Author Topic: Winter cycling hardshell recommendations  (Read 6344 times)

Samuel D

Re: Winter cycling hardshell recommendations
« Reply #25 on: 10 March, 2016, 10:38:16 am »
Unless I have particularly sweaty arms, yes!

I don’t have particularly sweaty arms, but my cycling jacket does get damp inside the sleeves when I’m at a comfortable temperature (or downright soaking if I’m slightly too warm for a couple of hours). These jackets tend not to breathe very well, especially in the sleeves. If you only use the jacket in the wet, you might think it’s leaking when it’s actually collecting your body’s moisture.

« Reply #26 on: 10 March, 2016, 11:07:57 am »
Unless I have particularly sweaty arms, yes!

I don’t have particularly sweaty arms, but my cycling jacket does get damp inside the sleeves when I’m at a comfortable temperature (or downright soaking if I’m slightly too warm for a couple of hours). These jackets tend not to breathe very well, especially in the sleeves. If you only use the jacket in the wet, you might think it’s leaking when it’s actually collecting your body’s moisture.

I use it in dry conditions as a windstopper too so I have a pretty good baseline to know when moisture is caused by sweat and when it's by rain ingress.

I was out last night wearing my spare rain jacket which isn't very breathable at all and I did get very wet inside it, which was definitely sweat.  The big difference was that I was more wet all over rather than more localised dampness caused more from where I was hitting rain, or the waterproofing had failed more than in other areas.

Clearly something wasn't quite right with it too as it shouldn't have taken on the uneven bobbly appearance when wet.

I don't think I'm being unreasonable when buying a product to expect it to do what it claims to.
Up the hills and round the bends

Samuel D

« Reply #27 on: 10 March, 2016, 12:19:15 pm »
I don't think I'm being unreasonable when buying a product to expect it to do what it claims to.

Me neither.

I was just mentioning the wet sleeves caused by body moisture in case you weren’t aware of the extent to which that happens with some waterproof jackets. It seems you know what I’m talking about. Carry on.

« Reply #28 on: 10 March, 2016, 12:21:21 pm »

Me neither.

Why then the comment:

Quote from: Samuel D
Returning something after six months of use takes a brass neck. No wonder these jackets are so expensive!

?

Samuel D

« Reply #29 on: 10 March, 2016, 12:41:47 pm »
Because using something for six months and then returning it is pretty cheeky in my book. Never mind. It’s the new normal.

« Reply #30 on: 10 March, 2016, 01:25:25 pm »
Because using something for six months and then returning it is pretty cheeky in my book. Never mind. It’s the new normal.

But it was faulty and was warrantied for 12 months.  I'd say I was perfectly within my rights to return it!

The warranty effectively implies 'this product will do what it is advertised and claimed to do for the warranty period, after that you're on your own'. 

Well, it didn't, hence the return.

By implication your approach would mean that manufacturers could turn out any old shit and we'd just have to lump it if it broke or otherwise failed.

« Reply #31 on: 10 March, 2016, 04:56:11 pm »

I am a big fan of Paramo for waterproofs. I have a Quito jacket for cycling in. Works really well and keeps out everything I've cycled in.

J
I've become a Paramo convert and have the Velez Light Smock for cycling/camping/dog walking/going to the pub .... bloody marvelous.

« Reply #32 on: 10 March, 2016, 06:50:57 pm »

No I profoundly disagree;  cycle gear is expensive and I believe that the consumer / user has the right to expect a reasonable amount of use from garment without it failing. Six months is hardly any time at all, I feel that years is reasonable use and correct performance otherwise we all end up just being wasteful consumers. Why should we pay for an item that fails after a short while  ? If you consider what warranties car manufacturers are handing out (OK buyer pays for) 6 months is neither here nor there.
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #33 on: 15 March, 2016, 04:33:14 pm »
I've gone for the Madison apex jacket as a replacement. All the reviews I've read sound good and I like the venting options.

http://road.cc/content/review/107811-madison-mens-road-race-apex-jacket

Time will tell as to how it stands up on the road.

« Reply #34 on: 15 March, 2016, 05:29:26 pm »
No I profoundly disagree;  cycle gear is expensive and I believe that the consumer / user has the right to expect a reasonable amount of use from garment without it failing.
It depends on whether it's failed, or just isn't new any more.
It's not uncommon to get damp arms through condensation & sweatiness, especially if it's raining and the DWR is no longer keeping the rain beaded up on the surface, which then wets out and becomes effectively non-breathable.

It's quite possible that Altura will test the jacket, and send it back as having no leaks.

« Reply #35 on: 15 March, 2016, 07:57:13 pm »
The important thing with garments the that have a DWR treatment or similar is to only use specific sports wash, not your usual detergent, e.g. The Nikwax stuff, and to follow drying etc instructions carefully.

For hard shell, the Decathlon tops take a lot of beating, but the price of waterproof hard shells is condensation of course.

« Reply #36 on: 16 March, 2016, 11:51:28 am »
Madison apex arrived today, certainly looks the part & fits nicely.  Comes with a lifetime warranty too.

Now let's see how it fares on the road!

(although I won't be complaining if I don't get to test out its waterproofing capabilities right away....)