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #9 on: 09 September, 2015, 05:24:11 pm »
Re. Castelli Gabba.
The Gabba isn't intended as a Winter waterproof and I'd never wear mine as one.

It's a perfect jersey for a cool/mild showery day (where it will mostly NOT be raining), nothing comes close to it in that respect, but it's not designed to go over much more than a base layer and you WILL get wet...then cold..in Winter. 
The Pro riders get around the hypothermia issue by generating 350 Watts.

The Gabba is a "It may rain, but it probably won't last more than 15 minutes, so I won't take my baggy Waterproof jacket" jersey.  Highly recommended for those conditions though.

Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #10 on: 09 March, 2016, 02:23:46 pm »
Ended up returning the altura vapour jacket after less than 6 months use due to it increasingly acting more like a sponge when encountering moisture.

It also took on an uneven appearance when wet after one wash.

On the plus side it looked nice and was pretty breathable and wind-proof.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #11 on: 09 March, 2016, 02:27:49 pm »

I am a big fan of Paramo for waterproofs. I have a Quito jacket for cycling in. Works really well and keeps out everything I've cycled in.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #12 on: 09 March, 2016, 02:31:25 pm »
Since I sweat loads I've had a long search for hardshell waterproof that doesn't leave me in a cold/sweaty mess.

I can't imagine I'll find the perfect solution but the best I've ever had is my Gore Bike Wear Oxygen 2.0 Gore-Tex Active Shell.

The fit is fantastic, no flapping, (it actually only fits well once you are leaned over a bike.. the sign of well designed bike wear) and has some really nice touches:

- A close fitting neck that is cut high at the back.  Very nice.
- Long wrist zips so you can wear thick winter gloves under the sleeves (or use them to vent your arms).
- Side vents.

Expensive but not over-priced.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #13 on: 09 March, 2016, 02:40:19 pm »
Since I sweat loads I've had a long search for hardshell waterproof that doesn't leave me in a cold/sweaty mess.

I can't imagine I'll find the perfect solution but the best I've ever had is my Gore Bike Wear Oxygen 2.0 Gore-Tex Active Shell.

The fit is fantastic, no flapping, (it actually only fits well once you are leaned over a bike.. the sign of well designed bike wear) and has some really nice touches:

- A close fitting neck that is cut high at the back.  Very nice.
- Long wrist zips so you can wear thick winter gloves under the sleeves (or use them to vent your arms).
- Side vents.

Expensive but not over-priced.

I have been looking at the oxygen 2.0 as a replacement, seen it recommended in a lot of places.  It may well be the replacement for the vapour.

For the moment I'm back to the PBK race cape

« Reply #14 on: 09 March, 2016, 02:47:34 pm »
I've got a Gore Bike wear jacket, its about 8 years old so guaranteed to be discontinued, I do remember having a coronary at the price but it really has been fantastic value on per use basis, done everything from MTB in mountain snow, daily commute duties with a rucksack and long wet winter rides and still not showing much wear. They do make some good bits of kit.

« Reply #15 on: 09 March, 2016, 02:55:17 pm »
That's odd, as I have one of a similar vintage and I've yet to take it off and not find the inside sopping wet.
A year or so ago Rapha had this significantly reduced, plus I had one of their vouchers, so I went for it.
Label says Nylon outer and Polyester inner - I guess that doesn't make it breathable, but somehow it doesn't end up wet on the inside like the Gore did.
Foolishly I believed their hype about the cut of the hood being cyclist specific (after the hoodless Gore I was looking forward to a dripless neck). Unfortunately the hood doesn't work at all well, although I've managed to stop it from dropping over my eyes by wearing a cap beneath it.
Upshot is, other than the hood, the jacket works very well. I'd wince if I had to pay full price for it thobut.
I'll be honest, I went for it cos it was cheap - it was also the first time in my life I have bought or worn a garment which is red.

While some of Rapha's stuff is, IMO, very good, some if it can be disappointing - their deep winter hat of disappointment, for one - silly money when I have hats which cost 1/3rd of that amount which out-perform it.

« Reply #16 on: 09 March, 2016, 03:03:07 pm »
That's odd, as I have one of a similar vintage and I've yet to take it off and not find the inside sopping wet.

It failed spectacularly on the ludicrously wet and windy Straight on at Rosies audax last month.  Thankfully it wasn't a cold day otherwise I would have had to DNF.

Since that ride and a trip through the washing machine with tech wash later even light rain was soaking right through, particularly on the arms.

Samuel D

« Reply #17 on: 09 March, 2016, 04:02:06 pm »
Since that ride and a trip through the washing machine with tech wash later even light rain was soaking right through, particularly on the arms.

Are you sure this isn’t your own sweat?

Returning something after six months of use takes a brass neck. No wonder these jackets are so expensive!

« Reply #18 on: 09 March, 2016, 04:14:06 pm »

Are you sure this isn’t your own sweat?

Returning something after six months of use takes a brass neck. No wonder these jackets are so expensive!
Unless I have particularly sweaty arms, yes!

I'd say I was well within my rights to return it as faulty seeing as it was under warranty.

IJL

« Reply #19 on: 09 March, 2016, 07:42:36 pm »
I have had one of these for the last few months,

http://www.endurasport.com/products/?ProductID=16&initcode=E9067GV

it has proven waterproof in most conditions, it kept me warm and comfortable on the straight on at Rosies audax.  I wouldn't say it kept me dry that day but I doubt anything else would have done either.   It has been waterproof on other wet rides and is good for very cold dry days

« Reply #20 on: 10 March, 2016, 12:50:33 am »

It failed spectacularly on the ludicrously wet and windy Straight on at Rosies audax last month.

I read Jurek's criticism as being of an unspecified 8yo Gore jacket (as per Si S): in similar vein to Si and Lee though, I'll praise my (also discontinued) Gore Fusion. Expensive even in a half-price sale, but it's now at fractions of a penny per wear, and even though it's showing its age I'm not yet close to looking for a replacement. Not at all perfect (the (removable) hood is so rubbish it's only been used twice), but I've been very happy with it.

« Reply #21 on: 10 March, 2016, 06:55:55 am »
The latest in carbon fibre city cycling 'Hard-shell' protective jacket.

« Reply #22 on: 10 March, 2016, 08:03:25 am »

It failed spectacularly on the ludicrously wet and windy Straight on at Rosies audax last month.

I read Jurek's criticism as being of an unspecified 8yo Gore jacket (as per Si S): in similar vein to Si and Lee though, I'll praise my (also discontinued) Gore Fusion. Expensive even in a half-price sale, but it's now at fractions of a penny per wear, and even though it's showing its age I'm not yet close to looking for a replacement. Not at all perfect (the (removable) hood is so rubbish it's only been used twice), but I've been very happy with it.

Ah yes, I had somehow missed the prior post.  I think you're correct.

« Reply #23 on: 10 March, 2016, 08:15:20 am »
I have had one of these for the last few months,

http://www.endurasport.com/products/?ProductID=16&initcode=E9067GV

it has proven waterproof in most conditions, it kept me warm and comfortable on the straight on at Rosies audax.  I wouldn't say it kept me dry that day but I doubt anything else would have done either.   It has been waterproof on other wet rides and is good for very cold dry days
=

Endura is my go-to manufacturer of cycle clothing.  They fit me well and offer a good price/performance ratio.  I'll certainly consider the luminite II alongside the FS260 pro, Flyte and Helium as well as the Gore Oxygen 2

« Reply #24 on: 10 March, 2016, 08:31:22 am »
I am inclined to agree. I work on the basis that because they're based in Scotland, they have an innate understanding of bad weather.

:-)
Rust never sleeps