Author Topic: "Slack" Rear derailleur  (Read 1653 times)

"Slack" Rear derailleur
« on: 04 September, 2010, 07:23:54 pm »
My rear derailleur is no longer keeping the chain taut when on small-small gear combinations - by this I mean that the chain will rest on the top of the chain stay if I'm free wheeling.  The problem is mainly when I am on the small front ring (39 tooth) and the outer three rear cogs (and, yes, I know that I shouldn't really use the smal-small combination).  The derailleur is about 8 or 10 years old and will have done in the order of 10 000 miles.  So should I just bite the bullet and buy a new one, or is it worth taking it off and giving it a good clean?

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: "Slack" Rear derailleur
« Reply #1 on: 04 September, 2010, 07:28:49 pm »
By all means clean it first. Use a good cleaner like the Finish Line citrus based one but if it really is that baggy then I think its time for a new one.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #2 on: 04 September, 2010, 07:51:41 pm »
I have found similar problems with ageing mechs.   Dismantling and cleaning the spring which sits around the frame bolt helps in my experience.

« Reply #3 on: 04 September, 2010, 08:01:56 pm »
Check it's not the freehub/freewheel getting stiff. If the chain goes slack when you back-pedal, it might not be the mech.

« Reply #4 on: 04 September, 2010, 09:08:40 pm »
Check it's not the freehub/freewheel getting stiff. If the chain goes slack when you back-pedal, it might not be the mech.
+1