Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 520961 times)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
I regard myself as a bit of a pizza snob, having built a wood-fired oven and making overnight Poolish or levain-based doughs which make most excellent pizzas.

But I'm going to disagree with the comments regarding the major commercial outlets.

Pizza covers a wide range of different things, and you can't compare them directly. Each has it's own time and place. I have time for Dominos, and I have time for Pizza Hut. Pizza Hut is a totally different thing: a Deep-pan pizza. It's not comparable to flat-baked pizza, and has it's own place in the ranks of dirty pizza.

Yes, I have a ranking for commercial pizza, and I think Pizza Express is a decent source of sustenance on an evening out, and on an audax. Dominos works for a short-notice arrival of a horde of hungry PSOs. Pizza hut, not been there for a long time now but as I say, a different thing which can have it's place and I would not refuse at need.

The common factor is that the tomato sauce is not so much sweet, but salty: heavily seasoned with garlic salt. This results in a 'pizza thirst' an hour or so later.

Popped into Lidl yesterday.  Noticed empty crisp shelves, & very little cooking oil.  'parently Walkers swapping to rapeseed oil.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Plenty of oilseed rape flowering in the western parts of the Midlands right now. (I like it, it smells of summer! Sorry if it sets off your allergies.)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Mrs B and I have always had this joke when we're cooking.  One of us will hold up a spud (should we be using rhem) and cry, "ere! This potato's got no instructions on it."
Well, OMFG, I noticed tonight that the bag of reds I'd bought actually did have instructions.
WTF has happened to this country?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Yes, but were they correct?

Basil

• Help me!
I've been boiling them in water for 20-25 mins, as instructed, and they still don't look very roasted.

Insert baked potato joke here
(click to show/hide)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
I've been boiling them in water for 20-25 mins, as instructed, and they still don't look very roasted.

(click to show/hide)
There's another joak waiting to be made in there
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

(click to show/hide)

The only "baked" potatoes I've done that too aren't baked, they're microwaved.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Bought the first British asparagus of the season yesterday.  Looking forward to the local stuff coming in in a couple ofd weeks. And had the first Jersey's of the season last week.  Amd a bonis, my wife met a friend in the local town for coffee, and before coming home bought me some Picos de Europa, Bleu d'Auvergne and Comte.

ETA and some Red Storm - which is apparently a red leicester from Snowdonia. New one on me.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Turned the bottom of a Le Crueset saucepan from a horrible brown mess (gah, shitty electric hob) into a lovely smooth clean non mess.
Shame the same trick didn't work on the Dutch oven I use for baking bread but I think that's just colour from the heat.

In other good news, all being well I'll only have to use the Shit Cooker for another week (just 3 cooks)...
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ian

I asked Google where I could buy candlenuts. It said 'South-East Asia' which wasn't very helpful. I was hoping for somewhere in Croydon.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2005/09/05/the-egg-men

A long but fascinating article about short order cooks in Las Vegas.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
If they are the egg-men, who's the walrus?

[“Get out!” – Ed.]
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
It may look like parmesan and it may smell like old socks parmesan but according to the label it’s “dried grated hard cheese” ???  What fresh hell is this?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I think Parmesan is a restricted term.
We've had Mr Sainsbury's Italian Grated Hard Cheese in 80g drums on our Bolognese, for many years. Seems OK for us and not too pricy.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
It's been an age since I bought any Sock Cheese but the last time I did it was definitely parmesan.  I blame Thatcher Brexit ;)

Parmesan is PDO, so has to come from a specific area of Italy. And has to be made with rennet from a calf's stomach, so there's no such thing as vegetarian Parmesan.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
It's been an age since I bought any Sock Cheese but the last time I did it was definitely parmesan.  I blame Thatcher Brexit ;)

You could probably get away with using dehydrated puke, oh Captain Mercaptan.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ian

Reminds me of the olden days, there'd always be a tube of decade-old grated 'parmesan' in the cupboard that smelled vaguely of sick and despair. One of the components was probably the dried tears of an Italian family who'd been told what it was.

I had assumed it had gone the way of time now supermarkets sell actual parmesan that tastes like cheese rather than depressed grit.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Mr Sainsbury’s House of Toothy Comestibles does sell something described as “shaved parmesan”, which sounds irredeemably panny.  I expect that when Jacob Grease Smugg claimed parmesan would be cheaper after Brexit this was the stuff he had in mind.  The great ponce.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
I haz a new oven! \o/
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Hope your new oven brings you joy!

I addressed my unfinished Audax business by having fish and chips at the Mariner's in New Quay, on Monday.
Great VFM! Cod, chips, peas, home-made Tartare sauce, bread & butter + TEA for 4 for £35.80 so left change from 2 x £20 as tip...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Hope your new oven brings you joy! cake!

FTFY ;)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Basil

• Help me!
Hope your new oven brings you joy!

I addressed my unfinished Audax business by having fish and chips at the Mariner's in New Quay, on Monday.
Great VFM! Cod, chips, peas, home-made Tartare sauce, bread & butter + TEA for 4 for £35.80 so left change from 2 x £20 as tip...

One of our regular haunts.  Although we do tend to avoid the coast on Bank Holidays.
Glad you enjoyed.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Place was thronging!

David had a 'Milky Bar Mashup' ice cream cone and went on a boat trip in search of elusive dolphins.

I have advised many of this parish to avoid fish & chips at the Mariners!