Author Topic: Mersey Roads 24 Hour 2015 (July 18/19)  (Read 14390 times)

rob

Re: Mersey Roads 24 Hour 2015 (July 18/19)
« Reply #50 on: 18 July, 2015, 09:46:08 pm »
Will probably have another go next year.   I have made some gains this year that can hopefully be built on over this Winter.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
Re: Mersey Roads 24 hour TT 2015
« Reply #51 on: 19 July, 2015, 07:55:58 pm »
Going from here:

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=91987.msg1892625#msg1892625

That's a huge number up front - 4 miles down on Wilko's record?

Amazing in what don't sound like easy conditions.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #52 on: 19 July, 2015, 08:44:20 pm »
And everyone said the Sussex course was much faster ;)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #53 on: 20 July, 2015, 12:35:36 am »
An interesting day out. For us, a lot of it was a technical test for PBP filming, but I suspect that there's a very interesting story to be told from what we got at the 24.

It was great that George Berwick finished, although his tandem partner was sidelined with sciatica, that Mem Sec rode 312 km, and that Teethgrinder was able to connect with riders who can fully comprehend what he's going through.

When I left, Steve was chatting with Andy Wilkinson about training regimes.

« Reply #54 on: 20 July, 2015, 12:52:10 am »
Perhaps 312 miles?

« Reply #55 on: 20 July, 2015, 08:28:26 am »
Perhaps 312 miles?

Indeed!  I'm so close to my age-standard (312.44) and to 5 AUK points that I'm anxiously awaiting the official result.  I was using 0.6 as the mile/kilometre conversion, giving me 312.50 miles for 500km, but using 0.62137 means I only need 310.68 miles for those 5 points.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #56 on: 20 July, 2015, 08:48:45 am »
Well that was fun. Wouldn't have liked to do it without support though. I really slowed down on the second night circuit so had a 20' sleep and was motoring along again afterwards. A puncture with an hour to go put paid to a possible 600km ride thoguh.

I loved the verbal support and applause you get from all the other support teams and marshals. There was one chap at Tern Hill that made an effort to use my name as he cheered me on, he wouldn't have known me from Adam so I suspect he did that for everyone going past! Andy Wilkinson possibly?

« Reply #57 on: 20 July, 2015, 08:54:19 am »
A tough day/night/day.
My head wasn't in it at all for the first 100km. Here's where having support is important - I would have probably bailed, but didn't want the guilt of having wasted my crew's weekend and so pushed on.
Once I realised that I was up on my schedule I felt a bit more motivated.
I was the minute man to the eventual winner and it didn't take long for him to devour me (the first of many times).

It was fairly windy especially down at the Southern end of the Prees circuit on the Saturday, the wind dropped at night, but reappeared with a vengeance on Sunday.
When it got dark I was able to pick up the speed and had a good run for a few hours. It rained from 03:00 to 08:00 as per the forecast. Despite it not being very cold the wind chill was substantial.
Not very nice on the A41 with big trucks thundering past throwing up spray.

On Sunday morning my neck started to give up. First time this has ever happened to me. Proper Shermer's Neck. Not particularly painful, My muscles just refused to respond to pick my head up.
I ditched the helmet and switch to a road bike. By the time I got to finishing circuit I had one arm on the TT bars, an elbow on the other pad and my hand holding up my chin. This provided good comedic for the crowds outside the HQ.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #58 on: 20 July, 2015, 09:50:21 am »
A puncture with an hour to go put paid to a possible 600km ride thoguh.

&^%$!  That's frustrating I have no doubt!

A tough day/night/day.

Sounds like you had a tough time of everything, but came up trumps with a massive mileage - well done indeed!

I'm so close to my age-standard (312.44) and to 5 AUK points that I'm anxiously awaiting the official result.

I spent a few worrying days in a similar position after the ESCA last year.  My GPS etc. said I had done my target (just), but until it is confirmed officially, it is anxious for sure!  Fingers crossed!
Right! What's next?

« Reply #59 on: 20 July, 2015, 09:57:08 am »
Not very nice on the A41 with big trucks thundering past throwing up spray.

Not a nice road full stop!  Many local cyclists avoid it and over the last couple of years it has seemed to get busier with even larger lorries using it during the weekends.  Weekday use is just suicidal IMO.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #60 on: 20 July, 2015, 10:24:40 am »
Good work by toby, 428 miles on the provisional result.

Shows that it was a good year that this didn't even get top ten

There were two people with over 500

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #61 on: 20 July, 2015, 10:59:00 am »
<...>
On Sunday morning my neck started to give up. First time this has ever happened to me. Proper Shermer's Neck. Not particularly painful, My muscles just refused to respond to pick my head up.
I ditched the helmet and switch to a road bike. By the time I got to finishing circuit I had one arm on the TT bars, an elbow on the other pad and my hand holding up my chin. This provided good comedic for the crowds outside the HQ.

top effort there Matt! re shermer's neck - it must be the weight of beard.. :D

« Reply #62 on: 20 July, 2015, 11:17:34 am »
Good work by toby, 428 miles on the provisional result.

Shows that it was a good year that this didn't even get top ten

There were two people with over 500

I'd say that many distances were slightly down on most years. Michael Broadwith said that he actually liked the cool wet conditions overnight, he rode 537.35, for a new comp record. Stuart Birnie rode in the same general range that he has in recent years. Alex Kirk had a puncture early on, and lost about half an hour, so he was playing catch-up after dominating in the first few hours.

« Reply #63 on: 20 July, 2015, 11:18:27 am »
<...>

I guess this rules me out of RAAM! Bit surprised I couldn't even last 24hrs. I did previous 24s on a road bike with clip-on aero bars. My TT bike position is quite a bit more aggressive.
The winner Michael Broadwidth looked very good on the bike - perfectly flat back.

rob

« Reply #64 on: 20 July, 2015, 11:27:14 am »
<...>

I guess this rules me out of RAAM! Bit surprised I couldn't even last 24hrs. I did previous 24s on a road bike with clip-on aero bars. My TT bike position is quite a bit more aggressive.
The winner Michael Broadwidth looked very good on the bike - perfectly flat back.

Same thing happened to me on last year's ESCA.   My previous races had all been on bike with a higher position, but my neck failed on that one with 2-3hrs to go.   As you say there's no pain, you just suddenly find yourself staring at the tarmac.

I've spent more time on the TT bike this year and put it on the turbo over the Winter with a view to getting more used to the extreme position.   It worked on the 12hr I did recently where I was more comfortable so will do the same this Winter.

« Reply #65 on: 20 July, 2015, 11:39:31 am »
Didn't hang around for final result, but I should be about 412 miles.

I set out with a target of 400, and my plan showed an outcome of 414, so very happy with the final result.

Weather was far from perfect - too much wind for most of the day, rained for about 4 hours during the night, but at least sunshine at the finish.

There were some big distances on the day - I believe there were at least two 500+ (one might be a new course record).

My 412 breaks the existing club record, however there were two of us from the club taking part, and he did about 20 miles more - great result for the club - slowly I am spreading the message that 400 and 600 Audax rides are great training for 12 and 24 hour TTs.

Had my road bike in standby because I didn't think I'd be able to withstand 24 hours on my TT bike.  I wouldn't say it was comfortable, but I did survive the distance on the TT bike.

Enjoyed the whole thing a lot more than I thought I would.  Great to see many familiar Audax faces.  And as others have said it is amazing to be cheered on by lots of total strangers. 

My family support crew did really well - they based themselves at Press Island, and were always on standby to drive out to me if I needed them (thankfully not needed).  During night time the loop is about 2 hours, so they get the chance of two or three 1.5 hour naps.

For me this was on my bucket list to do it (and get 400+), so not sure I'll be back for another go, but never say never.

I would thoroughly recommend this event to anyone that enjoys doing 600s and finds that they can cope with little or no sleep on these events.
37.9 miles from Marsh Gibbon

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #66 on: 20 July, 2015, 01:05:18 pm »
Perhaps 312 miles?

Indeed!  I'm so close to my age-standard (312.44) and to 5 AUK points that I'm anxiously awaiting the official result.  I was using 0.6 as the mile/kilometre conversion, giving me 312.50 miles for 500km, but using 0.62137 means I only need 310.68 miles for those 5 points.

Results are up
http://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/event/787

You made your age standard! Well done!

Right! What's next?

simonp

« Reply #67 on: 20 July, 2015, 01:11:51 pm »
I needed more miles in position. Neck was very sore after just 6 hours. By the morning I was seeing double when riding in position. Will have to ride some shorter events next year.

The traffic was bad at times. On the way up to the finishing circuit a van overtook me really wide. So a car undertook it at speed at the same time. Lots of undipped headlights at night.

The support was great. Nice to get shouts of encouragement from both the roadside and other riders and I got my bottles filled at Prees by another rider's crew. I heard that more than 30 packed and I was certainly tempted at a couple of low points.

If I ever do this again it will be with fatter tyres at a lower pressure.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #68 on: 20 July, 2015, 01:13:41 pm »
Perhaps 312 miles?

Results are up
http://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/event/787

You made your age standard! Well done!

I can't see Teethgrinder on that list.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

simonp

« Reply #69 on: 20 July, 2015, 01:23:34 pm »
Looks like they've credited me with far more miles than I did. Probably double counted loops of the Quina Brook circuit when I had something to eat. I recorded 479km from Hq to start and final timekeeper.

« Reply #70 on: 20 July, 2015, 02:35:10 pm »
This makes my eyes water:
Wheels of Fire's 24 stats
Incredible!

« Reply #71 on: 20 July, 2015, 02:56:31 pm »
Well, we see how he managed it.
(click to show/hide)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #72 on: 20 July, 2015, 02:57:55 pm »
Bugger! fboab beat me to it chiz.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #73 on: 20 July, 2015, 03:08:56 pm »
Well, we see how he managed it.
(click to show/hide)

Nope, it was because I was wearing orange socks  :)

« Reply #74 on: 20 July, 2015, 03:14:22 pm »
However you managed it, bloody well done!