Author Topic: Bought any camping gear today?  (Read 331931 times)

Re: Bought any camping gear today?
« Reply #1575 on: 16 August, 2020, 01:01:25 pm »
Here’s my bivvy which I’ve had a while.

In the second photo I was seeing how it’d work with an emergency survival bag to save bulk. Third photo all packed up with inflatable mat inside the bivvy bag,  and emergency bag in long thin orange bag. Total weight 1020g. Fourth photo packed between my recumbent seat and wheel and seat bag , avoiding rack needing to be installed. If rack was installed I’d probably take my 300g sleeping bag. I measure my stuff against foot size.

Been looking at setup as Wild Atlantic Way audax if it runs next year may need to use campsites instead of sports halls for sleeping.

« Reply #1577 on: 27 August, 2020, 03:56:23 pm »
Just taken delivery of a Petzl Noctilight. I only heard of these the other day, and am more excited by it than I should be (yes, I could just hang my headtorch up in my tent, but now I have an actual purpose-made case to do it!). Though judging by the weather we've had all week, I'm not going to be testing it any time soon...

« Reply #1578 on: 28 August, 2020, 09:57:55 am »
Just taken delivery of a Petzl Noctilight. I only heard of these the other day, and am more excited by it than I should be (yes, I could just hang my headtorch up in my tent, but now I have an actual purpose-made case to do it!). Though judging by the weather we've had all week, I'm not going to be testing it any time soon...

I've got one of these (even though my Alpkit headtorch doesn't quite fit). The way it disperses the light if you're using it as a lantern inside the tent is quite handy.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1579 on: 03 September, 2020, 12:52:54 pm »
I fancied a camp frying pan. One of those Trangia hard anodized ones, cos everyone loves a hardened Swedish pan, don't they? <insert Abba> But the big ones are family mean sized and the small ones are unobtainium. So instead I took advantage of Alpkit's bank holiday offer and got their Alipots. This means a) the Alipots will soon be reduced by a larger amount, b) I can get rid of my "mess tin" with worn out teflon. Ali Pots got here today and omg huge! I mean size is good, but... So I'll probably only be using the smaller one. Also, the lids are rather loose. TBF, there was a review which said as much, but they should be good for frying and stuff. The Seagull brand pot I have atm has a tight fit* lid which is great as a lid but can't be used for anything else. So all I need now is an expotition.

*In the jungle, the mighty jungle [that's way too much 80s music now, stop].
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #1580 on: 15 September, 2020, 10:36:36 pm »
I've just ordered a tent!  :thumbsup:

Alas I'm camping Thursday and delivery is expected Friday but hey ho.

I don't really need another tent but my nicer one is...errr...seventeen years old and starting to get a little worn. Though given it was <£50 it really doesn't owe me anything. It's still trucking along mind but it's 5kg. The new one is also a two person tent and is only 2.6kg and packs up rather smaller.

The old tent is a Vango Trek 200 and the new one is this from Decathlon.

It doesn't have a floor to the porch like the old one but I've got Ortlieb panniers so it doesn't really matter.

I've also got a wee Lidl tent that's only 1.5kg but it's single skin so condensation aplenty and one enters at the end rather than the side so as to get completely covered in said condensation.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #1581 on: 16 September, 2020, 09:48:13 am »
Huel have brought out a 'hot and savoury' range of dehydrated, nutritious meals comprising tomato and basil and thai green curry, both vegan.

As I prefer just to carry a Jetboil for cooking this is interesting, especially as we're not as keen on going to the pub while camping as we once were.

Major downside is the minimum order is much more than I'd like, but we already get through a fair amount of the milkshake mix blended with fruit for breakfast (and occasionally lunch) and early reviews are favourable so I've taken a risk and added some to our next order. If it is edible it will be about a third of the cost of Firepot meals (which are very good, but not cheap either).

« Reply #1582 on: 21 September, 2020, 02:47:34 pm »
Huel have brought out a 'hot and savoury' range of dehydrated, nutritious meals comprising tomato and basil and thai green curry, both vegan.

As I prefer just to carry a Jetboil for cooking this is interesting, especially as we're not as keen on going to the pub while camping as we once were.

Major downside is the minimum order is much more than I'd like, but we already get through a fair amount of the milkshake mix blended with fruit for breakfast (and occasionally lunch) and early reviews are favourable so I've taken a risk and added some to our next order. If it is edible it will be about a third of the cost of Firepot meals (which are very good, but not cheap either).

It's arrived and we've tested both flavours.

In terms of taste, it's ok. The thai green curry was ok on its own, the tomato and basil was too bland for us so we stirred a spoon of marmite in to give it a bit of oomph. It's pretty filling stuff.

We'll definitely be taking it camping as it's perfect Jetboil food and it's good to know it's nutritionally complete as this can be hard when camping. Just have to decant the right amount into a ziplock bag.

I'd probably also have it if I was too tired to pull together a decent meal at home/didn't have much in.

« Reply #1583 on: 28 September, 2020, 08:22:13 pm »
Darn.  I wish they did sample packs.  I'd like to try both, but after barely making it through a bag of berry and another one of coffee, I’m just not that brave.  Banana and mint chocolate are both fine, though, and I’ll try the coffee caramel flavour with my next order.

« Reply #1584 on: 29 September, 2020, 09:45:22 am »
They're a very different proposition from the milkshakes. Husband hoovers them up although he's not fussy. We both think they're good for when one of us is out and the other can't be arsed to cook a proper meal for one.

Want me to post you a portion of each in a ziplock bag?

Took them camping this weekend. You do ideally need a container with a lid/some kind of cover to keep them warm while they rehydrate. If you make the minimum order Huel send you a free plastic cup with a lid, but my collapsible bowls from Alpkit have lids and are better suited to being squashed in a pannier.

« Reply #1585 on: 29 September, 2020, 11:13:15 am »
PHD have their autumn sale if anyone's feeling spendy:

https://www.phdesigns.co.uk/sales-and-special-offers

It's quality kit but I've never managed to justify the cost.

« Reply #1586 on: 25 December, 2020, 09:41:21 pm »
Over the summer I took grandsons out for some cycle rides - the youngest still on a trailerbike.

The previous summer holiday, they really enjoyed camping out in the garden for a couple of nights with me.

In the hope that the world will soon return to relative normallity, I have picked up a few bargains over the autumn from the local facebook market place.

So far:

2 new, unused inflateable camping mats
1 new, unused 2/3 season sleeping bag (American Ozark trail brand)
1 lightly used Softie Merlin 3 lightweight sleeping bag
1 lightly used Summit 300XL oversized sleeping bag

Total spend: £15...  :o
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #1587 on: 28 December, 2020, 04:11:47 pm »
After a few years of a search running on ebay my Fell Club magazine arrived a couple of weeks ago and there was the tent I have been looking for in the sales. A MiniPeak Luxe with the silnylon outer.
My favourite tent now 700 grams lighter.

Never knowingly under caffeinated

« Reply #1588 on: 30 December, 2020, 10:58:59 am »
After a few years of a search running on ebay my Fell Club magazine arrived a couple of weeks ago and there was the tent I have been looking for in the sales. A MiniPeak Luxe with the silnylon outer.
My favourite tent now 700 grams lighter.

Excellent!
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #1589 on: 02 March, 2021, 09:44:48 pm »
Ordered today, but arriving tomorrow, a footprint for my new tent as on its test pitch in the living room I felt the groundsheet was a little thinner than I'd like.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #1590 on: 04 March, 2021, 02:46:03 pm »
Work (school) had a number of large screen interactive boards (effectively 65" or 75" tablets) fitted, to replace projectors and screens. I nabbed a couple of the metallised bags from the packaging and cut one good side out, which is a suitable size for a footprint for a couple of my tents.

It is quite tough yet folds down about as small as a Spaceblanket, so fits in the bag with the tent.

I've used it a few times - they are fine as a footprint, but I'm undecided as to whether there is any reflected heat benefit, as I was hoping for.

« Reply #1591 on: 03 April, 2021, 08:50:42 pm »
After watching a youtube video, I bought a cheap hammock and tarp to try (a tad over £20 with discount code).  ::-)

I now realise that I am miles from any suitable trees to try it out, here in the middle of the 'kin Fens.  :facepalm:

I suspect I'm headed down a rabbit hole of 'do I need an underquilt'/'it needs more attachment points on the tarp'/'more cordage or poles to hold the bug net up'...   :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

I've already put better slings & pegs with it, from bits I already had.  :smug:

« Reply #1592 on: 02 May, 2021, 06:15:23 pm »
Bought:
Two Trekology UL80 sleeping mats. First impressions are VERY comfortable - even my good lady who is very fussy about beds has had a kip on it and given it the thumbs up.
A bamboo fibre towel. 160x80cm 220g! I already have a microfibre towel but needed another for the missus. Saw the bamboo fibre and thought I'd give it a go as we're trying to get away from plastics. I was sceptical when it arrived as it is thin and appears to weight nothing. However I've tested it at home and it has no problem drying me rapidly and it dries quickly. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B087D5K9VT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
These will get properly tested in three weeks time when we're off for a few days camping in the Dales on the tandem. I'll report back.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #1593 on: 02 May, 2021, 09:22:56 pm »
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #1594 on: 03 May, 2021, 10:01:26 am »
Bought:
Two Trekology UL80 sleeping mats. First impressions are VERY comfortable - even my good lady who is very fussy about beds has had a kip on it and given it the thumbs up.
A bamboo fibre towel. 160x80cm 220g! I already have a microfibre towel but needed another for the missus. Saw the bamboo fibre and thought I'd give it a go as we're trying to get away from plastics. I was sceptical when it arrived as it is thin and appears to weight nothing. However I've tested it at home and it has no problem drying me rapidly and it dries quickly. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B087D5K9VT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
These will get properly tested in three weeks time when we're off for a few days camping in the Dales on the tandem. I'll report back.

Ooh - what’s the R-value on the sleeping mat?
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #1595 on: 03 May, 2021, 10:54:59 am »
Bought:

Ooh - what’s the R-value on the sleeping mat?
The blurb says "It is a perfect mat for 3 seasons. The estimated R-value is around 1.6 to 2, with the exact value varies by measurement". There are lots of Youtube reviews which are very favourable but generally state that it isn't a winter mat. I've also bought a pair of Highlander reflective mats to go underneath at 100g a piece. I think this is a good idea not only for extra insulation but also for added protection against anything damaging the mat. So not the lightest set up but at my age I value a good night's sleep very highly and will sacrifice a bit of weight to achieve it.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1596 on: 03 May, 2021, 12:34:53 pm »

« Reply #1597 on: 04 May, 2021, 01:13:03 am »
https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/equipment-c3/sleeping-mats-c58/ultralight-airbeds-c138/inertia-x-lite-short-mat-p1315

175 grams, lots of holes, very light indeed. We'll see................

I'm shivering just looking at the photo.
I think the idea is that your down bag expands downwards and fills the holes with insulation.

As a fairly mobile non-back sleeper, I can't see it working for me.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #1598 on: 04 May, 2021, 12:12:41 pm »
I think the idea is that your down bag expands downwards and fills the holes with insulation.
The impression I have is that the thing goes inside the sleeping bag, which helps protect it from SHARP THINGS and the holes allow the bag to expend upwards, which TBH sounds bonkers to me but as its role in life is for me to carry it in a rucksack while i walk across Spain, where I hope it will be warm and I'll not use it every night, maybe once or twice a week, I'm OK with it. I'll try to remember not to forget to remind myself to report back here.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1599 on: 04 May, 2021, 12:17:55 pm »
Speaking of being cold, I recently invested in one of these:  https://alpkit.com/products/cloud-nine

Strictly a summer camping and indoors proposition.  One day I hope to have an opportunity to use it.  If nothing else, it'll prolong the life of my much-loved and extremely discontinued Mountain Equipment Dreamcatcher.