Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 516181 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
I was looking up the ingredients of an espresso martini at the weekend. I got directed to a recipe/advert page that had clickable links to preferred suppliers.
Ingredients:
45ml vodka
30ml espresso coffee
20ml Kahlua
2 drops saline solution.

My interest was piqued, although I may have used slighly less parliamentary language. I clicked the link on the saline solution. A 25ml bottle of salty water for a princely £2.97.  That's over three times the price of the recommended vodka.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
The last days of Rome...

cheese by citoyen, on Flickr
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

I was looking up the ingredients of an espresso martini at the weekend.

No cheese in your recipe, I see.

My dad did one last week using a recipe he got from the Guardian. It was a lot more complex than yours - required buying a bottle of Black Irish whiskey, made with stout. I'm intrigued. Hoping he's saved some for next time I'm over there, because I quite fancy trying it.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
It reminds me of a photo Clarion posted, possibly back in the old site, of mint choc chip cheese. I think that was also Wensleydale.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Why Espresso Martini Cheesoid exist?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

citoyen

In other food news, make a note of 14th April in your 'awareness days' diary...

Caution, may be a tad NSFW:

Strawberry flavoured After Eights in the supermarket yesterday. That's just wrong.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Why Espresso Martini Cheesoid exist?
I has some sticky toffee pudding cheese once. Actually far nicer than it sounds, but not to the extent that I actually bought some.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

In other food news, make a note of 14th April in your 'awareness days' diary...

Caution, may be a tad NSFW:

IIRC, a lapsed forumite killed two birds with one stone: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=58181.0  ;)
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

T42

• Apprentice geezer
ALDI had guinea-fowl capons today.  Never seen such a beast before, got one to try.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

citoyen

IIRC, a lapsed forumite killed two birds with one stone: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=58181.0  ;)

I knew what that link was going to be even before I clicked it. A veritable yacf classic.

ALDI had guinea-fowl capons today.  Never seen such a beast before, got one to try.

Mmmm the perfect Christmas roast! I wonder if they’re real (physically castrated) capons, or chemically castrated ones? 

In other news, Costa has a radio ad for it’s Christmas sandwich. Turkey, stuffing, pig in blanket - so far so good. All served between 2 slices of.. cheese topped bread. Nope, never in a month of Sundays. Cheesy roast  ::-)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
I still think it’s a shame no-one could actually be bothered to invent this in RL.

Above may contain traces of cheese Lie.

What passes for a tele-box chez moi has caught the Christmas perfume disease.

But nothing comes close to
Pois de Fromage pour l'homme du Nord.
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I'm on my fourth bag of Lidl lebkuchen so far this season. Oops ...

I had a bag of Sainsbury's Lebkuchen stars, which I hid from D who Does Not Like. I have eaten these and ordered more but are now unavailable.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Christmas shortages running in my favour so far, last week Waitrose credited me for a £25 bottle of wine bought for Christmas because of some imagined slight on their part. This week, running short of good single malt, I ordered a bottle of standard Laphroaig, they substituted it with a bottle of 10yo. I happily nursed a dose of that last night.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer

Mmmm the perfect Christmas roast! I wonder if they’re real (physically castrated) capons, or chemically castrated ones? 

I doubt if the law allows anything but physical castration, but I'll let you know if I notice any effects from residual hormones.  Mind you, at my age...

Jacques' 7-Ages speech from AYLI has been running through my mind since I plonked the unfortunate fowl into the trolley.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

In the UK physical castration is banned. I’m not sure capons here are anything more than fat chickens, they certainly don’t have the flavour of the real thing.

I doubt if the law allows anything but physical castration, but I'll let you know if I notice any effects from residual hormones.  Mind you, at my age...

Jacques' 7-Ages speech from AYLI has been running through my mind since I plonked the unfortunate fowl into the trolley.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

citoyen

And another one…

https://twitter.com/revrichardcoles/status/1473647591296585731?s=21

What I want to know is, why are they picking on Wensleydale? What heinous crime did Wensleydale commit to deserve this?

Cudzoziemiec

I don't know. Is it something to do with Wallace and Grommit?

ian

My opinion on cheese are known, but really, what is this horror? What errant marketdroid thought a little media coverage was worth the birth of such horror? Is there not enough horror in the world without espresso martini flavoured Wensleydale. That's not even a question.

ian

I've opened a portal now. Northern Monk have a cheese and onion lager and a prawn cocktail gose.

STOP THIS!

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
a prawn cocktail gose.

How is that even possible?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ian

I dunno, but what are prawn cocktail crisps? I'm pretty sure they don't include prawns. Krazy khemikalz.

Reminds me of the Tiny Rebel tzatziki sour, which was alright. For one mouthful. The second made me give it back.

I have a box of Northern Monk in the porch beer pile (along with Verdant, Deya, Howling Hops, 360 degrees, Pressure Drop, and probably some other stuff, I've not got to the bottom, cold weather has some perks like turning the porch into a giant walk-in beer fridge). I am assured there are no crisp flavour novelty beers in there.

I have bought my wife some watercress gin for the Christmas though, mostly because I like watercress.