Author Topic: DOTD  (Read 210691 times)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
Re: DOTD
« Reply #100 on: 28 July, 2014, 05:15:08 pm »
Shared-use paths which have no attempt to delineate areas for pedestrians, equestrians or cyclists work quite well, IME. Ok, you're not going to go anywhere quickly - but you shouldn't be trying to on such a path. They're for bimbling, passing the time of day, stopping to admire the view or somesuch, and they generally beget better behaviour than paint-segregated paths.

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #101 on: 28 July, 2014, 07:47:48 pm »
I said "Good afternoon" to an elderly couple walking along a narrow country lane with their backs to me, they moved aside, I thanked them and as I passed the man said, "That was so as not to scare us with your bell, wasn't it." Actually, I've taken the bell off that bike, but I do think that on the whole people respond better to an "Excuse me" or similar. Horses especially! The exception is when there's a lot of background noise.

Agreed.  Polite speech, or mechanical noises (changing gear, flicking brake levers, that sort of thing - studded tyres on brick surfaces are particularly effective) tend to go down better with peds, but I will use a bell on approach to blind corners, as that's loud and unambiguously 'bicycle'.  The exception is Kool Stop brake pads, which tend to spook people.

I prefer a brrring-bell to a ping-bell, and I reckon they're more audible if you're distracted or your high-frequency hearing isn't very good.
I tend to call "Ting! Ting!" where "Excuse me please" or "Bike on your right" aren't right. Do you think I'd be better changing to "Bring! Bring!"?
Not especially helpful or mature

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #102 on: 28 July, 2014, 08:42:10 pm »
Yes, I call out "ring ring" along with filcking my brake levers.  It mostly elicits a smile.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #103 on: 29 July, 2014, 08:37:33 am »
I sometimes use the zombie-esque moan of my poorly maintained disc brakes.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #104 on: 29 July, 2014, 08:42:22 am »

Gentle application of the Hope disc on the back of the Speedmachine would produce a noise not dissimilar to a wolf passing tail-first through a mangle.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #105 on: 29 July, 2014, 11:30:53 pm »
I said "Good afternoon" to an elderly couple walking along a narrow country lane with their backs to me, they moved aside, I thanked them and as I passed the man said, "That was so as not to scare us with your bell, wasn't it." Actually, I've taken the bell off that bike, but I do think that on the whole people respond better to an "Excuse me" or similar. Horses especially! The exception is when there's a lot of background noise.

Agreed.  Polite speech, or mechanical noises (changing gear, flicking brake levers, that sort of thing - studded tyres on brick surfaces are particularly effective) tend to go down better with peds, but I will use a bell on approach to blind corners, as that's loud and unambiguously 'bicycle'.  The exception is Kool Stop brake pads, which tend to spook people.

I prefer a brrring-bell to a ping-bell, and I reckon they're more audible if you're distracted or your high-frequency hearing isn't very good.
I tend to call "Ting! Ting!" where "Excuse me please" or "Bike on your right" aren't right. Do you think I'd be better changing to "Bring! Bring!"?

I use "Cyclist Approaching". It's not intimidating, is non-confrontational and factual.
The older you get, the better you get, unless you are a banana.

« Reply #106 on: 30 July, 2014, 07:58:02 am »
I use 'excuse me' if I'd like them to move out of my way, and 'good morning/afternoon' if I'd like them not to move into my way.

« Reply #107 on: 30 July, 2014, 09:43:44 am »
Tadcaster centre has a fairly narrow road through it, single lane each direction. There are roadworks, completely closing one lane, with a diversion round.

So, I nominate for DoTD the polka-dotted cyclist who ignored the diversion and pulled into the other lane. When there was already a transit coming the other way. I found myself making dickhead gestures at them, which I think the driver of the transit appreciated.

The diversion probably adds 200m to the route, dickwad.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Si_Co

« Reply #108 on: 30 July, 2014, 12:31:12 pm »

Gentle application of the Hope disc on the back of the Speedmachine would produce a noise not dissimilar to a wolf passing tail-first through a mangle.

Hope freewheels are great, sounds like someone running a stick along railings  ;D

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #109 on: 30 July, 2014, 02:04:04 pm »
I had to use the Shimano-equipped rear wheel from the towpath bike on the 3 Coasts in 2007 as the Hope hub on the Speedmachine needed new bearings.  The lack of noise while coasting was most disconcerting ???

« Reply #110 on: 06 August, 2014, 07:29:24 am »
On cycle path last night, cyclist came round the corner towards me riding on the right. He could have just been taking the corner a bit wide, so I slowed down, then stopped. I didn't want to go to the right of him in case he swerved to the correct side at the last minute, but no, he squeezed past on my left. He then stopped and shouted at me:
- What's your problem? You could see me coming!
- I thought you would pass on the left...
- Why? Is there a rule about it or somefink?

:facepalm:

He then carried on. On the right.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #111 on: 06 August, 2014, 02:03:41 pm »
Young adult riding down middle of two-lane, one way road.

The wrong way. On a brakeless BMX. Towards a blind junction.

FFS
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #112 on: 08 August, 2014, 09:17:32 pm »
I nominate Sada the pissweasel fuckpuppet on a Brompton who felt that the "Give Way" sign at the south end of the one-way bit of Endell Street didn't apply to him.  You, Sir, came very close to wearing the Towpath Bike for a hat.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #113 on: 03 September, 2014, 10:36:52 am »
Yesterday's DOTD met the motorised moron, who overtook him and forced an oncoming car to use part of the entrance to the Coppingham to avoid a collision.

The DOTD, though... riding a MBSO north on Balcombe road, hands in pockets, earbuds in, and eyes closed as he grooved to his bangin' toons, innit?

Oy, Darwin...
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #114 on: 03 September, 2014, 06:36:51 pm »
I have never been so scared in all my life.  There's a lady I sometimes see in the mornings who rides one of those city bikes with the most elevated handle bars I've ever seen.  This morning I could see her ahead of me as we crawled through slow moving traffic on the Col de Priory Road.  Slowly I car hopped up level with her where she was now behind a large artic.  The road is narrow and on the left is a 5 foot brick wall.  No pavement, no gutter, just road/brick wall. 
The truck ground to a halt, and I promise you, it was no more than18" from the wall.
No, she didn't, did she?  Yes she bloody did!
Scoot, scoot, scoot and she disappeared up the side.  I was horrified.  I shouted "No!!!!!!!" as loudly as I could and the wondered what to do.  I couldn't pull out and get cab high on the truck as the road was too narrow to get past the oncoming traffic.
Then the truck moved off again for a few feet and she reappeared.  I swear it was rubbing the shoulder of her jacket.
Of course I then tried to proffer advice.  All I got was a look that suggested that she'd be ignoring random old blokes trying make unwelcome advances, thankyouverymuch.

When she dies, and she will, it will of course be anyone's fault but the cyclist.  :facepalm:
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #115 on: 03 September, 2014, 07:10:56 pm »
Oh great - new school term. Impatience cranked up enormously in the last 48 hours.

Yesterday was crap. This morning I got honked at - followed by aggresive revving bullshit - for the heinous crime of overtaking a stationary queue  :facepalm:

(Rather glad I had a half-day today, no evening rush-hour for me.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #116 on: 04 September, 2014, 10:11:18 am »
The two cyclists in Blackheath village who undertook me at a junction as I was signalling the left turn I was about to make.  Happily I saw them in my left hand mirror, as I slowed down, and stopped.  >:(
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #117 on: 05 September, 2014, 11:00:50 am »
Teenager on an MTB too small for him - catches up with a car at a T junction.  Car is turning right so teenager moves alongside the right hand side of the car just as it pulls away.  He then proceeds to bully the car to a stop so that he can cross in front and go back to his gutter hugging.

10:30 pm in dark lanes.  I see the lights of a vehicle approaching around a bend so prepare to see a car.  It's not.  It is a cyclist with a blast it everywhere mega power light on his handlebars and another on his head.  Aaaaaaargh, my eyes.  On my dynamo powered headlight with a proper cut off beam I was riding more quickly than he was.  I admit I swore at him.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #118 on: 18 September, 2014, 02:51:59 pm »
Commuting into central London every day there's no shortage of bellends on bikes, but one this morning really took the biscuit for incredible stupidity.

I was approaching this junction, in primary intending to turn right at the mini roundabout. There were no vehicles behind me, but there were a couple of cars approaching from the left and straight ahead.

It's not a place to rush into because until you get up to the give way line the church blocks any view of traffic approaching from the right (and even when you get there the visibility isn't good).

So, just about when I got to the zebra crossing a bicycle came from behind me, went past the traffic islands on the wrong side of the road, in the middle of the lane and then around the right hand side of the roundabout to turn right.

Had anything come from the turning on the right then the world idiot count would have been reduced by one (well, until the next one was born).

Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #119 on: 19 September, 2014, 07:03:28 pm »
Two young lovers tonguing in the middle of the psyclepath.  i couldn't think of anything witty to shout, sadly.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #120 on: 20 September, 2014, 02:11:54 am »
Wouldn't "Get on the fucking pavement" have worked?
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #121 on: 20 September, 2014, 04:01:27 pm »
Two young lovers tonguing in the middle of the psyclepath.

It seems Roger has stumbled across an early draft of "That's Enterttainment". Mr Weller later decided the "missing the tranquility of solitude" sounded much more pretentious better. And what's more, it scanned.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #122 on: 21 September, 2014, 10:04:09 pm »
Wouldn't "Get fucking on the pavement" have worked?

FTFY.

« Reply #123 on: 22 September, 2014, 12:28:27 am »

FTFY.

;D

I thought "Get a room!" was standard operating procedure language in such instances.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #124 on: 22 September, 2014, 11:06:01 am »

FTFY.

;D

I thought "Get a room!" was standard operating procedure language in such instances.

Miserable old gits. Weren't any of you young and full of hormones once?
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams