Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 520397 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
"riz-oh-to" ::-)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

Missed a trick by not putting the Anglo-Indian fusion egg-fried rice into a toasted sandwich. For intercultural authenticity.

ian

That's the west London pronunciation of risotto.

That said, it's also the Jersey way, though you gotta give it a bit mobster swagger. Jersey Italian is the best Italian there is. My wife used to work in Hackensack, NJ (across the river from Bogata) and one of her colleagues had transferred over from actual Italy.

Witnessing this collision of Italian and Italian-American was epic. She would actually visibly shiver every time someone suggested pizza. Honestly, if someone hasn't turned this kind of thing into TV, I'm claiming the rights.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Missed a trick by not putting the Anglo-Indian fusion egg-fried rice into a toasted sandwich. For intercultural authenticity.

With chips.  Extra points if they’re hand cut, triple-cooked sweet potato chips.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

Truly the most exotic meal of my East Midlands childhood was chips and rice with curry sauce on top. And a potato fritter.

I'm disappointed that I never asked for a buttered cob* to go with it. For double-bonus points, this heavenly carb concoction was only available from the 'Chinky chippy' at Hilltop. This was, hence the dubious name, supposedly run by the Chinese but no one ever saw them. I think the rumour came about because they offered rice and spring rolls. Or possibly that it had a big sign across the front that read CHINKY CHIPPY.

They also had a Defender arcade machine.

*bread roll, for non-locals.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Truly the most exotic meal of my East Midlands childhood was chips and rice with curry sauce on top. And a potato fritter.

I'm disappointed that I never asked for a buttered cob* to go with it. For double-bonus points, this heavenly carb concoction was only available from the 'Chinky chippy' at Hilltop. This was, hence the dubious name, supposedly run by the Chinese but no one ever saw them. I think the rumour came about because they offered rice and spring rolls. Or possibly that it had a big sign across the front that read CHINKY CHIPPY.

They also had a Defender arcade machine.

*bread roll, for non-locals.

One of my most pleasant memories is of a Lincolnshire cob about 4" across filled with corned beef and raw onion, eaten with a pint of Guinness in a cool pub on a blazing hot day when I was hitch-hiking from Somerset to Edinburgh. Sheer delight.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

Oddly, chips don't seem to have made it to India. But the toasted sandwich, made with the crappiest, pappiest, soft white sliced Chorleywood product, oh yes. Though some of the popular fillings might have surprised ian's parents.

Cudzoziemiec

On a different note entirely, China has launched a campaign to crack down on food waste. They're aiming at restaurant ordering, telling people to follow "N-1 ordering". Which means two people should share one dish, very romantic (have they been watching Lady and the Tramp?*). I think the aim of reducing food waste is laudable but I'm not sure about the tactics.

*I think that's the correct Disney film with the spaghetti scene?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Oddly, chips don't seem to have made it to India. But the toasted sandwich, made with the crappiest, pappiest, soft white sliced Chorleywood product, oh yes. Though some of the popular fillings might have surprised ian's parents.

You've put an idea in my head... Has anyone ever tried a Bombay mix* sandwich? I'm thinking it would be a nicely exotic twist on the classic crisp sandwich.

*are we supposed to call it Mumbai mix now?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

Most of Asia seems to love that bread (it's the only bread for a proper milk sandwich).

I've tried a Bombay Mix sandwich – the crispy noodles and lentils are fine, the peanuts too big and wrong though, so have to be removed and individually eaten.

citoyen

I've tried a Bombay Mix sandwich

I should have known!

ian

I'm actually getting sandwich withdrawal. Generally, my peregrinations through the terra incognita of sandwichery accompany her frequent absences to parts foreign. She doesn't quite see my pursuit of bread-based quintessence in the same celestial light as I. When she's away and I can't be bothered cooking I just make a sandwich out of anything I can find and I'm frequently too lazy to go shopping, so any significant absence quickly gets interesting. Bombay Bad Boy pot noodle sandwiches are pure unco (you need to use less water though, the noodles should be juicy – not wet).

We were supposed to be going to SE Asia this month and I was quite excited about introducing her to milk sandwiches. An enthusiasm she didn't seem to be working up to. Of course, I could make one here, just beyond the London Pale, but it wouldn't be the same as munching down on one in Kowloon. Plus you need proper naff bread and I don't have any. White bread, by-the-by, is always sandwidgely preferable to the brown stuff*.

*as a former employee of a flour mill, I can assure you that it's not brown because of all the healthy stuff, it's brown because entire regiments of mice and rats routinely went through the rollers.

Cudzoziemiec

You've put an idea in my head... Has anyone ever tried a Bombay mix* sandwich? I'm thinking it would be a nicely exotic twist on the classic crisp sandwich.

*are we supposed to call it Mumbai mix now?
Mumbai mix has to be Maratha dance music.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
I don't get the current fad for things made with 'Biscoff'. It seems to be everywhere, people are making cakes with it, and even our local diary made some ice cream with it (they are usually quite good at doing proper gelato flavours, not bollocks).
To me it's just a shit biscuit you get free with a cup of hot drink, I don't understand how it's become this cheffy wonder item.  :-\
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I like low-countries spiced biscuits. (They remind me of my late Flemish/Dutch grandmother.) Partner does not.

The spread is meh and the occasional portion in a Graze box is tolerable. It's not attractive in anything else.

My Lotus Biscoff packet has been unopened in the cupboard for several months.

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
Currently harvesting a couple of handfuls of raspberries from the garden each day, and not so easy to eat them all. Ms Marco made a raspberry clafoutis this lunchtime to use up some berries from a couple of days ago. Really good.

Cudzoziemiec

Not so easy to eat a couple of handfuls of raspberries? Does not compute!

citoyen

I’ve been sustaining myself on dog walks in the woods lately by picking off ripe blackberries. Probably getting through a couple of handfuls per walk!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Spatchcocked a chicken yesterday for the first time in my life. Marinated it in honey mustard sauce overnight and roasted it for lunch: rather pleased at the result. To be repeated.

Re: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #3619 on: 10 September, 2020, 08:23:50 am »
The figs on my bush are ripening properly for the first time in ten years!  Two or three coming off each day; omg, they are nommy!  :thumbsup:

Re: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #3620 on: 10 September, 2020, 09:10:38 am »
Currently harvesting a couple of handfuls of raspberries from the garden each day, and not so easy to eat them all. Ms Marco made a raspberry clafoutis this lunchtime to use up some berries from a couple of days ago. Really good.

Raspberries freeze surprisingly well open. They can then be used from the freezer, either in dishes or just as a nommy icy snack.

(Freezer has about 10kg in at the moment.....  ;D )

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3621 on: 10 September, 2020, 07:10:12 pm »
The figs on my bush are ripening properly for the first time in ten years!  Two or three coming off each day; omg, they are nommy!  :thumbsup:

Coo! The figs on the tree next door ripen around the third or fourth week of July.

There's usually a late crop but they seldom ripen.

citoyen

« Reply #3622 on: 10 September, 2020, 07:20:25 pm »
Spatchcocked a chicken yesterday for the first time in my life. Marinated it in honey mustard sauce overnight and roasted it for lunch: rather pleased at the result. To be repeated.
A grown up chicken or a baby one? I’ve only ever spatchcocked poussin and quails, which are both pretty easy.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3623 on: 11 September, 2020, 07:59:29 pm »
Pringles have a new, almost recyclable tube. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-54108336
Kellogg's says its packaging must be airtight, or the food inside will be wasted.
In what way are Pringles not a waste of food or food-like substances anyway?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3624 on: 12 September, 2020, 09:09:22 am »
A grown up chicken or a baby one? I’ve only ever spatchcocked poussin and quails, which are both pretty easy.

Grown-up. Took a bit of extra squeeze to get through the ribs. Kept thinking of Norsemen and blood eagles.  Only trouble was that MrsT is vegetarian so after a couple of outings it was the dogs' turn.

Quail sound like a better idea.  Come to think of it, one of the best meals I ever had was cailles au miel with mousseline gratiné and peas with lardons.