Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 516210 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
No 99s
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57149071

"The crumbly chocolate treat", as the 6music newsreader referred to it in a fit of elegant variation this morning.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
No 99s

I expect Certain So-Called Newspapers will find a way of blaming the Unelected Bureaucrats of BrusselsTM for this outrage.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

Reminds me, a while back I was purchasing a 99 and I wanted sauce on it, and then sprinkles, and then nuts, and the guy in the van said 'no' and that I couldn't have anything but the flake.

I fear they don't understand the customer interaction process. You're not a fucking chef. That said, I ran off, because we know ice cream vans are run by the mafia and they can have you killed just like that.

No 99s

"The crumbly chocolate treat", as the 6music newsreader referred to it in a fit of elegant variation this morning.

They employ a sufficiently aged person on 6music?
I thought they had to be young and hip and stuff...
Oh hang on that'll be a box ticking thing wont it  ;)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Reminds me, a while back I was purchasing a 99 and I wanted sauce on it, and then sprinkles, and then nuts, and the guy in the van said 'no' and that I couldn't have anything but the flake.

I fear they don't understand the customer interaction process. You're not a fucking chef. That said, I ran off, because we know ice cream vans are run by the mafia and they can have you killed just like that.

Serves you right for thinking Glasgow is an appropriate place to eat ice cream.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.

Perhaps not killed but you're not far off: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-48350932
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

I find the concept of ice cream in the frozen wastes of Glasgow uncompelling.

I reckon they're all mafia. It was a known thing when I was a kid. Also, if you were the only kid in the queue, they'd kidnap you.

Anyway, this chap was in Sion Park, and he was adamant that my 99 could only include a flake and absolutely no other adornments. I was willing to pay for them, but no, he refused. Quite bizarre, I think I met the Ice Cream Fascist*.

*probably kin to the Soup Nazi.

citoyen

No 99s

They employ a sufficiently aged person on 6music?
I thought they had to be young and hip and stuff...
Oh hang on that'll be a box ticking thing wont it  ;)

You must be thinking of 1xtra - most of the 6music presenters are well past 40. Although they recently addressed the age balance to a small extent by giving Jamz Supernova (25) a permanent gig to replace Liz Kerrrrshaw (62).

Anyway, news bulletins are outsourced to the news department.

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
I find the concept of ice cream in the frozen wastes of Glasgow uncompelling.

I reckon they're all mafia. It was a known thing when I was a kid. Also, if you were the only kid in the queue, they'd kidnap you.

Anyway, this chap was in Sion Park, and he was adamant that my 99 could only include a flake and absolutely no other adornments. I was willing to pay for them, but no, he refused. Quite bizarre, I think I met the Ice Cream Fascist*.

*probably kin to the Soup Nazi.

I live about 110 miles north of Glasgow, give or take. We have an ice cream van that comes round every Wednesday evening at 8pm, no matter what time of year it is. We have given up commenting on the vendor's optimism.

Apparently he sells a lot of sweets to the local small people.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I think some of those chiming vans sell hot food too.

ian

Until the new pan purchase (this will have its own chapter in my soon to be written memoirs), I'd not really bothered with stainless steel, preferring the convenience of Teflon*. I had an old steel pan with a wobbly handle that didn't encourage usage. I remember things sticking and endless soaking. It was probably just a crap pan, I think it came from the MiL's mother. We have enough crap in the kitchen to cook for fifty.

Now I'm trying it out again. It makes me feel like a proper chef. And nothing really sticks once you get the knack. I also really did need a sauteuse pan.

*which according to the internet, a reliable source of information, will insinuate its way into your food, and one day you'll wake up twenty feet tall and with a brace of tentacles. That's why DuPont also invented lycra, you'll need the stretch after that transition.

ravenbait

I made a Japanese katsu curry the other night, from scratch, using a BBC Good Food recipe.

It was awful.

Now I need to buy a katsu block and find out if I just don't like this genre of food, or if I did it badly.

Sam
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

citoyen

I made a Japanese katsu curry the other night, from scratch, using a BBC Good Food recipe.

It was awful.

Now I need to buy a katsu block and find out if I just don't like this genre of food, or if I did it badly.

Do you have a link to the recipe? I'm intrigued.

I'm a big fan of katsu curry. My own version is admittedly a bit of a shortcut (from memory - cook chopped carrots, onion and ginger until very soft, add curry powder and cook a bit more, add veg/chicken stock, whizz up in the blender until smooth, voila katsu curry sauce) but I find the results quite acceptable. But not as good as the one I used to occasionally get for a lunch treat from the place round the back of Tate Modern when I worked round there.

ravenbait

Do you have a link to the recipe? I'm intrigued.

I'm a big fan of katsu curry. My own version is admittedly a bit of a shortcut (from memory - cook chopped carrots, onion and ginger until very soft, add curry powder and cook a bit more, add veg/chicken stock, whizz up in the food processor until smooth, voila katsu curry sauce) but I find the results quite acceptable. But not as good as the one I used to occasionally get for a lunch treat from the place round the back of Tate Modern when I worked round there.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/you-it-katsu-curry

It was way too sweet and tasted mostly of coconut.

Also, I'm not convinced that breading technique is appropriate for firm tofu.

Sam

citoyen

It was way too sweet and tasted mostly of coconut.

I would definitely leave out the maple syrup. But I tend to ignore any instructions to add sugar in most savoury recipes. It's hardly ever warranted.  :sick:
(Carrots and onions are quite sweet enough without added sugar IMO.)

I do use coconut in mine, now you come to mention it (I've not made it for a while), but I add it in the form of a bit of creamed coconut dissolved into the veg stock. A whole can of coconut milk does sound quite coconutty.

Also, I use LOTS of ginger - but that's a personal preference thing. Definitely helps tip the balance back towards savoury rather than sweet though.

Also, I'm not convinced that breading technique is appropriate for firm tofu.

I've done a vegetarian version of katsu using sweet potato and aubergine, which I reckon worked quite well.

ian

I haven't made katsu for a while, I based mine on a recipe in the NYT (who have excellent recipes, alas paywall) – but it's mostly curry powder, garlic, ginger, onion, carrot, nutmeg, soy sauce, and a dash of coconut cream. I call this 'chip shop curry sauce.' The NYT don't.

It should be a little coconutty, not an entire can. Cook down the carrot, onion, garlic, and ginger (for a good 20-30 minutes on a low heat), add the nutmeg and curry powder, deglaze with soy sauce and stir in the coconut cream (a dash of water or stock as required) and cook till everything is the right consistency. I also rarely bother with added sweet – if you cook down the onions till they're caramelizing, that's sweet enough. I don't blend, I like it lumpy, and the veg bits have mostly broken down. Sometimes, for japes, I throw in some Szechuan pepper. You do need a lot more ginger than you think, it loses its edge when you cook it for a while.

It also works well as a sauce for slow cooked duck or chicken (boned) without the breading. Just do it in a casserole and or pan on a low heat and cook for about two hours until everything is falling apart.

citoyen

I haven't made katsu for a while, I based mine on a recipe in the NYT (who have excellent recipes, alas paywall) – but it's mostly curry powder, garlic, ginger, onion, carrot, nutmeg, soy sauce, and a dash of coconut cream. I call this 'chip shop curry sauce.' The NYT don't.

I forgot the soy sauce - I use that in my version too. I don't use nutmeg though.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Have McVitie's been scrimping on the chocolate coating of Club biscuits?

'If you like a lot of chocolate on your biscuit, join our Club' seems to have worn a bit thin...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Just had a perfect lunch. Nothing exotic, just a steak with shallots and an iceberg salad followed by fresh strawberries from just over the border, then a couple of good ristretti using coffee roasted about two weeks ago. Fresh baguette to mop the plate after the steak.

Is mopping the plate with a bit of bread still considered rude in the UK?  In France you'd be thought mad not to.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Aah my weight loss diet: steak, salad & strawberries - how I SUFFER!

My 'neat eating' at home means ALWAYS using the starch as 'blotting paper'. Prevents waste, reduces washing-up!

citoyen

Is mopping the plate with a bit of bread still considered rude in the UK?  In France you'd be thought mad not to.

It irks me that you still have to *ask* for a spoon for your sauce in English restaurants.

It’s as if they think you don’t actually want the best bit of the meal.

ian

The lack of bread in British restaurants makes me furious. It should just be. A little basket of fresh bread that arrives unrequested and when you empty it they bring more. The only thing that makes me more furious is their attempt to charge me £5 for a couple of pieces with some 'herb butter.'

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
The lack of bread in British restaurants makes me furious. It should just be. A little basket of fresh bread that arrives unrequested and when you empty it they bring more. The only thing that makes me more furious is their attempt to charge me £5 for a couple of pieces with some 'herb butter.'

:thumbsup:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Llanerchindda Farm always has plenty of bread.

Boss informs me he was taught in Catering College to pile in a well-filled bread basket if there was any delay with meal supply to Keep the Customers Quiet. Meals are always served promptly but I'm sure this trick has preserved the Peace of the Nation and the Bosses' Sanity over the years.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Very odd eggs we have at the moment.  The shell is thin and delicate, whereas the membrane below is pretty tough.
Trying to fry an egg this morning, I crack the egg on the side of the pan, as you do.  The shell breaks nicely, but the membrane remains intact.  OK so I try to crack the other side and this time give it more oomf.  Same result.
A third attempt results in all the shell falling off leaving egg in just membrane which is very odd to handle.
The dog says, "Just put that in my bowl and I'll deal with it."  So I do, and she does.
Select next egg and very sharp knife.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.