Author Topic: 'Hot foot' SPD issues...  (Read 8916 times)

Re: 'Hot foot' SPD issues...
« Reply #25 on: 12 August, 2013, 06:59:20 pm »
You could try some gaffer tape on the inside of the shoe above the cleat, under the insole and over the adhesive patches provided which cover the cleat retention plate. Sometimes shoes have a thinnish insole which leaves you vulnerable to having the sole of your foot being impacted upon by the cleat creating a pressure point. The lidl shoes are fine for a local pootle but not for a long run. (nor are the cheaper Shimano shoes due to same issue).
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #26 on: 12 August, 2013, 09:47:05 pm »
CF soled shoes are just that.  The sole is a cf reinforced composite. Generally it's a "flat" sole with raised tread to "recess" the cleat for walking.  Inside the shoe is an insole. Oh, and they're VERY expensive.

http://www.wheelies.co.uk/p38663/Specialized-S-Works-MTB-Shoe.aspx

Thanks. Just to be clear though - in these s-works/top end/similar shoes if one pulled the insole out,  the cleat mount would not be visible, simply the carbon sole or perhaps some additional material on top of the carbon soles i.e. the cleat mount is not exposed to the inside of the shoe.

OK, well on mine (the Spesh ones I linked to) there is, under the removable insole, another thin felt-like covering of the carbon sole, and the cleat area is concealed (although there is a removable strip to access it should one want to)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #27 on: 13 August, 2013, 01:44:54 am »
I get this pretty bad on the Recumbent trike when wearing the Shimano SPD sandals. They don't seem to have any kind of removable insole or any access to the top plate above the cleats from the top of the lining of the inner sole. I could try using some double sided tape on inner soles but it might look a bit on the "Train spotter with Sellotaped glasses" overall look.
Any other more tidy ideas would be appreciated.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #28 on: 13 August, 2013, 08:15:58 am »
I get this pretty bad on the Recumbent trike when wearing the Shimano SPD sandals.
:o

I simply don't believe this - I've been reading YACF long enough to know that SPD sandals cure everything, and are suitable for rides upto at least 2000km (a week) between January and December, rain or shine.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #29 on: 13 August, 2013, 09:44:26 am »
Hot foot?

Shoes are too narrow. Get some better fitted width shoes.

« Reply #30 on: 13 August, 2013, 09:48:17 am »
I get this pretty bad on the Recumbent trike when wearing the Shimano SPD sandals.

I simply don't believe this - I've been reading YACF long enough to know that SPD sandals cure everything, and are suitable for rides upto at least 2000km (a week) between January and December, rain or shine.

Ah, but SPD Sandals magic panacea powers will be cancelled out by riding a recumbent, which (as any fule who has read YACF for long enough knows) also cures all known comfort problems.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #31 on: 13 August, 2013, 11:14:58 am »
Thanks, will take a look.  I've seen these:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/shimano/xc50-spd-mtb-shoes-ec039082

Recessed - inasmuch as they have outer treads rather than the cleat sunk into the sole.   Class fibre reinforced - my guess is carbon is more expensive (?)  Mind you £80 seems a fair bit for shoes. 

On my Lidl shoes, the plate that the cleats mount on is very rigid - so I guess it's either the section 'inside' the shoe, or the whole assembly being pressed in by pressure on pedal.
I have a pair of those. Must have the right shaped foot because they're the most comfortable shoes I own, including non cycling shoes. Can cycle to work wearing them then walk around all day comfortably. Have to be a bit careful on hard shiny surfaces though.

Much more comfortable than the two or three pairs of cheaper Shimano SPD shoes I had prior.

My spell checker tries to turn 'Shimano' into 'Hiroshima'.

« Reply #32 on: 13 August, 2013, 09:36:26 pm »
Thanks all.  I've duct taped some inner tube over the cleat mount plate recess (with the thin foam bit in place), and over this - a piece of 'tin snipped' (and filed down) 1mm thick aluminium plate in the shape of the top half of an insole, with the original insole on top, and have dispensed with the additional insole.  The shoes feel comfortable, but now the proof is in the cycling.   :)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #33 on: 13 August, 2013, 10:52:42 pm »

I simply don't believe this - I've been reading YACF long enough to know that SPD sandals cure everything, and are suitable for rides up to at least 2000km (a week) between January and December, rain or shine.
Yebbut their powers are cancelled by thinking about getting a pair of Rainlegs for next December!
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #34 on: 14 August, 2013, 08:04:36 am »
Thanks all.  I've duct taped some inner tube over the cleat mount plate recess (with the thin foam bit in place), and over this - a piece of 'tin snipped' (and filed down) 1mm thick aluminium plate in the shape of the top half of an insole, with the original insole on top, and have dispensed with the additional insole.  The shoes feel comfortable, but now the proof is in the cycling.   :)

Aluminium plate.  ;) ;D

Don’t put too much squashy stuff in your shoes, as this is continually compressing and relaxing with every pedal stroke, and heating up in the process.

« Reply #35 on: 14 August, 2013, 02:10:50 pm »

Aluminium plate.  ;) ;D

Don’t put too much squashy stuff in your shoes, as this is continually compressing and relaxing with every pedal stroke, and heating up in the process.

... Aluminum sheeting  ???

Hopefully won't be a problem, the soles are very rigid and the Al won't get to bend much.  I can always remove the rubber beneath/reduce the size of the Al piece.  Will see what happens.

« Reply #36 on: 14 August, 2013, 08:12:39 pm »
Psss't dont cycle in those when there is lightning about!

« Reply #37 on: 14 August, 2013, 09:31:57 pm »
Psss't dont cycle in those when there is lightning about!

Although even full rubber shoes or tyres for that matter apparentlly provide no real protection from lightning anyway...   ;)

« Reply #38 on: 14 August, 2013, 11:21:41 pm »
I was shocked (no pun intended) to read that some 60 peeps a year in the UK are hit by lightning each year.

« Reply #39 on: 14 August, 2013, 11:37:23 pm »
Problem: Attack of  hot  foot  due  to waffle moulding inside soles of shoes on somewhere several hundred  K into Mille Cymru  in deepest Wales:

Cure Blue-tack from open all hours store pushed into holes  and  covered  with thick polythene to stop it  sticking where  not  required Still in place  :)

Squarewheels

• Too much cake :sick:
« Reply #40 on: 15 August, 2013, 05:52:25 pm »
This may be a bit late  :facepalm:, but there is a small piece in issue 279 (most recent one - arrived today) of C+. It mentions shoe size, inserts and cleats position to be the main ways of helping it.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #41 on: 22 August, 2013, 10:33:04 am »
anecdata: i've done many miles and long rides in lidl shoes (lel, mille miglia), never had a problem with my feet. recently, wearing 2013 s-works shoes i started to get numb toes on the second day into eleven day ride. i think it's the inserts that weren't quite right for my not-so-standard-shaped feet (overpronating but with high arch).

« Reply #42 on: 22 August, 2013, 09:06:43 pm »
We are all unique I guess.

« Reply #43 on: 23 August, 2013, 06:07:56 am »
We are all unique I guess.

I'm not ....

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #44 on: 23 August, 2013, 09:17:52 am »
Certainly the idea of moving the cleats back (often recommended for hot foot) would be anathema to me.  I have always put mine as far forward as they will go.  Each to his own.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #45 on: 23 August, 2013, 09:39:52 am »
While I use Shimano shoes for most occasions, on longer rides (100k+) use my Northwaves, which are radically different, effectively stiff road shoes but still with recessed SPD.

Here's what it looks like

The plastic substrate it sits on (I don't _think_ it is carbon) is not just very stiff like the shimano but pretty solid. Heel to toe, flexing in my hands, there is only 10mm of movement for anything below destructive force.

This has two effects.

1 - It appears to eliminate hot foot, at any of the distances I have ridden (max 250km)
2 - It adds another level of complexity to clipping in, requiring and adjustment from my standard technique. When you fail to remember this, the shoe slides off before engaging resulting in a pedal/shin interface.

ETA: I have VERY broad feet

« Reply #46 on: 05 September, 2013, 07:05:55 pm »
I got hot foot for the first time this summer.  Very painful.  Would have to stop every half hour or so and hop about a bit till it went away.  Did lots of research on the net and found that everyone who suffered had a different solution to offer.  Many of these involved spending lots of money for stiffer shoes etc.

My LBS owner saw me eyeing up some 300 euro Specialized shoes and told me not to waste my cash.  It's your foot swelling up, he said.  Just take your sock off.  If that doesn't do it, take the insole out.

Well I have wide shoes, and they felt comfortably loose to me - even too loose - so I considered his advice off the mark.  Especially as some had suggested buying expensive, often thicker, socks would do the trick, and others said special insoles were what's needed.

But taking a sock off was quick and cheap to try out, so I did.

End of problem!  YMMV

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #47 on: 05 September, 2013, 07:42:08 pm »

End of problem!  YMMV
in this case, it almost certainly will!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #48 on: 05 September, 2013, 09:05:31 pm »

End of problem!  YMMV
Sandals FTW

« Reply #49 on: 11 September, 2013, 09:27:59 pm »
 I am a recent sandal convert and must say how immensely comfortable they are.