Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 516040 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
One of the eggs in last week's Sainsbury's order cracked on arrival. As D sometimes handles things roughly, I was disinclined to complain. It was leaking through the cardboard box so I thought I would decant egg into a glass, to be cooked later.
Opened the box and attempted to remove cracked egg. Shell came away in my hands and punctured yolk.
Decided egg was beyond redemption. Removed other 11 eggs and put into handy egg holders in fridge door.
Tipped egg down sink & chucked soggy box.

That broken egg shell was VERY thin & fragile!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Kim usually cooks rice properly

Lies!  I usually cook rice the way my mother did, in the Traditional British Manner.  Rice doesn't actually care how you cook it, as long as you know when to stop.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
I actually managed to undercook rice the other day. No idea how - just distracted, I think. Unfortunately, I didn't check it before serving, by which time it was smothered in curry sauce... not pleasant. Had to chew my way through hard, chalky grains... I'll probably die.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

There's no probably to it.

This why getting the water right is a good idea, once the water has gone, that's it.

Meanwhile, back with eggs.
Four out of the six in the box I was using for making scrambled eggs, had double yolks.

citoyen

Four out of the six in the box I was using for making scrambled eggs, had double yolks.

Can you tell me what lottery numbers I should pick for Saturday, please?

Can you tell me what lottery numbers I should pick for Saturday, please?
;D Already been through that one....

Last year on a whim I bought a used copy of "The Silver Palate Cookbook" on Ebay for £1.75.   I leafed through it a bit, but have never really done any of the recipes.  Looking at it again I see the flysheet is annotated
"Andrew, I wanted you to have my favourite cookbook. Love, Bob" ........       :jurek:           I bought it from an ebay bookseller, so doubt the note is for me,   but here's to Bob & Andrew, I hope they are still cooking for each other  :thumbsup:

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/8752-the-silver-palates-chicken-marbella
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Bob with one terminal b, otherwise it could have been the perfect YACF long-distance food-based romance.

Apart from all the other YACF long-distance food-based romances...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Hunting in the depths of the wardrobe for a lost baseball cap I turned up a long-forgotten camera backpack of MrsT's. In it were her two OM-1s, one with a film still in it, and a bunch of other stuff including an open packet of sugar-free Fisherman's Friends. "That's nice" and I ate one.  There were also a couple of notebooks that I passed to her.  While she was browsing I ate another FF.  Then she found the list of shots on the film: last one was in 1997.

Anyone know how long Fisherman's Friends remain safely edible?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I suspect the FFs are SAFE for decades, if not a century.. Whether they are palatable is another matter.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Well, that's 2.4 decades to be going on with.  Tasted OK if you don't mind aspartame.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
The aspartame might degrade and become tasteless.
Harmless though...

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Making brioche with french purchased brioche flour and found out that the flour is from 2015.  Brioche flour contains powdered egg yolk.

Flour has been sifted and added salt sugar and yeast...

Wonder if it will be alright?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Might not rise too well and could taste a bit dodgy.  I doubt if it would hurt you, though, unless it got mouldy as well.

ETA MrsT chips in "I don't bother with the expiry dates, I just use whatever's there".

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
Might not rise too well and could taste a bit dodgy.  I doubt if it would hurt you, though, unless it got mouldy as well.

Tasted dodgy when fresh ;) that was the powdered egg, I think.  The packet mixing instructions do require alot more yeast than normal bread, 10g of yeast for 350g of flour, 100g butter and 175ml of half fat milk.

If there are weevils that means extra protein.

EDIT Looks a little thick still, have left it for a bit and will go back later and maybe add a bit of water.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
When making homemade burgers, from pork mince, would you add breadcrumbs and egg or just egg?

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
    • Someone's imaginary friend
Depends on how much salt you have in there. If not overly seasoned, I would add breadcrumbs, unless you don't mind them crumbly.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

If the pork is reasonably fatty (as it should be) then no egg. And not too many breadcrumbs either. A burger press helps enormously. Plenty of seasoning though.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith

Tasted dodgy when fresh ;) that was the powdered egg, I think.  The packet mixing instructions do require alot more yeast than normal bread, 10g of yeast for 350g of flour, 100g butter and 175ml of half fat milk.

If there are weevils that means extra protein.

EDIT Looks a little thick still, have left it for a bit and will go back later and maybe add a bit of water.

Well there is no rise and the little balls of yeast are still little balls of yeast.  It has gone in to the fridge and will see what happens.

EDIT Well it is a really slow 'bread' to rise.  After being in the fridge and on the counter the bread has risen.  So knocked back and wait for a rise till I make them in to boules.

Annoyed as I was looking forward to some grilled asparagus this evening, only to find that in this heat it had gone very stinky and furry  :(

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Our local Aldi got in a stock of accras de morue - Creole cod balls - last week so we bought a pack out of curiosity. Then after trying them went back and bought four more for the freezer.  Bloody marvellous they are.  Ours were fairly mild on the peppers, but I've since seen recipes that called for Scotch Bonnet pods.

I made your favourite, Fergus - Cod Creole. Only I didn't have any cod so I used pilchards.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
A Pedant writes:

It was Aunt Antonia, married to Uncle Hamish, who was the Cod Creole junkie.

I opened my eyes. Uncle Hamish was already rising from his sear, looking positively twinkly with health and good cheer. He rubbed his hands. "Very good," he said, moving in that oddly stiff and creaky way of his for the door. "Let us repair for some repast," he chuckled as he held the door open for me. "I believe Antonia has prepared something called Cod Creole." He sniffed the fishy air in the hall; we crossed to the dining room.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

citoyen

Sounds familiar... Crow Road?

Hamish & Antonia were The Crow Road.     There was also some reference to Scots/Indian fusion cuisine in Whit.  Haggis pakora anyone ?
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark