Author Topic: What's your Eddington number ?  (Read 104654 times)

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
Re: What's your Eddington number ?
« Reply #225 on: 23 August, 2015, 09:43:29 am »
If you start off riding 25 milers. Complete 25 of them and you’ve got an Eddington of 25.

To get to a 26 Eddington, you CAN’T use any of the 25 mile rides you’ve already done, so you’re committed to ride 26 more rides of 26 miles each.
To get to 27, you’re in the same predicament as you were when you finished your 25th ride of 25 miles and decided you want an Eddington of 26.

No kidding  :facepalm: but does anyone really ride like that?

Er ...  :facepalm: I am that sad person. When a I discovered Eddington I made the decision: no more rides, ever, between 100k and 102miles, and I've more or less stuck to it

But that's not what he's suggesting. To use your numbers as an example... When you get to 102 miles, do you stop and get a taxi home because you don't want to do a ride which might count for an Eddington number of 103 before you get your E up to 102?

« Reply #226 on: 23 August, 2015, 04:54:46 pm »
If you start off riding 25 milers. Complete 25 of them and you’ve got an Eddington of 25.

To get to a 26 Eddington, you CAN’T use any of the 25 mile rides you’ve already done, so you’re committed to ride 26 more rides of 26 miles each.
To get to 27, you’re in the same predicament as you were when you finished your 25th ride of 25 miles and decided you want an Eddington of 26.

No kidding  :facepalm: but does anyone really ride like that?

Er ...  :facepalm: I am that sad person. When a I discovered Eddington I made the decision: no more rides, ever, between 100k and 102miles, and I've more or less stuck to it

But that's not what he's suggesting. To use your numbers as an example... When you get to 102 miles, do you stop and get a taxi home because you don't want to do a ride which might count for an Eddington number of 103 before you get your E up to 102?

The behaviour I was confessing to (with tongue moderately in cheek) was

"To get a really big Eddington number several decades in the future, build up distance as fast as you can, riding as far as you can and keep doing that.  Don’t mess about riding short rides over and over. Increase your distance up to 400 km randos and keep doing them until you have got 250 of them.  You are on a thirty five to forty year quest."

I've set myself a target of E100+ and now keep riding to that as a minimum for a medium-to-long ride. However, I still ride audaxes of all lengths at least twice per month.

Eddington Number = 132

« Reply #227 on: 26 August, 2015, 08:14:32 pm »
A 300 DIY at the start of the month plus PBP pushed my imperial Eddington number up to 142. The metric version is at 205 now.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #228 on: 26 August, 2015, 09:42:32 pm »
A 300 DIY at the start of the month plus PBP pushed my imperial Eddington number up to 142. The metric version is at 205 now.

Chapeau Ivo.  At my rate of progress I should reach 142 by about 2025.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #229 on: 27 August, 2015, 09:38:24 am »

Respect.  :thumbsup:

( Did someone mention the world record? If one exists? )

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #230 on: 27 August, 2015, 10:58:33 pm »
I would imagine that one Kurt Searvogel must be a prime candidate for a WREN.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #231 on: 27 August, 2015, 11:54:20 pm »
I would imagine that one Kurt Searvogel must be a prime candidate for a WREN.

His Eddington for this year alone should be near 200

« Reply #232 on: 28 August, 2015, 08:57:46 am »
Well now, with a bit of planning, Kurt might ride 200 steady 200s and the remaining days 190something, while Steve rides 220 long 220s with the remaining days 180somethings.

« Reply #233 on: 30 August, 2015, 05:52:16 pm »
My Eddington obsession just ramped up a further notch as I gave in to the temptation to calculate all my annual Es as well as my overall E (overall E=84 with 2015 E=57). Is there an Eddington Anon meeting I could go to to break this habit?
Eddington Number = 132

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #234 on: 31 August, 2015, 12:37:30 am »
My Eddington obsession just ramped up a further notch as I gave in to the temptation to calculate all my annual Es as well as my overall E (overall E=84 with 2015 E=57). Is there an Eddington Anon meeting I could go to to break this habit?

It's held on Eddington Hill on the number of minutes equal to your imperial Eddington number after a blue moon.  But not in leap years.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #235 on: 31 August, 2015, 09:20:24 am »

It's held on Eddington Hill on the number of minutes equal to your imperial Eddington number after a blue moon.  But not in leap years.

Ah, of course. Hence the Audax anthem "I'll find my thrill on Eddington Hill"
Eddington Number = 132

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #236 on: 07 September, 2015, 01:27:46 am »
One of the fiendish things about Eddington numbers is how hard it is to plan when they go up.  No Eddington Hill special for reaching 113, a couple of permanents in North Carolina this weekend meant that the number crept up to 113 without aiming to do so.  4 more rides are required for 114 so that will be next year some time.

simonp

« Reply #237 on: 07 September, 2015, 11:04:52 am »
I should work it out properly and maintain a spreadsheet. Veloviewer claims it's about 80 but this is too low as my Strava only goes back so far. In reality it's probably now around 120.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #238 on: 07 September, 2015, 11:14:35 am »
86 (it's probably a bit more but I know I've done 86 rides of >100 miles).

I'd like to ride 100 rides of >100 miles.  That is an RRTY and a bit away, and maybe the post PBP challenge I'm looking for.

Realistically It would be very hard for me to get beyond 125 as most of my longer rides are 200km Audax rides (125-130 miles typically).

There's a bit of a wilderness between 128 and 186 miles (when my few 300km Audax rides kick in) and I don't have any plans to start riding 186 * 300km Audaxes any time soon.

Anyone with a E=186 will be a bit of a legend (Steve Abraham must be running it close if he hasn't already done it)
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #239 on: 07 September, 2015, 09:03:05 pm »
One of the fiendish things about Eddington numbers is how hard it is to plan when they go up.  No Eddington Hill special for reaching 113, a couple of permanents in North Carolina this weekend meant that the number crept up to 113 without aiming to do so.  4 more rides are required for 114 so that will be next year some time.

In a pleasing bit of synchronicity when I complete my next 85+ mile ride (prob Saturday) each of my imperial, metric and annual Eddington numbers will go up by 1
Eddington Number = 132

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #240 on: 08 September, 2015, 03:21:01 am »
I am looking for that magical day early next year when I ride my 500th 100km ride and so can claim E500 in furlongs.  The current tally is 477.

« Reply #241 on: 08 September, 2015, 03:27:39 pm »
Not sure if this has already been mentioned.

Is there a website that calculates your metric score?

« Reply #242 on: 13 September, 2015, 04:13:48 pm »

I'm getting my figures from VeloViewer but it sounds like their calculations are disputed.

« Reply #243 on: 13 September, 2015, 04:36:26 pm »

I'm getting my figures from VeloViewer but it sounds like their calculations are disputed.

Your personal spreadsheet might be a lot more accurate.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #244 on: 13 September, 2015, 05:16:38 pm »
Your cycling Eddington number is 40.

According to your Strava data, you've cycled 40+ miles on 40 different days.

To reach an Eddington number of 45, you need 14 more rides of 45+ miles.
To reach an Eddington number of 50, you need 22 more rides of 50+ miles.
To reach an Eddington number of 60, you need 38 more rides of 60+ miles.

Yay!

« Reply #245 on: 15 September, 2015, 05:02:45 pm »

I don't have a personal spreadsheet (and wouldn't remember to update it if I did have one).

« Reply #246 on: 15 September, 2015, 10:01:07 pm »

I don't have a personal spreadsheet (and wouldn't remember to update it if I did have one).

You only have to update it when you do a ride which is over your Eddington number ;).

« Reply #247 on: 16 September, 2015, 08:09:24 am »
For the first year ever I have an annual Eddington number in the 60s (OK, exactly 60). Only two more rides to get it to 62, but then I pay the price for too often climbing off as soon as I hit 100k and will need a further 11 to get to 63.
Eddington Number = 132

« Reply #248 on: 17 September, 2015, 02:41:39 pm »

You only have to update it when you do a ride which is over your Eddington number ;).

You over-estimate my ability to remember to do things ;)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #249 on: 17 September, 2015, 09:07:48 pm »
For the first year ever I have an annual Eddington number in the 60s (OK, exactly 60). Only two more rides to get it to 62, but then I pay the price for too often climbing off as soon as I hit 100k and will need a further 11 to get to 63.

I know the feeling.  I took forever to get from 100 to 101 to 102.  I am now in a period of slow progression until about 5 years time when I hit 125, after which forward progress will be glacial.  Eddington was a hard taskmaster. 

Interestingly enough Eddington is getting a bit of a renaissance as a physicist as well, based on my recent reading of an article in the Economist which was reappraising some of his ideas vis a vis Enstein.