Author Topic: Bike Hod splendour  (Read 4567 times)

Bike Hod splendour
« on: 06 December, 2008, 09:20:49 am »
Cool !  We have some friends who live on a boat and are slowly (and I mean slooooooooooowly) picking their way around the world.

Every couple of years they head back to Europe (leaving the boat behind) to work a ski season.

Ours is their UK address so they base themselves here. We lend them the car, store their stuff in the loft etc etc.

They have folding bikes on the boat and cycle everywhere they can when they put ashore. Anyhow, a lengthy discussion ensued a few nights ago just before they left about what was the best sort of bike trailer. I've always fancied a Bike Hod so that we could do the shopping without having to resort to the car.

Anyhow, the day they left they presented us with this : -

Rust never sleeps

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Re: Bike Hod splendour
« Reply #1 on: 06 December, 2008, 09:45:19 am »
If I didn't have the luxury of space to store my Yuba Mundo, I'd have one of those.  Our local Waitrose has a fleet of them to lend to cycling shoppers so they can get their bags home and they are a genius bit of kit.

The great thing about the Bike Hod is that when it's not attached to a bike, everyone thinks it's an oversized old-lady shopping cart, so you don't get hassle taking it into the supermarket with you.  Unlike said aforementioned geriatric accoutrement, you could fit a Great Dane rather than a terrier in there.

Shame they don't do them in tartan  :D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #2 on: 06 December, 2008, 10:01:55 am »
If I didn't have the luxury of space to store my Yuba Mundo, I'd have one of those.  Our local Waitrose has a fleet of them to lend to cycling shoppers so they can get their bags home and they are a genius bit of kit.

The great thing about the Bike Hod is that when it's not attached to a bike, everyone thinks it's an oversized old-lady shopping cart, so you don't get hassle taking it into the supermarket with you.  Unlike said aforementioned geriatric accoutrement, you could fit a Great Dane rather than a terrier in there.

Corrr !

Lucky you. That would be the ideal solution if space was no issue.

V impressed with Waitrose. One of those is about to be built just down the road from us. No idea if they will be offering the same service though.

I was thinking of using ours instead of a trailer bike for mini-miss hatler !
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #3 on: 06 December, 2008, 10:04:27 am »
A very nice gift!
I was thinking of using ours instead of a trailer bike for mini-miss hatler !
I wouldn't do that as it'll be too cramped for her and the shopping!  ;)

Edit: Like the shopping cart of Charlottes post, is it sturdy enough to sit a supermarket wire basket on top without it collapsing?

alan

« Reply #4 on: 06 December, 2008, 10:23:36 am »
.  Our local Waitrose has a fleet of them to lend to cycling shoppers so they can get their bags home and they are a genius bit of kit.

That's excellent.
A shame the others,Tesco etc. don't do the same.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5 on: 07 December, 2008, 09:29:46 pm »
I've had a bike hod for more than 20 years. I haven't used it lately. I should!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #6 on: 08 December, 2008, 02:40:48 am »
Sound system rating?
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #7 on: 08 December, 2008, 04:19:48 pm »

I'm sure they do if you ask.

There is a model designed so an ordinary big rucksack straps on.

And I knew someone who had a wicker pet basket made for their's, so they could take their dog. It had a lid and an window an' everything.

Great bit of kit, been around forever.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Speshact

• Charlie
« Reply #8 on: 12 February, 2009, 08:43:32 pm »
Like the shopping cart of Charlottes post, is it sturdy enough to sit a supermarket wire basket on top without it collapsing?

Just stumbled upon the brilliance of taking one of these to Waitrose - you take it off the bike, wander into the store with it (don't pick up a basket) and pick up a hand-held scanner. Wander around, pick up items, scan em, drop em in bike-hod, wander out of store, attach to bike, go home, decouple and wheel into kitchen.
(Edit - forgot to include - hand over scanner and pay for goods!)

Now, if only Bike-Hod had the prices of the trollies on their site not just the price of delivery and an order form  ::-)

Though slightly nervous about going down path of t+1 as I already have a Carry Freedom...

« Reply #9 on: 13 February, 2009, 12:14:02 am »
I've had one for 25+ years. Sadly it only gets used occasionally, but it has carreid many things, including two folding beds (at once), another bike, fluorescent light strips, paint cans and more. It also helped to move flats once, although I just walked with it rather than towing it behind a bike.

« Reply #10 on: 13 February, 2009, 09:42:35 am »
I was at one of the folding bike conferences when the inventor came along with half a dozen "caterpillar format" as a long train - looked realy cool.

He spent the weekend carrying Bromptons around on them.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #11 on: 14 February, 2009, 01:09:25 pm »
Like the shopping cart of Charlottes post, is it sturdy enough to sit a supermarket wire basket on top without it collapsing?

Just stumbled upon the brilliance of taking one of these to Waitrose - you take it off the bike, wander into the store with it (don't pick up a basket) and pick up a hand-held scanner. Wander around, pick up items, scan em, drop em in bike-hod, wander out of store, attach to bike, go home, decouple and wheel into kitchen.
(Edit - forgot to include - hand over scanner and pay for goods!)

Now, if only Bike-Hod had the prices of the trollies on their site not just the price of delivery and an order form  ::-)

Though slightly nervous about going down path of t+1 as I already have a Carry Freedom...

Err.... the prices are here (scroll down) on the Bike Hod web-site.  Couldn't be much easier to find...  ;)
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor