Author Topic: Lights for Unlit country Lane and Winter Use  (Read 6379 times)

Lights for Unlit country Lane and Winter Use
« on: 26 September, 2015, 11:54:38 am »
Hi All,

I am looking for a new FRONT light for use on unlit country roads. My winter bike already has a B&M dynamo light on it and while that's okay, it's a bit teutonically efficient and lacking in range for unlit roads. What I'm looking for is something that'll dry the tarmac in front of me, but and this is the big but, when cars come towards me I don't want to blind them with an unfocussed beam.

I have a couple of other stipulations,
a) Bar mounted
b) Weather Proof
c) If I'm going to have manually dip the whole unit so not blind cars OR to change from High to Low, I must be capable of doing it wearing gloves.
d) I can live with a relatively short burn time (1 1/2hrs) and would prefer a self contained unit, but if it means I get what I want I don't mind a separate battery pack
e) I also don't mind spending up to £200 or maybe a smidgen more.

I know there are a dozen or so hi-quality MTB lights that fulfil some of those requirements, but an awful lot of them have an unfocussed beam that seem to light up everything. Fine for off road use, but not efficient for road use.

Has anyone any experience in using these type of MTB floodlight on the road or suggestions for an equivalent but road oriented version.

Lastly, an open question to bike light manufacturers: Why can't I buy a bike light that has a high/low beam option like a car?

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
Re: Lights for Unlit country Lane and Winter Use
« Reply #1 on: 26 September, 2015, 11:57:50 am »
Lezyne deca drive.

« Reply #2 on: 26 September, 2015, 11:58:52 am »
don't use those MTB floodlight things. They are obnoxious in the extreme for any other road user.

I rely on two torches (fenix of course), with them set at different angles. If there is oncoming traffic, I turn one off (effectively 'dipping' my lights). Since you have a good dynamo light already, I'd suggest that would be a good solution for you, have one torch and set it to point ahead, lighting things up in the distance. you can easily switch it off (even when wearing gloves) if there is oncoming traffic.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #3 on: 26 September, 2015, 12:27:21 pm »
What sort of dynamo light are you using? It could be worth upgrading that.
eg the IQ Cyo Premium is a much wider beam than older models, a lot better for unlit roads. Or look at the Luxos U, or the new IQ-X should be available soon.

« Reply #4 on: 26 September, 2015, 12:42:32 pm »
Exposure (British made) do lights with an optional lead with a button for dipping, so that you don't blind oncoming traffic. Powerful lights, too. You put the button on your bars where you think it will be easiest to access.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5 on: 26 September, 2015, 02:26:31 pm »
eg the IQ Cyo Premium is a much wider beam than older models, a lot better for unlit roads. Or look at the Luxos U, or the new IQ-X should be available soon.

Been thinking about getting one of those too for rides that run on after dark without continuing through the night, so that I can leave off the dynowheel and run on my nice light wheels.

Current backup light is a Cateye HL-EL530 which is OK and has a nice spread, but apart from a bright centre spot is rather dull.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #6 on: 26 September, 2015, 02:50:30 pm »

I've actually got a Lumotec IQ2 Luxos at the moment and it's okay but on unlit country roads it's a bit lacking and the cut off is too close. As P Walsh suggested an Exposure light with a remote switch button sounds a good idea, even if I have to kill the light completely when cars come towards me I'll still have the B&M on so not I won't be completely in the dark. They have some nice looking lights in the right price bracket on their website. Anyone any experience with them?

The Lezyne Deca Drive also looks a nice light, and the price is pretty good as well, but that small button in the centre looks like it's going to be awfully fiddly to change settings with when wearing gloves. Again anyone used them and are they fiddly to change mode on the go?

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #7 on: 26 September, 2015, 03:13:05 pm »
I use them all the time and if I really want light I'll put a pair on my bars.

I bought the loaded version, which comes with an extra battery. Theres also another more powerful version, but I don't need that for the road.

You can have it set so that a single push of the button switches from full to low and back again.

Never had a problem with gloves and I ride with mitts in the winter, as it gets quite chilly here.

« Reply #8 on: 26 September, 2015, 04:11:33 pm »

I've actually got a Lumotec IQ2 Luxos at the moment and it's okay but on unlit country roads it's a bit lacking and the cut off is too close. As P Walsh suggested an Exposure light with a remote switch button sounds a good idea, even if I have to kill the light completely when cars come towards me I'll still have the B&M on so not I won't be completely in the dark. They have some nice looking lights in the right price bracket on their website. Anyone any experience with them?

The Lezyne Deca Drive also looks a nice light, and the price is pretty good as well, but that small button in the centre looks like it's going to be awfully fiddly to change settings with when wearing gloves. Again anyone used them and are they fiddly to change mode on the go?

I have a small Exposure light (Sirrus) and for its size it is great. Very well made. But you want one of the more expensive models. One of the best things about Exposure is that their lights are all "programmable". You will have a choice, from a list of maybe 7, of which power settings to have available on the dimmer button. For example, you may opt for a 15 hour run time level for your "dipped" setting, with a 5 hour level for your "full beam". You will still need to point it slightly down, of course.

« Reply #9 on: 26 September, 2015, 04:16:21 pm »
don't use those MTB floodlight things. They are obnoxious in the extreme for any other road user.

I rely on two torches (fenix of course), with them set at different angles. If there is oncoming traffic, I turn one off (effectively 'dipping' my lights). Since you have a good dynamo light already, I'd suggest that would be a good solution for you, have one torch and set it to point ahead, lighting things up in the distance. you can easily switch it off (even when wearing gloves) if there is oncoming traffic.

You could use an MTB floodlight thing with a Fresnel lens diffuser fitted, eg why not try Singfire / Fluxient  etc and a Fresnel ?

Also, just a personal observation, many dynamo lights can be blinding too
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #10 on: 26 September, 2015, 08:21:43 pm »
The luxos has plenty of light for riding on lanes.  I have luxos on one bike and a cyo on the other.  The cyo has a better throw - slightly better - but isn't as wide as the luxos beam

Perhaps the light isn't properly angled or something. On dry roads I can descend with this light at 30mph+  It's always good to get a better light but really it is good enough and I don't know what more you would be wanting

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #11 on: 26 September, 2015, 08:23:48 pm »

You could use an MTB floodlight thing with a Fresnel lens diffuser fitted, eg why not try Singfire / Fluxient  etc and a Fresnel ?

Right, they can be.  But the (mainly german made) generator powered lights are designed to put light on the road surface rather than up in the trees

« Reply #12 on: 26 September, 2015, 08:30:19 pm »

Right, they can be.  But the (mainly german made) generator powered lights are designed to put light on the road surface rather than up in the trees

particular cases in instance were actually on Avalon Sunrise near Minehead control !! at which point I could barely see for the oncoming sets (plural) of dynamo lights all of which I found quite dazzling and intense, and I`m sure most were set properly too
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #13 on: 26 September, 2015, 09:01:49 pm »
particular cases in instance were actually on Avalon Sunrise near Minehead control !! at which point I could barely see for the oncoming sets (plural) of dynamo lights all of which I found quite dazzling and intense, and I`m sure most were set properly too

On the Avalon Sunrise 400km ride minehead is reached at approx 1am.  There is an out and back section from the road to Dunster on the A39.  So potentially you will see a load of bikes going the other way. 

Samuel D

« Reply #14 on: 26 September, 2015, 09:26:17 pm »
I've actually got a Lumotec IQ2 Luxos at the moment and it's okay but on unlit country roads it's a bit lacking and the cut off is too close.

How can the cut-off be too close? Surely that is adjustable by changing the angle of the light?

(Can’t help but am trying to decide which dynamo lamp to buy.)

« Reply #15 on: 26 September, 2015, 09:31:23 pm »
Exposure Strada, designed for road, comes with remote switch and has a dip function.  Also has pretty good run times , new version ( 6 ) is £242 .  Ive just bought one and it really is very very good

« Reply #16 on: 26 September, 2015, 10:43:02 pm »
I've actually got a Lumotec IQ2 Luxos at the moment and it's okay but on unlit country roads it's a bit lacking and the cut off is too close.

How can the cut-off be too close? Surely that is adjustable by changing the angle of the light?

Sure I can angle the light to project further up the road but it the laws of diminishing returns apply. The more it projects up the road the less bright it gets. Don't get me wrong the Lumotec IQ2 Luxos is a very very good dynamo headlight and I like all it's functions, but in the pitch black of Shropshire lanes I'd just like something that's brighter and shines a bit further up the road.

Samuel D

« Reply #17 on: 26 September, 2015, 11:12:32 pm »
Understood.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #18 on: 26 September, 2015, 11:25:34 pm »
But it also depends on the beam shape. If you have a bright spot on the road near to you, then your eyes will adjust to that. So it will appear darker in the distance.

« Reply #19 on: 26 September, 2015, 11:35:59 pm »
makes you wonder how we ever coped when state of the art was never ready nightriders, doesn't it?

fuaran's point is a really good one. My twin torches aren't that bright by modern bike light standards. Riding alone, I've not had any issues. I see potholes, spot roadsigns and the road surface - except when I've been riding in company, with people whose lights make mine seem like candles. Then I've had real issues seeing directly in front of my bike.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #20 on: 27 September, 2015, 07:27:36 am »

Sure I can angle the light to project further up the road but it the laws of diminishing returns apply. The more it projects up the road the less bright it gets. Don't get me wrong the Lumotec IQ2 Luxos is a very very good dynamo headlight and I like all it's functions, but in the pitch black of Shropshire lanes I'd just like something that's brighter and shines a bit further up the road.

quite agree--I have been using an IQ Cyo Premium T and was struggling on pitch black country lanes, didn`t seem to be able to achieve balance of distance light and close light; partly solved by adding a Fluxient 1000lumen light angled down for mid distance.

However for second dynamo setup bought an Edelux II and it is, for my requirements of dark Welsh lanes (  ;) ;) ) much better than the Cyo IQ--can actually go downhill at speeds seeing distance and closer  :thumbsup:

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #21 on: 27 September, 2015, 08:01:41 am »
I have a B&M CYO Premium (Dyno) which is great but it's even greater when I use my B&M IXON Premium (4xAA) in parallel.

ROSE Bikes sell them very cheaply (imo) and the IXON ranks as one of my most useful bits of kit ever.

I turn on the IXON for dark descents..etc.  Hampshire lanes are also dark in the dark.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Samuel D

« Reply #22 on: 27 September, 2015, 10:37:03 am »
Jamesld8: I thought the IQ Cyo T Premium and the Edelux II had the same reflector and LED and therefore largely the same performance, give or take a little brightness due to cooling differences. Interesting that you observe such a difference. Were they mounted at the same height?

« Reply #23 on: 27 September, 2015, 12:09:58 pm »
Jamesld8: I thought the IQ Cyo T Premium and the Edelux II had the same reflector and LED and therefore largely the same performance, give or take a little brightness due to cooling differences. Interesting that you observe such a difference. Were they mounted at the same height?

Identical height ie fork crown mount, and spread / distribution light is very different; Edelux II is much more even and intense , I`m sure therefore reflectors must differ even though EdeluxII  is a BM one

see  http://www.nabendynamo.de/produkte/led_en.html  Edelux II technology, which also claims 30% more light than Edelux original

« Reply #24 on: 27 September, 2015, 03:25:44 pm »
I have a B&M CYO Premium (Dyno) which is great but it's even greater when I use my B&M IXON Premium (4xAA) in parallel.

ROSE Bikes sell them very cheaply (imo) and the IXON ranks as one of my most useful bits of kit ever.

I turn on the IXON for dark descents..etc.  Hampshire lanes are also dark in the dark.

The trouble with this is that it doesn't do anything  for the tunnel vision effect, nor to get the attention  of  people backing out of drives, nor on the short forest section of commute, so personally I'm  still in the market for the (currently nonexistent?) main beam with instant off additional  light.