Author Topic: Twin Peaks  (Read 6167 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Twin Peaks
« Reply #25 on: 07 November, 2013, 05:41:35 pm »
Perhaps it was because I didn't see it from the beginning but I could never fathom what the heck was going on.

Highly likely. I can't think of many series that punish viewers for missing even one episode to the extent that Twin Peaks does.

When it was first on telly in the UK, I missed the first two episodes and tried to pick it up from the third but was absolutely baffled. It wasn't until a few years later that I had the opportunity to watch the whole thing from the beginning on video. I was instantly hooked and ended up watching both series, beginning to end, in the space of a week.

If you want David Lynch on super-weird form try watching Eraserhead -I think it was his film school graduation thing or something  - it elevates weirdness to the Astral Plane.

I take it you haven't seen Inland Empire then?

Eraserhead is certainly a bit odd but at least it has a relatively conventional linear narrative underpinning the weirdness - unlike, say, Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive.

Both of which are utterly brilliant, of course.  ;D
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #26 on: 07 November, 2013, 05:50:53 pm »
Nope, not seen Inland Empire.  Eraserhead, 'a bit odd'  ??? ;D :thumbsup:

We turned Mulholland Drive over after a while.  David Lynch is a very acquired taste at times.

I must say looking up his films, I had forgotten he made The Elephant Man - that of course is a masterpiece.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #27 on: 07 November, 2013, 06:51:31 pm »
Well, the last episode was certainly weird!

Good news.  You can cut and paste that response for most episodes from now on!

Last = the final episode! ;)

citoyen

« Reply #28 on: 07 November, 2013, 06:53:26 pm »
I had forgotten he made The Elephant Man - that of course is a masterpiece.

Hmmm. John Hurt is good in that but I found it almost unbearably mawkish on the whole.

You really do need to stick with Mulholland Drive to the end - if you concentrate, the weirdness is unravelled and it all makes perfect sense (though still quite weird), then you realise how heartbreakingly sad it is and you want to watch it again and again... I think it's probably Lynch's best film.

By the way, am I the only person in the world who thinks The Straight Story isn't a sentimental road trip but in fact a journey into the heart of darkness?

hillbilly

« Reply #29 on: 07 November, 2013, 08:24:14 pm »
Mulholland Drive is excellent.  Very few of Lynch's films are less than good.  But they were all interesting in different ways.

Inland Empire confused the fuck out of me and I thought it so-so as a rssult.  Lost Highway wasn't that great.  And Dune didn't feel right.

But the rest.  Oh my.  How I enjoy them.  Blue Velvet is his masterpiece.  Such a rich film.  And Frank is one of the greatest characters in cinema.  A snake leading Adam and Eve astray.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #30 on: 07 November, 2013, 09:12:58 pm »
Dune was Shit. I've rarely seem such a mangling of a classic book in my life.

Although it's as close to unfilmable as just about anything I've read. Far too much if it is in the mind for it to easily got across on film.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

citoyen

Twin Peaks
« Reply #31 on: 08 November, 2013, 08:19:06 am »
Ah, now, I quite liked Dune. ;D

I saw it again recently and I must admit it hadn't aged particularly well but it's still fun - as long as you take the sheer daftness of it at face value.

I did read the book once upon a time (the first three books, in fact, iirc) but don't especially remember it (them).

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #32 on: 08 November, 2013, 08:27:18 am »
I thought Dune was rather good too. I even recall the first time I saw it but that story's for another thread ;).

Interestingly, Mrs W was just reading an article on Twin Peaks on Digital Spy. It claims that the Michael Jackson song Smooth Criminal was inspired by the last episode ("Annie, are you OK?"). I commented that I thought the MJ song was older than TP and I was correct: it was launched in 1987 ::-).
Pen Pusher

LEE

« Reply #33 on: 08 November, 2013, 09:06:05 am »
Strange to get so far into a Lynch discussion without mentioning Blue Velvet.

Twin Peaks was a great concept, once again, stretched to thin by the pressures of squeezing all the blood from a successful TV series stone.

Anyway, I love Elephant man, it's a film you can watch with the sound off and music playing, beautiful.  Mawkish?  A bit I suppose but I forgive him for shooting it in black and white.

I've seen Eraserhead of course but I can't say there's any enjoyment to be had watching it.

Lynch does "menacing" very well.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #34 on: 06 October, 2014, 10:35:38 am »
Ooooh is there something afoot?

Tweet from David and Mark  - Dear Twitter Friends: That gum you like is going to come back in style! #damngoodcoffee. This send twitter and other news site off like a frog in a sock. Well it is 25 years ago that Laura said to Cooper - I will see you again in 25 years.

Does this mean that the Owls are what they seem? Let the rumour mill go wild.

Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #35 on: 06 October, 2014, 06:33:19 pm »

ian

« Reply #36 on: 06 October, 2014, 08:33:21 pm »
Hmm, we started rewatching it again a few months back. Not got to the end of series 1 yet. I found it heavy and slow going and it seemed to be really straining to be overly quirky. I suppose if you like that sort of thing. It reminded me on one of those student drama things I used to sit through – mostly (ok, always) because I'd been invited by a cute girl – and well, when you're male and that age (possibly any age), you'll sit through pretty much anything and nod appreciatively in the hope that you won't have to wait till Heaven for your reward.

Of course now I'm married and I have to go to the opera. Just because.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #37 on: 27 November, 2014, 11:03:22 pm »
Just got to end, feck me that got a wee bit peculiar. Surprised how much I could remember from season 1, but from season 2 it was only a bit here and there.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #38 on: 27 November, 2014, 11:21:08 pm »
I watched the whole of S1 and S2 for the first time recently.  While there were moments that can only be described as splendidly amusing, and it's certainly re-kindled my thing for David Duchovny (why didn't anybody tell me!), I have to admit that I didn't 'get' it.

As far as I'm concerned the whole thing can go in the same bin as Lost - it tricks you into thinking there's some beautifully clever grand scheme, but by the time you get halfway through it becomes clear the writers were actually either stringing you along or flat-out winging it, yet you're still compelled to continue to the bitter end.  A pox on it, I say.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #39 on: 28 November, 2014, 09:24:22 am »
I watched the whole of S1 and S2 for the first time recently.  While there were moments that can only be described as splendidly amusing, and it's certainly re-kindled my thing for David Duchovny (why didn't anybody tell me!), I have to admit that I didn't 'get' it.

As far as I'm concerned the whole thing can go in the same bin as Lost - it tricks you into thinking there's some beautifully clever grand scheme, but by the time you get halfway through it becomes clear the writers were actually either stringing you along or flat-out winging it, yet you're still compelled to continue to the bitter end.  A pox on it, I say.

Ive only come to it recently too, and I loved S1 but felt the same way as Kim about S2. I get the impression that in S2 they weren't really allowed to make the show they wanted to make (in particular I don't think Laura's killer was ever supposed to be identified), and the quality suffered because of it.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #40 on: 28 November, 2014, 10:44:38 am »
It got everything from suspens, comedy, acting, directing etc. On the whole scale from brilliant to crap. One thing for sure it is slow compared to today's programs. Oh, for a teenage boy plenty to look at too :)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #41 on: 28 November, 2014, 12:12:24 pm »
Yeah, I think the slowness is just indicative of the time it was made.  Like the narrow-beam halogen torches.  Or the shoulder pads.  Or all the tape recorders.  Or the camera being securely attached to a tripod for the duration.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #42 on: 28 November, 2014, 12:25:06 pm »
The hairdos, the eyebrows, the computer/laptop. Though the cars/trucks, threes and houses/shops/bars still look the same when we where in the same state two years ago.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #43 on: 23 June, 2022, 11:36:42 am »
We're currently working through Twin Peaks: The Return (season 3), which was shown in 2017.

It's very, very good (read the reviews) but OMG is it weird.

Watched Episode 8 last night, which I think is peak weird by any standards.  Without giving too much away, the Trinity nuclear test causes a lot of problems.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #44 on: 23 June, 2022, 01:12:36 pm »
Episode 8 of the 3rd series is my favourite! I'd love to see it in the cinema on a big screen with surround sound.

The same evening it screened I lifted some audio and "Gotta light?" has been my mobile's ringtone ever since.

The sound of one pannier flapping

rogerzilla

« Reply #45 on: 23 June, 2022, 01:22:34 pm »
The "woodsmen" are the stuff of nightmares.

« Reply #46 on: 27 June, 2022, 04:22:36 pm »
I recently got the complete s1-3 on dvd, but (despite being the correct region) it won’t play!
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #47 on: 27 June, 2022, 08:37:03 pm »
Confession: even though I started this thread, I have yet to see series 3. On what platform(s) is it available?
Pen Pusher

rogerzilla

« Reply #48 on: 01 July, 2022, 01:35:45 pm »
DVD and Blu-Ray  ;D

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #49 on: 01 July, 2022, 01:37:18 pm »
You forgot torrent too ;)