Author Topic: Research / evidence of benefits (to motorists) of Low Traffic Neighbourhoods  (Read 7100 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
LBIslington are being quite bullish in spite of the pitchfork brigade

http://islingtontribune.com/article/roads-row-back-down
Council leader Richard Watts said ...

“I welcome that in shutting off the streets to traffic they’re showing how nice traffic free streets can be.
:D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Nurses lock and stand might be a worthwhile solution with a different bike, along with less bike theft and, the biggest obstacle, wider pavements. They weren't wide enough even in the pre-queue era. (But are they being widened? No.)

My dastardly council is planning to widen pavements by blocking off the on street parking spaces. I know this because one of the local shops (maybe 100m from each of three car parks) has a poster up about how a lack of on street parking will kill the shops.

ian

Nurses lock and stand might be a worthwhile solution with a different bike, along with less bike theft and, the biggest obstacle, wider pavements. They weren't wide enough even in the pre-queue era. (But are they being widened? No.)

My dastardly council is planning to widen pavements by blocking off the on street parking spaces. I know this because one of the local shops (maybe 100m from each of three car parks) has a poster up about how a lack of on street parking will kill the shops.

I never understand this one, the main thing that killed local shops is cars. A few parking spaces won't change that one way or the other. Once people are in their cars, the majority of them will drive somewhere else. All quick and easy on-street parking stimulates is fast food franchises and convenience stores.

Our local high street (which was dying before Covid) is a similar battleground. There is parking but even then it's deemed 'inconvenient' because it's probably a minute or two walk from the car park to the shops. If they stopped through traffic, pedestrianized the high street, but a bit of thought into it, it could be a core of a pleasant shopping and leisure environment where people might like to go to pick up a few things, have lunch with friends, a drink in the evening. I've been to places like that, so I know they exist, and I know they're never based around a major through road. If I recall from the local development plan, there are around 5,000 people within fifteen minutes walk of the town centre.

Yet the main people against this seem to be the few remaining shop owners.

All these things are connected, the convenience of the car become all-encompassing, but it's not really freedom. Freedom is being able to casually stroll to a local shop.

Yet the main people against this seem to be the few remaining shop owners.

When they did a scheme locally they sent council officers to spend a few days sleuthing who actually parked outside the local shops and they discovered it was mostly shop owners and staff.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
All that because you are not buying for a partner and three starving kids. (I might add that you have a lift that works which is sometimes a bit of a luxury in these parts but that has nothing to do with the pro/anti-car arguments)
I think that for 2km I would forgo the backpack and use a wheeled shopping basket (a stairclimber if I needed lifts, for the occasions when the lifts were out - advantage, zero chance of the bike getting pinched) but madame insists on driving 14km to fill the boot of a 20yr old estate car. That's exercising choice in a democracy for you. (She wouldn't be seen dead driving to a gym - or getting there any other way either!)

If I had 3 kids of the right age, I'd give them each a backpack, one shopping list between them, and send them on their bikes to the supermarket. The infrastructure is good enough that it is safe for them to do so. Thus saves me the job.

Or I'd use a bakfiets...

or I'd just get it all delivered. I actually get one delivery from the supermarket about once every 4-6 weeks. This mostly contains some frozen stuff, toilet rolls, laundry detergent, and feeding my coke habbit (last delivery included 15l of diet coke). By getting the bulk of stuff like this, I can limit my supermarket runs to more like the one I will do this afternoon, when I'll goto AH to buy some burgers for the BBQ, some chopped tomatoes (due to the current situation, these are only available in store), and maybe some chocolate or beer.

What is making this thread very interesting for me is how it demonstrates just how big the differences are between the major urban areas and our relatively little (200 000 population with the satellites) agglomeration. Really I have no notion at all of the problems of you londoners!

I am not a Londoner...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Slightly off topic (very off topic actually) but how long do you queue to get in a supermarket in Amsterdam nowadays?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Slightly off topic (very off topic actually) but how long do you queue to get in a supermarket in Amsterdam nowadays?

I haven't had to queue for weeks. They have removed a lot of the entry/exit covid controls. The only thing they've kept is none of the trolleys need a euro any more...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/