Author Topic: The Board Game Thread  (Read 19054 times)

Re: What are your favourite/least favourite board games?
« Reply #50 on: 13 December, 2013, 07:53:00 am »
Not keen on Monopoloy and really don't like Cluedo.

Ludo is underrated I think. Not a game for adults but with little kids the rules are easy to learn and it does develop the idea of tactics (do you try and get a single piece all the way round fast or have multiple pieces out so you have more chance of nobbling the opposition).

Draughts I played a lot with Pcolbeck junior and its fun and quick. We used to do best out of 10.l

Chess is a classic of course and I love it but have never given it the time I would like to. Maybe when I retire.

Reversi/Othello is a good one. It's very easy in concept but hard to get good at.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #51 on: 13 December, 2013, 07:57:01 am »
Mr R and his university friends are addicted to Settlers of Catan (and the variants thereof).  One couple even had a Catan themed wedding cake...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #52 on: 13 December, 2013, 08:27:31 am »
Chess, of course, is my favourite. To quote the (Indian?) proverb "Chess is a sea from which a gnat can drink and in which an elephant can bathe". I like to think I managed to attain the level of a wart-hog.

I was introduced to a wide variety of board games when I worked at the Mind Sports Olympiad and I think that possibly the best new game was Boku. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bōku. I see that it won a Mensa award in 1999 and Wiki published a list of World Champions.

I have tried to play Go but I am not clever enough. I once helped organise a Go simultaneous display in which the reigning Worls Champion played 12 opponents, one of whom (Les Blackstock) was the European Champion. The World Champion won the lot.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #53 on: 13 December, 2013, 08:49:00 am »
I very much like Go, and have a lovely set.  But I can be trounced by even a moderately competent player because my spatial sense isn't very good.

The Glass Bead Game (a domino hack, an certainly the best use of coloured dominoes) is a tile laying game of pleasing complexity.
Getting there...

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #54 on: 13 December, 2013, 09:03:34 am »
Mr R and his university friends are addicted to Settlers of Catan (and the variants thereof).  One couple even had a Catan themed wedding cake...

Settlers is a modern classic.  I think it would be even more popular too if it didn’t have a ‘fantasy’ sounding name, which is the sort of thing that puts non-gamers off.

I expect the developers were well aware of this and I wonder if they were more worried about a game having colonial/imperialistic overtones if done with a real world setting.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #55 on: 13 December, 2013, 09:15:07 am »
I'm one of those who prefers more abstract games, and have tended to be put off by 'fantasy' stylings, or anything too specific, such as Campaign (which is a bit dull, tbh).
Getting there...

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #56 on: 13 December, 2013, 09:18:13 am »
Settlers is fairly abstract, hence me pointing out the issue.

It's non-violent too.  There are also co-operative games like 'Pandemic' and 'Shadows over Camelot' for those that don't like competitive play or conflict based gaming.

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #57 on: 13 December, 2013, 09:34:48 am »
I am getting into board games at the moment, mainly thanks to Tabletop on youtube (presented by Will Wheaton). Have King of Tokyo and Lords of Waterdeep so far and have just ordered Munchkin. Now need to find some players as at present my wife only agrees to play Scrabble. She then swears at me when I win. My son (4) only wants to play Uno (at which he is very good!) and Labrynth (which is still a bit tricky for him).

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #58 on: 13 December, 2013, 09:53:28 am »
Settlers is fairly abstract, hence me pointing out the issue.

It's non-violent too.  There are also co-operative games like 'Pandemic' and 'Shadows over Camelot' for those that don't like competitive play or conflict based gaming.

Yes.  The marketing was good, as it got people in who might not normally play a board game (or only a fantasy one), but people like me (and other boring old squares) were put off (and missed out).
Getting there...

« Reply #59 on: 13 December, 2013, 11:56:12 am »
Crossbows and Catapults was a good 'un, though not strictly a board game. As well as the fun of actually crossbowing and catapulting your opponent's defences, there was an art to constructing your own defences. It was mainly about the destruction, though ;D

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #60 on: 13 December, 2013, 12:52:50 pm »
I remember reading once (I can't remember where, but probably the British Chess Magazine) about some theory or othe about the complexity of games. It was probably known to Arpad Elo, the Hungarian guy whose work led to the establishment of the FIDE rating list.

According to that theory, in chess there are 14 different levels between complete beginner to World Champion in which the definition of a level is where Player A beats Player B 75% of the time, B beats C 75% of the time, etc.. In Go, there are about 40 levels. I think that in chess, teaching and learning the basics of the game (simply capturing undefended pieces) are a completely different kettle of fish from learning some of the more advanced endgame ideas, where the thinking is far more abour patterns of squares.

Chess and Go are therefore not great games where the players are too far apart in ability whereas other games, eg cribbage and poker (ok, not board games but they still fit in with the theory) dilute the skill with an element of luck and the weaker player always has a chance, in the short term, to beat the stronger player.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #61 on: 13 December, 2013, 01:13:36 pm »
Crossbows and Catapults was a good 'un, though not strictly a board game. As well as the fun of actually crossbowing and catapulting your opponent's defences, there was an art to constructing your own defences. It was mainly about the destruction, though ;D

I think my decision to buy 'Shadows over Camelot' was at least partially influenced by the fact that some of the playing pieces are small model trebuchets.

« Reply #62 on: 13 December, 2013, 02:14:25 pm »
Some of the more convoluted games have too many rules for me- I remember feeling more than once that a game was just a complex prop-filled game of cheat where other players made up ways of winning that they hadn't told me.

(Or it might have been that my sister was a bitch).

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #63 on: 13 December, 2013, 02:15:56 pm »
There was a game called Pit we had as kids. It was another of those evil running dog capitalist swine games, in that you had to "corner the market" by trading commodity cards. It got very noisy with people shouting "Oats oats oats!" "Corn corn corn!" "Give you three oats for two corn!" Good fun. I can't remember whether there actually was a board or not... but it was good training for my future career on Wall St. Or in getting oats. Or something.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #64 on: 13 December, 2013, 03:28:01 pm »
There was a game called Pit we had as kids. It was another of those evil running dog capitalist swine games, in that you had to "corner the market" by trading commodity cards. It got very noisy with people shouting "Oats oats oats!" "Corn corn corn!" "Give you three oats for two corn!" Good fun. I can't remember whether there actually was a board or not... but it was good training for my future career on Wall St. Or in getting oats. Or something.

Settlers of Catan ends up like that.

I've not let my son forget the game where he bellowed "I'm desperate for a sheep!".
<i>Marmite slave</i>

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #65 on: 13 December, 2013, 03:29:43 pm »
I think my decision to buy 'Shadows over Camelot' was at least partially influenced by the fact that some of the playing pieces are small model trebuchets.
You can't go wrong with siege weapons. Even model ones.

They're like the mediaeval equivalent of sharks with frickin' laser beams.

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #66 on: 13 December, 2013, 03:41:05 pm »
Some of the more convoluted games have too many rules for me- I remember feeling more than once that a game was just a complex prop-filled game of cheat where other players made up ways of winning that they hadn't told me.

(Or it might have been that my sister was a bitch).

I think it depends a lot – a fair number of rules in games are actually clarifications or exceptions, often retroactively put in in later editions to deal with ‘rules lawyers’ who try and exploit ill or loosely defined game mechanics.

On one level it’s great that these people exist because clearer rules improve games but in general they are dreadful people to play with as they ignore the spirit and intention of the game.  Effectively people like this are why most committees are dreadful – they get populated by people who like being on committees.

But there are people who just lie or make things up.  I think the technical name for these is ‘older siblings’.

I tend to go for the extremes – games with few, simple rules that are quick and fun to play or complex monsters that are effectively war simulations and require detailed lengthy rules in order for you to be able to explore various historical options.

As I said upthread, these sorts of simulations are exactly what computers are good at, in fact pretty much what computers were designed for* but much of big the money in game development tends towards the blammykilly first-person shooters at the moment, rather than game AI (or at least the sort of AI I want for wargames) - gaming has gone through several cycles, which kind of seem to be repeating themselves and mirror the bloated nature of the film industry with over dependence on repeat titles from big name series and reboots. 

It’s being argued that the industry is on the verge of a crash because of this – certainly many of the big studios (film or game) are potentially only one big failure away from bankruptcy.

Board games suffered to an extent over the last few decades from the mass appeal of computer games but there are a lot of good games coming through now, particularly from the German market and I think there’s at least a small rally in popularity, if not a resurgence.

*Computers are great for working out stuff like complex supply rules, ‘fog of war’, line of sight and other such stuff that’s tedious record keeping for a human player.

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #67 on: 13 December, 2013, 03:42:50 pm »

I do get my medieval siege weapon names mixed up a lot though.

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #68 on: 13 December, 2013, 03:44:46 pm »

Settlers of Catan ends up like that.

I've not let my son forget the game where he bellowed "I'm desperate for a sheep!".

;D

This why board games beat computer games as a social experience chance to garner slagging rights.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #69 on: 13 December, 2013, 04:00:14 pm »

I do get my medieval siege weapon names mixed up a lot though.
I'm pretty good at them - could be something to do with the fact that they're my go-to unit of choice when I play something like Age of Empires ;D

Or, to put it another way, I'm sad enough to know the difference between a mangonel and an onager ... the trebuchet is for long-range violence, though.

« Reply #70 on: 13 December, 2013, 04:13:37 pm »
Or, to put it another way, I'm sad enough to know the difference between a mangonel and an onager ... the trebuchet is for long-range violence, though.

One can be chopped and served in a stew and the other is something you would be embarrassed to be caught doing?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #71 on: 13 December, 2013, 04:14:26 pm »

One can be chopped and served in a stew and the other is something you would be embarrassed to be caught doing?
Working out which is which is left as an exercise for the reader  :P

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #72 on: 15 December, 2013, 09:51:55 pm »
The really nasty horse racing game. (That is what it is called). It is easy to get your head round the rules, the winner isn't usually known till the last race.  It is a horseracing game but you can bet on the other players horses so it gets to be much more fun.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #73 on: 15 December, 2013, 09:55:59 pm »
Is that Totopoly?  There are loads of horse racing games, but that was one of the most popular.
Getting there...

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #74 on: 19 December, 2013, 04:09:53 pm »
I’m obsessively following the tracking details of my game coming over from the US.  UPS don’t half ping their stuff all over the place – so far it’s been to Visalia, Los Angeles, Ontario, Philadelphia and has now departed from Newark.  Supposedly going to be with me tomorrow but I shall be at work.  I feel a depressing trip to Croydon to the UPS depot is in my future...