Author Topic: New use for an old Macbook  (Read 1114 times)

New use for an old Macbook
« on: 12 October, 2018, 11:16:41 am »
I have a 2008 MacBook which has been working fine, given that it cannot be updated beyond OSX Lion. I wondered if it is worth trying to install Linux on it. I have read somewhere that old Macs are quite good at running Linux, is this true? If so, where should I start? Which version of Linux is best trying first for a newbie?. This is not for any critical uses, just to learn Linux.
Thanks.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
Re: New use for an old Macbook
« Reply #1 on: 12 October, 2018, 11:49:49 am »
Linux will run on any computer. How well it runs is often down to the availability of the right drivers. However, for an older machine that's very unlikely to be a problem.

I'd go for Mint (it's what I run on my own computer), but Ubuntu and Fedora are also worth considering. The difference between them is the way software packages are installed but I've no experience of the latter so can't make a qualified comment beyond that. Suffice it to say that what we now know as an "app store" was essentially invented by the Linux/FOSS community and both Mint/Ubuntu (they share a common core) and Fedora essentially work in the same way.

You can download a live image (approx 2GB) and boot it from a USB stick to demo a fully working system prior to installation. When you do install, definitely create a separate partition for your home directory. You can then completely wipe the system and install another without affecting any of your user files or settings.
Pen Pusher

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #2 on: 12 October, 2018, 03:27:46 pm »
I have a 2008 MacBook which has been working fine, given that it cannot be updated beyond OSX Lion. I wondered if it is worth trying to install Linux on it. I have read somewhere that old Macs are quite good at running Linux, is this true? If so, where should I start? Which version of Linux is best trying first for a newbie?. This is not for any critical uses, just to learn Linux.
Thanks.

Will go to os x el capitan....

« Reply #3 on: 12 October, 2018, 04:17:55 pm »
Not this model. Early 2008 white MacBook. Later 2008 models can be updated but not this one.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo