Author Topic: What's your Eddington number ?  (Read 104619 times)

Re: What's your Eddington number ?
« Reply #275 on: 11 December, 2015, 08:50:37 pm »
Out of curiosity I searched on Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E_number#E100.E2.80.93E199_.28colours.29
to see what my E-number (food additives) my Eddington Number coincided with.  Sadly there isn't anything until I get to E120 - Cochineal.  However you could have the equivalent of a judo belt system as I discovered they are based on colours:

E100 - 109 Yellow
E110 - 119 Orange
E120 - 129 Red
E130 - 139 Blue
E140 - 149 Green
E150 - 159 Brown/Black
E160 - 199 Gold

Tarzan and Teethgrinder, who are in the E200+ range unfortunately have entered the world of preservatives.

And to think I worry about the extent of my E obsession  :facepalm:
Eddington Number = 132

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #276 on: 11 December, 2015, 08:56:57 pm »
That spectrum suits me. Red is my favourite colour!
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #277 on: 12 December, 2015, 04:58:07 pm »

« Reply #278 on: 05 January, 2016, 12:30:29 pm »
Dilemma.

My running Eddington Number is 15.  If I went out for a 32 mile run (as I attempted over Christmas but cut it short at 18 because I was feeling really ropey), could that legitimately count twice towards 16?  Would I have to stop running at 16 miles, stand about for a couple of seconds, then start running again?  My wife says that she would only count it once...

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #279 on: 05 January, 2016, 12:46:40 pm »
Dilemma.

My running Eddington Number is 15.  If I went out for a 32 mile run (as I attempted over Christmas but cut it short at 18 because I was feeling really ropey), could that legitimately count twice towards 16?  Would I have to stop running at 16 miles, stand about for a couple of seconds, then start running again?  My wife says that she would only count it once...

Nope, I wouldn't count it twice. Sorry. It's the number of days you've done n miles, so it'd count as 32. But do it another 31 times... ;-)

Chris N

« Reply #280 on: 05 January, 2016, 01:05:37 pm »
39, but my data only goes back as far as 2013

I think it would go up if I could add by older rides to it.  Must see if I can get the numbers out of BikeJournal.

Chris N

« Reply #281 on: 05 January, 2016, 02:52:28 pm »
From 2007 to the end of 2015, my metric Eddington number is 112 118 and imperial is 89 93. :thumbsup:

[edited to split my 600km + audaxes into individual days.]

« Reply #282 on: 05 January, 2016, 07:15:34 pm »
Dilemma.

Nope, I wouldn't count it twice. Sorry. It's the number of days you've done n miles, so it'd count as 32. But do it another 31 times... ;-)
;D There is not the faintest chance that I will ever achieve an Eddington number greater than 26.

« Reply #283 on: 26 January, 2016, 10:07:31 pm »
It's a start, I suppose...

« Reply #284 on: 27 January, 2016, 04:18:05 am »
 :)

(and the Cateye you passed on to me has done another 11000 miles - thanks!)

« Reply #285 on: 27 January, 2016, 12:28:20 pm »
As canini.me disappeared, I wrote this

http://mcgalliard.org/eddington

Please feel free to have a play, and let me know what you think.

« Reply #286 on: 28 January, 2016, 12:53:24 pm »

Does this do anything different to the veloviewer tool?

« Reply #287 on: 28 January, 2016, 06:48:38 pm »

Well, I really wrote it for fun, I'd wanted to play with Eddington numbers since I first heard of it.  I haven't spent much time on Veloviewer, as I haven't paid for it.  My Eddington number on there, from 25 rides in 2008, when I was working 3km from home, is apparently 4.

So the differences i can see are
  • It's free
  • It works with Endomondo and MyCyclingLog as well as Strava
  • It can split overnight rides

« Reply #288 on: 28 January, 2016, 10:25:53 pm »

Well, I really wrote it for fun, I'd wanted to play with Eddington numbers since I first heard of it.  I haven't spent much time on Veloviewer, as I haven't paid for it.  My Eddington number on there, from 25 rides in 2008, when I was working 3km from home, is apparently 4.

So the differences i can see are
  • It's free
  • It works with Endomondo and MyCyclingLog as well as Strava
  • It can split overnight rides

Well, I've paid for veloviewer for the other things it offers as well, don't use endomondo or mycyclinglog and don't do any overnight rides that I'd want to split… so I'll probably pass, but hope you get the feedback you want off people who'll find it more useful  :thumbsup:

« Reply #289 on: 29 January, 2016, 08:37:06 am »
For the old hands it still has the disadvantage that the pre-GPS rides aren't considered.

« Reply #290 on: 29 January, 2016, 10:00:30 am »
For the old hands it still has the disadvantage that the pre-GPS rides aren't considered.

Well, it does work with MyCyclingLog, which doesn't require GPS.  If your rides are recorded on a spreadsheet (or a text file), it's very easy to upload that to MCL.

But if your rides are recorded on paper, I don't think there is a technological solution for you  :(

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #291 on: 29 January, 2016, 10:28:44 am »
Strava doesn't require GPS

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #292 on: 29 January, 2016, 10:34:31 am »
But does the data spat out by the API (and therefore available to J's tool) include the manually entered rides? I vaguely remember some Strava API tools not including them in their output.

« Reply #293 on: 29 January, 2016, 10:50:47 am »

Well, it does work with MyCyclingLog, which doesn't require GPS.  If your rides are recorded on a spreadsheet (or a text file), it's very easy to upload that to MCL.

But if your rides are recorded on paper, I don't think there is a technological solution for you  :(

Spreadsheet for everything above 200km here. But the data which Still missing a few rides which I once recorded on paper though.

« Reply #294 on: 29 January, 2016, 11:07:31 am »
Spreadsheet for everything above 200km here. But the data which Still missing a few rides which I once recorded on paper though.

https://www.mycyclinglog.com/import.php

It works fine.  It doesn't tell you when it's done (despite saying it will) but it usually only takes a minute or two.  Be careful to get the columns and date format right, as it will work even if they are wrong, just makes a mess of your data, and it's a real pain if it's wrong to delete it all.  I used the wrong date format, and it put a lot of my rides into the future.

But does the data spat out by the API (and therefore available to J's tool) include the manually entered rides? I vaguely remember some Strava API tools not including them in their output.

No, manual rides work fine.  As the strava API no longer gives GPS data, there is no difference between manual and recorded rides as far as the API is concerned.

« Reply #295 on: 31 January, 2016, 07:24:58 pm »

Like it, good fun have manually input rides back to 2012 into mycyclinlogs and it works well E=105 (and maybe higher once I`ve completed all back inputs from spreadsheet)

Thanks  :thumbsup:
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #296 on: 18 March, 2016, 09:59:36 pm »
E = 500f

500th 100km = 500 furlong ride today.  :smug:
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #297 on: 20 March, 2016, 05:10:00 pm »

Like it, good fun have manually input rides back to 2012 into mycyclinlogs and it works well E=105 (and maybe higher once I`ve completed all back inputs from spreadsheet)

Thanks  :thumbsup:

Now I`ve gone right back thro records I have am on E =117
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #298 on: 30 March, 2016, 07:31:33 am »
Mine is three, not bad after three and a half off the bike :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #299 on: 30 March, 2016, 08:22:48 am »
My 200km DIY on Good Friday took me to 89, and still on target for E = 100 by the end of the year. There may not be a badge, but I shall sure as hell be getting myself a t-shirt.
Eddington Number = 132