Author Topic: iPad virus removal  (Read 1384 times)

iPad virus removal
« on: 21 July, 2014, 10:09:12 pm »
A friend has just called me for advice, but I know nothing about this platform.

He opened an email with a dodgy attachment, and ever since his iPad has been playing up.   

Please could those who know this subject respond with advice as to good things to do, 'apps' to install, etc.     I seemed to recall that clamav worked in mac world, but don't know if that works on the iPad platform, or is best practice.

I'll pass any info on accordingly.    Thanks in advance.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: iPad virus removal
« Reply #1 on: 21 July, 2014, 10:48:08 pm »
Is it jail broken?
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #2 on: 21 July, 2014, 11:34:47 pm »
Have asked.

Thank you for the reply.

« Reply #3 on: 21 July, 2014, 11:37:03 pm »
Is it jail broken?

I have been told that it isn't.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #4 on: 21 July, 2014, 11:58:22 pm »
Hmm, then almost certainly not a virus. Since there aren't any, unless it is jailbroken

What is the odd behaviour?

Afasoas

« Reply #5 on: 22 July, 2014, 11:48:48 am »
Hmm, then almost certainly not a virus. Since there aren't any, unless it is jailbroken

Probably unlikely but entirely ruling it out, it's naive.

What is the odd behaviour?

« Reply #6 on: 22 July, 2014, 12:09:06 pm »
To be fair, Jaded didn't entirely rule it out, just said that he felt that it was  almost certainly not a virus.

Given the proliferation of iBerries I would not be surprised if the crooks haven't been working on breaking in as it must potentially be hugely lucrative for them.   

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #7 on: 22 July, 2014, 12:46:19 pm »
Afasoas, given the number of people that would jump up and down with glee if iOS had a confirmed virus in the wild and if you google ios virus you get nothing of any substance, I think the most likely explanation for the odd behaviour lies elsewhere. E.g. iPad memory full, restore needed, not fully up to date ios version, Flash website misbehaving,  his router is compromised and so on.

Hence the question regarding the symptoms.

« Reply #8 on: 22 July, 2014, 02:20:40 pm »
It is Nutty we are talking about here though. Its probably just being weird due to proximity to him. He can make any fruity device or software misbehave in ways no one else can.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #9 on: 22 July, 2014, 02:31:07 pm »
On a more serious note there are several "ad blcckers" for Chrome or Safari on the iPad. Due to the way IOS works you can't have a proper ad blocker and instead what these do is redirect all requests through a specific website to do the filtering. This is the topology of a classic man in the middle attack and I wouldn’t trust them.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #10 on: 22 July, 2014, 04:31:21 pm »
On a more serious note there are several "ad blcckers" for Chrome or Safari on the iPad. Due to the way IOS works you can't have a proper ad blocker and instead what these do is redirect all requests through a specific website to do the filtering. This is the topology of a classic man in the middle attack and I wouldn’t trust them.

Also, IME they don't jbex very well :(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #11 on: 22 July, 2014, 04:54:57 pm »
I think there's a mention of the dreaded Twitter virus at this point. Plus, all iPads are haunted by the ghost of Steve Jobs and thus are liable to FIRE YOU in an epic post-mortem, digital tantrum. This is normal.

But no, there aren't any viruses or malware in the wild, unless you jailbreak and download naughty apps. Which will make the ghostly Steve even angrier. So angry that he might even knock off a plant pot.

« Reply #12 on: 22 July, 2014, 11:23:24 pm »
Or perhaps Nutty's friend could contact Apple via their website and arrange for them to phone him at a convenient time, and solve the issues that way? That's what I did when Something Important And Passwordy became corrupted on my computer, and the nice man solved all my problems in ten minutes. :thumbsup:
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

« Reply #13 on: 05 August, 2014, 01:09:11 pm »
Just an update on this.     I passed the messages back, asked the questions posed, and have had no reply.      I'm dropping this therefore.

Just a note of thanks to all those who did offer help.